Rosetta North Star, Midnight Black, "f"

writebyhand

Introduction

The Rosetta North Star exists on the periphery of the market and is sold in small numbers. It is sold directly by its relatively unknown manufacturer, over Ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/streetfair) and from a website (http://www.ipenstore.com/).

The Rosetta line of pens are rarely discussed on Fountain Pen Network and the details of their provenance are unknown to me. The vendor website, www.ipenstore.com, is registered to a "Chester Evers." The pen arrives with a receipt from iPenStore and lists a Saline, Michigan return address. iPenStore is a limited liability company organized in Michigan; it lists Chester Evers as its agent and an Ann Arbor, Michigan address (http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp/dt_llc.asp?id_nbr=D2271W&name_entity=IPENSTORE,%20LLC/). I have not identified the country where these pens are manufactured. The nib is manufactured by Schmidt in Germany (http://www.ipenstore.com/servlet/the-2038/Rosetta-NORTH-STAR-Fountain/Detail/).

Fountain Pen Network is rich in reviews of most models of pens. However, I decided a review of this pen would be useful for a few reasons: (1) only one prior review exists (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9564); (2) the pen is priced at $50, a price few competing products match; (3) the pen has a classic and understated design, uncommon qualities for a pen priced in the range of $50.

Appearance & Design (1-10) 8

The pen has a classic, attractive design and may be appreciated by those who prefer traditional, simple and unobtrusive pens. The nib is relatively large, both in absolute terms and compared to the body of the pen. When capped, the pen itself is large, at 5 ½ inches. The one ornamentation is the Rosetta compass on the top of the pen, which is set under a clear piece of plastic. The compass's design and color complement the rest of the pen well; while the pen, all its furniture, and the nib are dark black or silver, the Rosetta compass is a gold color. Uncapped, the pen comes across as very traditional, and, if made out of a different resin, could pass as an early twentieth century pen. The section normally covered by the cap is markedly narrower than the main body of the pen, and the finger grip is flared.

Construction & Quality (1-10) 5

The pen's construction is basically sound but some parts of the pen evince low-quality construction. The clip is made out of more than one part, and the part attached directly to the cap is not flush with the rest of the clip. The Rosetta compass on the top of the cap is off-kilter, as one of the compass points seems as though intended to line up with the clip, but slightly off. The threading on the inside of the cap is clearly of low quality. The clip is attached to the cap by a phillips-head screw that one can see by shining a flashlight into the cap. Perhaps the vendor will one day provide replacement clips that can be installed by customers in case of breakage.

Weight & Dimensions (1-10) 6

The pen is substantial, but the plastic construction and lack of an integral filling mechanism means its weight is modest (though the pen feels solid). While it feels unwieldy when capped or posted, the pen is manageable when unposted.

The pen is so well-balanced when unposted, and feels so poorly balanced when posted, that it seems as if designed to be used unposted. Here, I am at a loss when it comes to the question of whether to fault the designers. Ideally, I would think, a pen would feel reasonably balanced whether posted or unposted, even if designed primarily with one mode in mind. However, perhaps I am unfair if I do other than critique the pen in the light of the goals of its designers.

The converter included with the pen is of solid, durable construction. Not one, but two, tiny rubber gaskets surround the tip of the plunger. The converter is almost identical to the converters provided with Levenger True Writers.

Nib & Performance (1-10) 4

The nib is more or less acceptable, but not perfectly smooth (indeed, scratchy – very slightly so). Ink flow is generous and very reliable. The nib is slightly wetter than the typical Western "F" nib.

The nib is a Schmidt model no. FH442 nib. This nib is larger than the Schmidt model used in the TWSBI 530 and 540.

The vendor offers replacement nib units on uneconomic terms (http://www.ipenstore.com/servlet/the-3507/ROSETTA-Quick-Change-Nib/Detail).

Filling System & Maintenance (1-10) 10

The pen is a cartridge/converter system. It takes international cartridges; I can confirm that it works well with short international cartridges, but it seems amenable to long international cartridges, too. The vendor deserves credit for shipping a pen that takes standard, widely available international cartridges and for shipping the pen with a good converter.

Cost & Value (1-10) 9

The North Star is extraordinarily well situated as market-entrant: it provides a large-sized, elegant, traditional pen that at least a large subset of fountain pen writers will appreciate. It markets its pen in the U.S., where such offerings are exceedingly rare and the range of new fountain pens available is small.

The North Star’s closest peers may be the TWSBI 540, the Lamy Safari, the low end of the Cross Century II line, and the Levenger True Writer. The North Star is at least as functional as these offerings.

Conclusion (Final Score: 1-6) 4 out of 6

The Rosetta North Star is a functional, well designed pen constructed of plastic resin. With the possible exception of the Levenger True Writer, it is the only large pen with a traditional appearance available for $50 or less. Its most glaring flaw is inconsistent nib quality. With small refinements, it could become a success.

Edited to provide more information on Nib & Performance.

post-7573-0-62378400-1317179979.jpg

post-7573-0-75474900-1317179983.jpg

post-7573-0-96539100-1317180226.jpg

Edited by writebyhand

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• writebyhand

• krandallkraus

• Sandy1

• iPenstore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed Review! :thumbup:

I've been using one of these for quite some time, and consider it one of the 'under-the-radar' solid value low cost pens well worth greater recognition.

I do have a few quibbles . . .

• I'm not sure how you determined "Its most glaring flaw is inconsistent nib quality." without evaluating a statistically significant quantity of pens in all nib widths over time. My Rosettta has a very good smooth nib.
  • While you've described the replacement nib units as being available "on uneconomic terms", many pens must be bought in their entirety to have nibs of various width, shape, flow, etc. Also, the nib unit is sold with that excellent converter - itself worth a few £ $ € ¥. I believe the Vendor should be congratulated for offering replacement nib units at all.

I certainly agree that posting the cap throws off the balance of the pen - and I hold pens well away from the nib.

Can the alignment of the compass 'jewel' be adjusted by loosening the Phillips-head screw? (Rather like adjusting the magnetic declination on a magnetic compass.)

Readers may also refer to a previous Topic in Writing Instruments https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/182072-the-rosetta-magellan-fp/page__p__1833994__hl__rosetta__fromsearch__1#entry1833994

Bye,

Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I do have a few quibbles . . .

I'm not sure how you determined "Its most glaring flaw is inconsistent nib quality." without evaluating a statistically significant quantity of pens in all nib widths over time. My Rosettta has a very good smooth nib.

There are two prior reviews providing information on the Rosetta North Star nibs (thanks to Sandy1 for help locating the second one):

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9564

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/139096-rosetta-north-star-sedona/page__p__1378760__hl__rosetta__fromsearch__1#entry1378760

Both note quality problems with the nib:

Varensalier: "The nib is a german steel, and many of these nibs are really quite good. The nib on mine was bad. Very scratchy. What a horrible disappointment, especially since I had inked it and the seller would not take it back."

John Cullen: "The nib is a gold plated Schmidt iridium fine point and I am very pleased with the one I have now. The first one was terrible. (More on that below.)... I emailed Street Fair and they sent me a replacement nib right away, no charge and no questions asked, with a postage paid envelope to send back the faulty nib."

Next, is my experience above, in which I found the nib quite usable but not perfect.

And finally, there is your experience, in which you found the pen to have a "very good, smooth nib."

Based on the very limited data we have, a portion of the nibs shipped by Rosetta with the North Star are bad or mediocre performers.

Like, you though, I am skeptical of drawing a conclusion from the few user experiences Fountain Pen Network has collected so far. And, Schmidt seems to have a generally good reputation.

I'm going to try adjusting the compass jewel with a screwdriver and will let you know how it turns out! B)

Edited by writebyhand

We would like to sincerely thank writebyhand for your detailed review of our North Star fountain pen series. We appreciate and welcome any feedback, comments and questions for our entire fountain pen collection.

Based on a few of your comments/questions you highlighted, we have provided the requested information below:

-Our nibs are made in Germany, the Schmidt brand of nibs

-The barrels are machined in Taiwan

-Presentation and gift boxes are made in China

-Final assembly is here in the U.S.

-Our Nibs are available individually, the link can be found at: http://www.ipenstore.com/servlet/the-Rosetta-cln-Fountain-Pen-Parts/Categories

-Rosetta is part of a 4th generation office supply business, our first store opened on Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL in 1932

Again, we welcome all feedback and comments from all our customers and Fountain Pen Network bloggers!

rosetta-logo-final.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my first Rosetta from Pendleton Brown at the SF Pen Show last weekend and I assure you his "buttering up" the Schmidt nib to a 1.1mm stub has made it a nearly perfect pen. I wish I had another one. It writes perfectly and the stub is magnificent.

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

I just bought my first Rosetta from Pendleton Brown at the SF Pen Show last weekend and I assure you his "buttering up" the Schmidt nib to a 1.1mm stub has made it a nearly perfect pen. I wish I had another one. It writes perfectly and the stub is magnificent.

I snagged another Rosetta from Pendleton at the SF Pen Show as well, just before closing on Saturday. Mine is the "Magellan" model, with a 0.7mm (or perhaps 0.6mm -- it's made from the M nib) cursive italic. Excellent pen and nib -- superb value for money, and that goes for Pendleton's handiwork too!

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib