Noodler's Zhivago - Ink Review

Gobblecup

Noodler's Zhivago, the green that isn't green, the black that isn't exactly black, and the green black that redundantly isn't really a traditional green black. What is Zhivago? Well, pen, paper and and the current cycle of the moon could all play a role in changing that. But if there is one thing that can be said of it, it is that is one of the most popular Noodler's inks in production, and that it is an excellent ink as such popularity would obviously be a testament to!

Some notes about the inks unique properties: I is Near-Bulletproof, meaning there are green dyes mixed with black dyes and the black dyes are bulletproof, while the green dyes can be kissed goodbye with enough water or bleach. I have found even when diluted 1:1 with water, this ink still retains its bulletproof properties! By the way, dilution of this ink can produce several lovely variations.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/Scan1-prbc.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/Scan1-prbc0001.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/Scan1-prbc0005.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/Scan5-prbc0005.jpg

As always, comments and questions are most welcome! :thumbup:

Edit: I should note, while you may not detect much shading in a flexible nib, a drier B or BB Italic will probably shade very nicely. I am planning on including a writing sample with a 2.0 Italic with future reviews.

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• AndyYNWA

• Gobblecup

• torstar

Great review. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

I think that if I ever try out a Noodler's ink, this is the one I would use. Someday.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Great review, haven't tried this writer's ink out yet.

Never enough good dilution stories posted on the board.

Thanks! I was just corresponding with another member about diluting this ink last night in fact. It takes dilution very well, I have tired a 3:1, 2:1, and 1:1 dilution, all with differences in hue, but with no noticeable loss in flow or lubrication, and with the same bulletproof qualities. The 3:1 looks very much like the undiluted ink, very black, but the green tones come out more and gives it deeper shading; a good dilution if you like using the standard colour, but want to see a little more green in a wet writer. 2:1 was displayed here, and a 1:1 looks almost the same; with more of a Racing Green look. I tested this in a full flex pen and I had no problems with flow or with railroading. It's allot of fun to see these results!

There is allot of variation to be found in these dilutions. I have yet to try actually mixing this ink with another.

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

Excellent review.. thanks!

This is one of my top four, or maybe three, all time favorite inks. Absolutely love it. It's a rarity if at least one of my pens isn't inebriated on Zhivago.

I've always used Zhivago or MBRG in pens with italic nibs greater than 1.1. The ideal was my M800 with the iB nib. Really amazing shading from both. The MB is really something in the Pel. Zhiv was darker and wasn't as green thru on Claire.

Pretty good review. The ink colour looks good written with a broad nib point rather than a fine nib.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

Hi,

Thanks for the Review!

A very interesting ink, that shows quite a different character when diluted. Thanks also for confirming that it remains robust when diluted - the Luxury Brand site advises caution when diluting bp inks.

Do you find that using dryer pens changes the ink's character so much? Or is it more practical to just dilute the stuff?

Pity about the nib creep, as it is one my pet peeves, but I have plenty of pens with hooded nibs.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I really appreciate the information about the dilution, which I imagine makes this ink better for a lot of people. The only problem that I still have is that as a "dark green" this ink still seems too close to black. While I appreciate subtlety, the green is too subtle imho.

I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

I have just ordered some and will comment on my 'findings' on arrival and writing. I think the visual comparison with Zhivago, Diamine Evergreen and Green-Black should be really quite interesting and I'll get the scanner warming up.

The Good Captain

One of my favorites as well. Squeteague is another (did I spell that correctly? Nathan picks some tough names to spell).

Versatile and well behaved.Ecru paper seems to mask the color so I have stayed with white or very lightly creamed papers for this ink.

I used it in both flexy nibs and a fine nib (the latter is really dry and some inks just won't work).

Perhaps its the light I write under but mine seems more green than the sample above. Its a somewhat 'drab' green as compared to most other greens, more subtle and complex - not found anything else in its class.

Thanks for a great review and the dilution data.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

Great review, haven't tried this writer's ink out yet.

Never enough good dilution stories posted on the board.

Thanks! I was just corresponding with another member about diluting this ink last night in fact. It takes dilution very well, I have tired a 3:1, 2:1, and 1:1 dilution, all with differences in hue, but with no noticeable loss in flow or lubrication, and with the same bulletproof qualities. The 3:1 looks very much like the undiluted ink, very black, but the green tones come out more and gives it deeper shading; a good dilution if you like using the standard colour, but want to see a little more green in a wet writer. 2:1 was displayed here, and a 1:1 looks almost the same; with more of a Racing Green look. I tested this in a full flex pen and I had no problems with flow or with railroading. It's allot of fun to see these results!

There is allot of variation to be found in these dilutions. I have yet to try actually mixing this ink with another.

Thanks again.

Just went out and bought a bottle, like I need another in in the collection...

It's the only dark dark green on tap now.

Great job on the review. I personally love it in an italic nib. It really helps bring out the green/shading.

Yep, that's what I find too, but in a wet round nib pen the ink looks more black on the scans. I just discovered its lovely in one of my drier Italics.. :cloud9:

Gobblecup ~

So many have loved Zhivago, but for me it was too black. Diluting never occurred to me,

The scans and one poster comments a characteristic of MBRG. The 2:1 dilution certainly has that appearance to my eye.

Can anyone do some dilutions compared to MBRG? That was such a great ink that I hope someone talented can recreate it. Certainly Diamine did not.

Also is the nib creep effect lessened with dilution?

Thanks for the review.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

I've tried it and it's a great ink - my first bottle of Noodler's. I can see this being one of my favourites.

Here's a small comparison.

I like it!

The Good Captain

I've tried it and it's a great ink - my first bottle of Noodler's. I can see this being one of my favourites.

Here's a small comparison.

I like it!

Awesome! I'm glad you like it, I will always keep a bottle handy myself. And thanks for posting the comparison, don't feel shy about posting it in this thread as I have no evergreen to compare it to myself! :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~