Noodler's Konrad Brush Pen

mcg1355

My new noodler's Konrad brush pen arrived today after just becoming available at the Goulet's last Friday. I was amazed that they shipped my order the same day that I ordered it. This review is as of using the pen for a few hours so far this morning. I will add anything helpful that I find as I use the pen in replies to the review.

Note: Since this pen is the exact same body as the large rollerball I reviewed a little bit ago I am essentially copying that review over so that all the information will be with the brush pen review instead of just having a few pictures and then linking to that review. There is also some new content added to talk about the brush pen specifically.

Fit and finish:

My first thought when opening the box for this pen was that it looked like what I would call a working pen. It doesn't have a mirror quality super polished finish on any of the surfaces, but at the same time there are no blemishes or manufacturing marks that I can find anywhere. Essentially it looks really nice, however, I am not going to worry at all about scratches or signs of wear showing up through use.

All of the parts fit together perfectly and nothing is loose or wobbly feeling. The piston movement is buttery smooth which was a pleasant surprise after some problems encountered with my noodler's flex pens. The cap threads are snug and secure feeling; I would have no concerns of it coming uncapped in my pocket or bag. The clip is different from other noodler's pens. It is flatter, shorter, has a faster taper, more springy (softer with more movement), and features a nice round ball at the end making it much easier to clip in your pocket without catches and snags. Also, noodlers ink is imprinted in smaller letters making the clip look cleaner. The attachment ring for the clip makes a nice silver accent to balance out the silver ring on the piston nob. Finally, the cap band has noodlers ink stamped on it as well. A small detail that adds to the overall package. (ugh, this seems like a wordy review, but it gets better, look down there's smileys, see it must get better)

On the barrel the grip has a nice large diameter (approx. 0.4in or 10.1mm) which is close to the largest diameter of the barrel (0.475in or 12.0mm). I found this makes the pen vary comfortable to hold in my larger hands as my middle and first finger rest on the grip and my thumb rests on the barrel above the cap threads. The clear ink window is a vary nice feature found just up the barrel from the cap threads. On the black model the window has a vary slight yellow tinge to it caused by the black resin. I have heard that the burgundy colored version has a perfectly clear ink window. I purchased the burgundy brush pen and own the black rollerball and the ink window in the burgundy brush pen is indeed perfectly clear this can be seen in the pictures posted below. I have also experienced this on the noodler's piston fill fountain pens, my black one has yellowed windows while my grey one is perfectly clear. The ink window on this pen is covered up when capped making it so you have to uncap the pen to check the level. Not much of a problem but it could be an inconvenience for some. When the cap is posted on the barrel there is a vary gratifying click feeling much like the buttons that Audi is known for putting in their cars. I think this is from the cap "clicking" onto the silver ring on the piston nob. It is vary clear when the cap is posted and it is not coming off, a nice feeling after crushing one of my noodler's fountain pen caps with my desk chair after it slipped off in use :bonk: :doh:.

Disassembly and cleaning:

The piston is removed by fully extending it and then you keep turning the piston nob. This will cause the piston to spin in the barrel which can be seen in the ink window. Note: if the piston is not spinning you will get a clicking sound, this is the piston rod being extended out of its threads and then dropping back in as you unscrew the piston nob. I was concerned this may cause damage and found a simple solution. If you look in the ink window you can see the end of the feed sticking up into the barrel, simply unscrew the feed part way or remove it completely. Once the feed is out of the way the piston will spin freely in my experience. Once the feed is unscrewed and the piston is removed you can simply wash the piston and run water through the barrel. To clean the tip unscrew the ebonite feed with the brush still in it and rinse / soak it with water. Wash the brush WHILE THE INK IS STILL WET to avoid any staining problems. The brush is replaceable and Nathan covers it much better than I ever could in his video

. New brush installation begins at 15:35 and piston restoration begins at 29:33. The piston restoration is vary easy to perform (I did it on my rollerball just because I like to tinker with my pens) if you feel like doing it or if you are a normal person and have to do it once your piston fails :lol:.

Reassembly is vary easy as well. The feed is screwed into the barrel until you can just see it appearing in the ink window. Apply 100% silicone grease to the piston and piston mechanism. When I first disassembled this pen I found a vary generous amount of silicone grease on the piston threads which was probably the reason for the buttery smooth piston movement, so I continued this liberal application of silicone and still have a buttery smooth piston :P if it aint' broke don't fix it.

I also want to note that the large rollerball and this brush pen use the same exact body, therefore, you can unscrew the feed from one pen and screw it into the other. So since I have the black rollerball and the burgundy brush pen I could easily swap them out and have a black brush pen and a burgundy rollerball. Thought that might be helpful for anyone that is considering both or already has one and is considering the other.

Use and performance:

I'm going to start this section off by saying this is the first brush pen that I have ever used and therefore don't really have anything to compare it to. That being said I'll do my best. The brush is a goods size and give you the ability to write from super fine strokes to vary wide ones and everywhere in between, that is, assuming you have the skill needed to make it happen. Turns out that is something I need to work on :D. Also, you can change the size of the brush when you are replacing it which is also covered in the video by Nathan that I linked above. The brush consistently forms back to a nice point, only occasionally forming more of a fan end (it is still vary small just not a perfect point) after repetitive aggressive super wide strokes. I was happily surprised at how easily the flow was able to keep up with even vary fast and wide strokes without any hesitation. Also, there is no need for pumping or priming the brush at any point which is awesome if you ask me. I have heard that this can be a complaint with some other brush pens available. I am still learning the skills needed to properly operate a brush pen but have found it amazingly enjoyable for the little while I have used it so far.

After filling the pen and wiping off the grip and feed it is necessary to wick the excess ink from between the ebonite feed and the section. According to the directions that come with the pen this is the way that all self filling stylos have been for the past 95 years. I can say that if you don't wick the excess ink away you get drips with more aggressive movement of the pen, however, you don't after wicking the ink away.

Dimensions: for those number minded people out there

Weight: 15g or 0.53oz (thank you going out to goulet pens, I don't have a scale anywhere near that sensitive)

Capped: 4.973in or 126.3mm (precision measuring I can handle, weighing not so much)

Uncapped: 4.732in or 120.2mm (I'm sure metric would be better in cm but it's late so you're stuck with mm)

Posted: 5.469in or 138.9mm (personally I can only use it posted, but I have jumbo hands)

I think that hits the highlights for the numbers. If your number craving is still not satisfied head over to Goulet Pens to get even more, it's the least I could do after stealing their weights. No affiliation blah blah blah and so on.

Comparative pictures: for those visually minded people out there

All pens capped:

post-64825-0-17637600-1317671566.jpg

From left to right: Kaweco AC Sport, Noodler's Large Rollerball, Free Brush Pen with Noodler's Ink, Noodler's Konrad Brush Pen, Noodler's Flex Pen, Lamy Safari, TWSBI ROC 540, Pilot Vanishing Point, Namiki Falcon.

All pens posted:

post-64825-0-13979400-1317671571.jpg

All pens uncapped:

post-64825-0-54814200-1317671576.jpg

And finally here is an A4 sheet from a Rhodia pad that I scribbled around on so that you can get an idea of the lines it makes. Please remember I have absolutely no clue how to use this thing properly.

post-64825-0-67335400-1317671582.jpg

If I missed anything, there are any errors, or there are still sections remaining that are about the rollerball instead of the brush pen please let me know and I'll correct them.

Thanks,

-Nick

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aberwacky

• mcg1355

• Moondrop

• saketb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting this. I liked the idea behind this brush pen when watched Nathan's video about it. Now I know I want one. :)

BTW, you mentioned the window being covered up when the pen is capped. This is what I've become accustomed to with my Pelikans ('cept for the Go!). I recently saw a pen with an ink view window that's visible when capped (can't remember the name of the pen right now) and it looked odd to me. I think I prefer the window to be visible only when uncapped.

My new noodler's Konrad brush pen arrived today after just becoming available at the Goulet's last Friday. I was amazed that they shipped my order the same day that I ordered it. This review is as of using the pen for a few hours so far this morning. I will add anything helpful that I find as I use the pen in replies to the review.

Note: Since this pen is the exact same body as the large rollerball I reviewed a little bit ago I am essentially copying that review over so that all the information will be with the brush pen review instead of just having a few pictures and then linking to that review. There is also some new content added to talk about the brush pen specifically.

Fit and finish:

My first thought when opening the box for this pen was that it looked like what I would call a working pen. It doesn't have a mirror quality super polished finish on any of the surfaces, but at the same time there are no blemishes or manufacturing marks that I can find anywhere. Essentially it looks really nice, however, I am not going to worry at all about scratches or signs of wear showing up through use.

All of the parts fit together perfectly and nothing is loose or wobbly feeling. The piston movement is buttery smooth which was a pleasant surprise after some problems encountered with my noodler's flex pens. The cap threads are snug and secure feeling; I would have no concerns of it coming uncapped in my pocket or bag. The clip is different from other noodler's pens. It is flatter, shorter, has a faster taper, more springy (softer with more movement), and features a nice round ball at the end making it much easier to clip in your pocket without catches and snags. Also, noodlers ink is imprinted in smaller letters making the clip look cleaner. The attachment ring for the clip makes a nice silver accent to balance out the silver ring on the piston nob. Finally, the cap band has noodlers ink stamped on it as well. A small detail that adds to the overall package. (ugh, this seems like a wordy review, but it gets better, look down there's smileys, see it must get better)

On the barrel the grip has a nice large diameter (approx. 0.4in or 10.1mm) which is close to the largest diameter of the barrel (0.475in or 12.0mm). I found this makes the pen vary comfortable to hold in my larger hands as my middle and first finger rest on the grip and my thumb rests on the barrel above the cap threads. The clear ink window is a vary nice feature found just up the barrel from the cap threads. On the black model the window has a vary slight yellow tinge to it caused by the black resin. I have heard that the burgundy colored version has a perfectly clear ink window. I purchased the burgundy brush pen and own the black rollerball and the ink window in the burgundy brush pen is indeed perfectly clear this can be seen in the pictures posted below. I have also experienced this on the noodler's piston fill fountain pens, my black one has yellowed windows while my grey one is perfectly clear. The ink window on this pen is covered up when capped making it so you have to uncap the pen to check the level. Not much of a problem but it could be an inconvenience for some. When the cap is posted on the barrel there is a vary gratifying click feeling much like the buttons that Audi is known for putting in their cars. I think this is from the cap "clicking" onto the silver ring on the piston nob. It is vary clear when the cap is posted and it is not coming off, a nice feeling after crushing one of my noodler's fountain pen caps with my desk chair after it slipped off in use :bonk: :doh:.

Disassembly and cleaning:

The piston is removed by fully extending it and then you keep turning the piston nob. This will cause the piston to spin in the barrel which can be seen in the ink window. Note: if the piston is not spinning you will get a clicking sound, this is the piston rod being extended out of its threads and then dropping back in as you unscrew the piston nob. I was concerned this may cause damage and found a simple solution. If you look in the ink window you can see the end of the feed sticking up into the barrel, simply unscrew the feed part way or remove it completely. Once the feed is out of the way the piston will spin freely in my experience. Once the feed is unscrewed and the piston is removed you can simply wash the piston and run water through the barrel. To clean the tip unscrew the ebonite feed with the brush still in it and rinse / soak it with water. Wash the brush WHILE THE INK IS STILL WET to avoid any staining problems. The brush is replaceable and Nathan covers it much better than I ever could in his video

. New brush installation begins at 15:35 and piston restoration begins at 29:33. The piston restoration is vary easy to perform (I did it on my rollerball just because I like to tinker with my pens) if you feel like doing it or if you are a normal person and have to do it once your piston fails :lol:.

Reassembly is vary easy as well. The feed is screwed into the barrel until you can just see it appearing in the ink window. Apply 100% silicone grease to the piston and piston mechanism. When I first disassembled this pen I found a vary generous amount of silicone grease on the piston threads which was probably the reason for the buttery smooth piston movement, so I continued this liberal application of silicone and still have a buttery smooth piston :P if it aint' broke don't fix it.

I also want to note that the large rollerball and this brush pen use the same exact body, therefore, you can unscrew the feed from one pen and screw it into the other. So since I have the black rollerball and the burgundy brush pen I could easily swap them out and have a black brush pen and a burgundy rollerball. Thought that might be helpful for anyone that is considering both or already has one and is considering the other.

Use and performance:

I'm going to start this section off by saying this is the first brush pen that I have ever used and therefore don't really have anything to compare it to. That being said I'll do my best. The brush is a goods size and give you the ability to write from super fine strokes to vary wide ones and everywhere in between, that is, assuming you have the skill needed to make it happen. Turns out that is something I need to work on :D. Also, you can change the size of the brush when you are replacing it which is also covered in the video by Nathan that I linked above. The brush consistently forms back to a nice point, only occasionally forming more of a fan end (it is still vary small just not a perfect point) after repetitive aggressive super wide strokes. I was happily surprised at how easily the flow was able to keep up with even vary fast and wide strokes without any hesitation. Also, there is no need for pumping or priming the brush at any point which is awesome if you ask me. I have heard that this can be a complaint with some other brush pens available. I am still learning the skills needed to properly operate a brush pen but have found it amazingly enjoyable for the little while I have used it so far.

After filling the pen and wiping off the grip and feed it is necessary to wick the excess ink from between the ebonite feed and the section. According to the directions that come with the pen this is the way that all self filling stylos have been for the past 95 years. I can say that if you don't wick the excess ink away you get drips with more aggressive movement of the pen, however, you don't after wicking the ink away.

Dimensions: for those number minded people out there

Weight: 15g or 0.53oz (thank you going out to goulet pens, I don't have a scale anywhere near that sensitive)

Capped: 4.973in or 126.3mm (precision measuring I can handle, weighing not so much)

Uncapped: 4.732in or 120.2mm (I'm sure metric would be better in cm but it's late so you're stuck with mm)

Posted: 5.469in or 138.9mm (personally I can only use it posted, but I have jumbo hands)

I think that hits the highlights for the numbers. If your number craving is still not satisfied head over to Goulet Pens to get even more, it's the least I could do after stealing their weights. No affiliation blah blah blah and so on.

Comparative pictures: for those visually minded people out there

All pens capped:

post-64825-0-17637600-1317671566.jpg

From left to right: Kaweco AC Sport, Noodler's Large Rollerball, Free Brush Pen with Noodler's Ink, Noodler's Konrad Brush Pen, Noodler's Flex Pen, Lamy Safari, TWSBI ROC 540, Pilot Vanishing Point, Namiki Falcon.

All pens posted:

post-64825-0-13979400-1317671571.jpg

All pens uncapped:

post-64825-0-54814200-1317671576.jpg

And finally here is an A4 sheet from a Rhodia pad that I scribbled around on so that you can get an idea of the lines it makes. Please remember I have absolutely no clue how to use this thing properly.

post-64825-0-67335400-1317671582.jpg

If I missed anything, there are any errors, or there are still sections remaining that are about the rollerball instead of the brush pen please let me know and I'll correct them.

Thanks,

-Nick

Edited by Moondrop

"We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?"

Thanks for the review of the brush pen. Its looks pretty impressive and useful...

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

I got mine today, and so far I'm enjoying it. I also have a Kuretake brush pen (loaded with Platinum Carbon for sketching) and after using it a few minutes, prefer the Kuretake's brush slightly, because it's springier a bit (and probably because that's what I'm used to!) Shortening the Conrad brush by pushing it up a bit helped, but the ink almost floods out now. I need to watch Nathan's video again to check the adjustments, and I think I want to get a few replacement brushes for experimenting with different sizes.

Of all the brush pens I have (and I have a lot--more than I'd care to admit--from hair brushes to converted waterbrushes), this comes in a close second to the Kuretake, and it's $13 cheaper. I already have plans to buy another. It's a great introduction to the brush pen, and an excellent value.

Leigh

I got mine today, and so far I'm enjoying it. I also have a Kuretake brush pen (loaded with Platinum Carbon for sketching) and after using it a few minutes, prefer the Kuretake's brush slightly, because it's springier a bit (and probably because that's what I'm used to!) Shortening the Conrad brush by pushing it up a bit helped, but the ink almost floods out now. I need to watch Nathan's video again to check the adjustments, and I think I want to get a few replacement brushes for experimenting with different sizes.

Of all the brush pens I have (and I have a lot--more than I'd care to admit--from hair brushes to converted waterbrushes), this comes in a close second to the Kuretake, and it's $13 cheaper. I already have plans to buy another. It's a great introduction to the brush pen, and an excellent value.

Leigh

Congrats! I am also planing on ordering some replacement brushes to play with. It seems like it is a little large for me, but that could just be me not being used to brush pens so I'm not really sure what I prefer yet. Let me know how your experimenting turns out.

I have been thinking about ordering another brush pen with a bottle of highlighter ink, I would then use the brush pen as a highlighter. Anyone think this would work? The closest ink I have to try is noodler's apache sunset, but I don't really know how well that would work for a highlighter test to see if it is something I want to order.

-Nick

Brush pens are great with highlighter ink! You can underline with a fine line or use a broad stroke for covering larger areas. I've used the Noodler's Dragon Catfish Green with both a Preppy Highlighter and an inexpensive waterbrush (Pentel), and it works well.

Leigh