Comparison : Diamine Denim :: Indigo :: Prussian Blue

Sandy1

Hi,

This comparison was triggered by my curiosity, (aka 'the perceived need'), about three Diamine colours shown here.

There was a thought that Diamine 'Indigo' ink did not match that name. My suggestion was 'Automotive Primer Coat', but that wouldn't really encourage most consumers to buy it by the gross.

Then we have the recent ink, named 'Denim'. Well, as wiki well knows, denim is cotton woven a specific way, it simply is not a colour. However, the word 'denim' has a connotation of garments known as 'blue jeans' or 'jean jackets', which are most often made of denim and typically coloured with an indigo-coloured dyestuff.

Then of course one Member who shall not be identified, (DanielCoffee) thought that Denim may be a darker version of Prussian Blue. I thought that ink was a 'dusky Blue-Black'. :wacko:

And so.

Here we are.

Another three-way.

To juxtapose all inks, the first ink (Denim) is repeated.

At this time I have not done a Review of the Prussian Blue, so I shall decline to compare intangibles. All other stuff one can see from the scans. I shall leave it to the reader to query and/or comment as they wish. So let's cut to the chase:

~O~

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576-1-2.jpg

~o~

The ubiquitous but flakey swabs were not used, rather down-strokes from the 330.

Denim:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/c6927b33.jpg

Prussian Blue:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/122e50fe.jpg

Indigo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/cd0f64b2.jpg

Denim:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/c6927b33.jpg

Written Samples

Denim

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/c07a2262.jpg

Prussian Blue

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/1b1eaaa5.jpg

Indigo

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/38bc799b.jpg

Denim

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/c07a2262.jpg

Hi-Res Images

Denim:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/dff3a29f.jpg

Prussian Blue:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/c0f0d428.jpg

Indigo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/b5cac751.jpg

Denim:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Diamine%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue%20Indigo%202/dff3a29f.jpg

Other Stuff

Denim:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Denim/12618399.jpg

Prussian Blue:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20Diamine%20Indigo%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue/24adf4c0.jpg

Indigo:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20Diamine%20Indigo%20Denim%20Prussian%20Blue/f2feb9b5.jpg

Links to Ink Reviews:

======

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens:

• Samples: Sheaffer Imperial 330 + steel M nib.
  • For lines & labels: Pilot Penmanship with Pelikan Turquoise, and a 2H pencil.

______

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

______

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Down-strokes were scanned at 400 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Full written samples were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted post-capture, so went straight to photobucket.

______

Densitometer Readings

______

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of materiel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Comparison Review Diamine Denim Indigo Prussian Blue Blue-Black Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• saketb

• lovemy51

• uzkntuocmw

Interesting, thanks. Would you happen to have Diamine Midnight?

Thankfully not

Thankfully not

Well, I like Midnight!!!!!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Interesting blues and an expert comparison. I liked the denim...

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

Thankfully not

Well, I like Midnight!!!!!

Hi

Is someone angling for a four-way?

or suggesting I should get more ink?

or . . .

:happyberet:

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Thank-you!

Thank-you!!

Thank-you!!!

As always, Sandy1, I appreciate your efforts to create useful and objective reviews - the comparisons are more useful yet.

Judging from your scans, Denim might be better named "new blue jeans."

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

As always, Sandy1, I appreciate your efforts to create useful and objective reviews - the comparisons are more useful yet.

Judging from your scans, Denim might be better named "new blue jeans."

Hi,

Thank-you!

It seems that as more inks enter the market, the task of choosing amongst them grows more difficult. Even if one were to purchase a vast array, the decision remains as to what ink to use in a given circumstance.

Hopefully the current format of the Ink Reviews allows ad hoc comparison, but I think that some stand-alone Comparisons are still needed from time to time. To enhance ad hoc comparison, I may be adding written samples to some early Ink Reviews.

As for the ink naming, perhaps Diamine could run a 'name this ink' sort of thing. (Oh my - how cheeky!)

Bye,

S1

B) woah! where are my shades... that denim color sure looks vibrant on the monitor!!!!

those strokes from your pen look good anough for me, sandy. thx!

B) woah! where are my shades... that denim color sure looks vibrant on the monitor!!!!

Hi,

When viewing the ink-on-paper originals, there is a certain 'luminosity' to Denim. However, the ink being rather low saturation, the full-on luminosity is not carried forward to one's monitor.

The rather dry Sheaffer 330 allows the paper to show-through all inks shown. Use of a wetter pen would have given a different result of course, and those results can be seen next door in the Ink Reviews, both from other members and/or ones I have posted. (By the looks of things, I would much prefer PR from a wetter writer, and avoid Indigo altogether, but that's just me.)

Bye,

S1

Yet another great comparison from the Ink Queen!

I'll add a couple more renaming possiblities: I think Denim = New Blue Jeans, and Indigo=Blue Jeans That Have Gone Through the Wash a Few Times (bit long though, eh?).

I actually prefer the Indigo over Denim, but then again, I've always preferred faded jeans over the purply looking "new" jeans. I think a few samples from the Goulets might be in order...

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

Hi,

When viewing the ink-on-paper originals, there is a certain 'luminosity' to Denim. However, the ink being rather low saturation, the full-on luminosity is not carried forward to one's monitor.

The rather dry Sheaffer 330 allows the paper to show-through all inks shown. Use of a wetter pen would have given a different result of course, and those results can be seen next door in the Ink Reviews, both from other members and/or ones I have posted. (By the looks of things, I would much prefer PR from a wetter writer, and avoid Indigo altogether, but that's just me.)

Bye,

S1

bummer! and i thought it was gonna be that vibrant! being a lover of all blue inks, i don't mind owning this one and i do have indigo and like it too.

thx, Sandy, for always being on top of all the replies. greatly appreciated.

Yet another great comparison from the Ink Queen!

I'll add a couple more renaming possiblities: I think Denim = New Blue Jeans, and Indigo=Blue Jeans That Have Gone Through the Wash a Few Times (bit long though, eh?).

I actually prefer the Indigo over Denim, but then again, I've always preferred faded jeans over the purply looking "new" jeans. I think a few samples from the Goulets might be in order...

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

Unfortunately, over time Indigo hasn't been able to bootstrap out of the Mixing Corral: there's the colour and the way the ink performs. Even in the initial Review, I used a goodly number of pens, to no avail; and have yet to find a pen+paper combo that suits Indigo. (Not such a high priority.)

And of course - we should all have more ink! :rolleyes:

Bye,

S1

Hi,

✃ snip ✁

Bye,

S1

bummer! and i thought it was gonna be that vibrant! being a lover of all blue inks, i don't mind owning this one and i do have indigo and like it too.

thx, Sandy, for always being on top of all the replies. greatly appreciated.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Denim is 'animated' and has some 'luminosity', but I think it is too dark for me to consider it 'vibrant'. (Its not a darker version of Baystate Blue!)

Bye,

S1

• 2 months later...

I don't have any of them.

From the review, I did like the Prussian blue most, Indigo second and Denim not much.

Indigo appears to hit the shading harder, but Prussian blue over a wider color range.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 5 weeks later...

Sandy1,

My recent limited observations and experience are as follow in regards to Denim and Prussian Blue:

Despite very good reviews, I found the Prussian Blue to feather and bleed through excessively, to the point where I could not use the ink on a daily basis.

The Denim looks very much like a shade darker version of the Prussian Blue, but I find it to be one of the best behaving Diamine inks I have ever used. I have it in my Pilot VP right now and I am enjoying every second of it.

I am currently using Aurora Blue as my primary blue ink, but the Denim looks like a good choice to supplement it.

Sandy1,

My recent limited observations and experience are as follow in regards to Denim and Prussian Blue:

Despite very good reviews, I found the Prussian Blue to feather and bleed through excessively, to the point where I could not use the ink on a daily basis.

The Denim looks very much like a shade darker version of the Prussian Blue, but I find it to be one of the best behaving Diamine inks I have ever used. I have it in my Pilot VP right now and I am enjoying every second of it.

I am currently using Aurora Blue as my primary blue ink, but the Denim looks like a good choice to supplement it.

Hi,

Many thanks for enriching this thread with your your experience.

I have yet to review DPBl, but I did not notice the feathering and bleed-through you mentioned on these few wee samples.

I still encounter problems with Denim show-through. Perhaps I should try a 28lb copy paper, (the 32lb HP is likely too heavy.)

Bye,

S1