Private Reserve Black Cherry - Ink Review

Gobblecup

I have had this poor review sitting around and waiting to be scanned for the past month, but alas, here it is, my review of PR Black Cherry. I would like to start by saying this lovely Burgundy colour, which really does resemble a black cherry's colour, is quite water resistant. I would not worry about water destroying anything written with this ink. Although, I have not tested it for resistance to forgery, and I doubt it has those sort of properties.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/Scan1-prbc0006.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/Scan1-prbc0007.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/Scan1-prbc0008.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/Scan1-prbc0009.jpg

My scans are not infallible, and my review may not be completely thorough, please, ask any questions and leave comments on anything you think I may have missed!

Gobblecup ~

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Biber

• JonSzanto

• Colin8

• ChuckClark

I very much like this ink color! With some of the red-black type inks, they either tend to look more like browns because of a lack of shading. I've found that Noodler's red-black is pretty good for shading and I'd actually like to see it side by side with this and Waterman's Havana. Excellent review!

I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

• 2 months later...

Dang now I'm going to have to dig out that bottle of Black Cherry and ink something! I about forgot I had it. Nice ink!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I forgot I had it too. Been using Noodler's Red black. Must revert.

Time will say nothing but I told you so.

PR Black Cherry is my favorite ink for the moment. To me it looks like dried blood after it ages a bit.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Any commentary/comparison between this and Noodler's Red Black?

I've been eyeing the latter, but don't want to get it if it's very nearly the same thing.

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

• 1 year later...

Am I the only one that is experiencing a lot of smear with this ink? It may just be the paper (Moleskin), but I didn't have any trouble at all with the Lamy blue-black cartridge that I used first. Some letters (particularly the capital letters that I tend to write more slowly) take up to 30-45 seconds to dry. I am a lefty so the entire page ends up smeared.

Am I the only one that is experiencing a lot of smear with this ink? It may just be the paper (Moleskin), but I didn't have any trouble at all with the Lamy blue-black cartridge that I used first. Some letters (particularly the capital letters that I tend to write more slowly) take up to 30-45 seconds to dry. I am a lefty so the entire page ends up smeared.

Not all are this way, but there are a few of the Private Reserve inks that are notoriously slow drying (they even have a couple that are special "Fast-Drying" formulas!) It is a bit of a double-edged sword: people are drawn to the vivid colors that PR has in some of their very dramatic inks, but because of the highly-saturated nature of those inks, they can take a long time to dry. I gave up on a couple completely, Sherwood Green being one.

Often, inks like this can be diluted with distilled water, in surprisingly high ratios, and still retain a lot of vibrancy, while aiding the drying time. If you have a full bottle, you might try putting a small amount in a vial or shot glass (or something small) and add a few drops of water. Dip a pen in it and see how it behaves, adding more water until you are satisfied. Pretty cheap experiment to see if you can get some use out of that Black Cherry.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Not all are this way, but there are a few of the Private Reserve inks that are notoriously slow drying (they even have a couple that are special "Fast-Drying" formulas!) It is a bit of a double-edged sword: people are drawn to the vivid colors that PR has in some of their very dramatic inks, but because of the highly-saturated nature of those inks, they can take a long time to dry. I gave up on a couple completely, Sherwood Green being one.

Often, inks like this can be diluted with distilled water, in surprisingly high ratios, and still retain a lot of vibrancy, while aiding the drying time. If you have a full bottle, you might try putting a small amount in a vial or shot glass (or something small) and add a few drops of water. Dip a pen in it and see how it behaves, adding more water until you are satisfied. Pretty cheap experiment to see if you can get some use out of that Black Cherry.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize that diluting inks made them dry faster. I really do like the color, but it gets kind of annoying to look over a page I have just written only to see that the whole thing is smeared.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize that diluting inks made them dry faster. I really do like the color, but it gets kind of annoying to look over a page I have just written only to see that the whole thing is smeared.

NP. Check out this thread on ink dilution that is pinned in the "Inky Thoughts" forum. Lots of interesting ideas there, and also a good bit of info on how many of these inks behave.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize that diluting inks made them dry faster.

Yes indeed, notwithstanding the potential for bad effects (SITB), dilution can quite often be your friend. Not only does it wash out the color, creating different color effects - enhanced shading for one - but it can also temper (by diluting the ink's other components: surfactants etc.) some of the ink's seeming shortcomings like excessive wetness or long dry times. Unfortunately, the results aren't something you can necessarily bank on.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

• 1 month later...

remembers me of private reserve burgundy myst

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have several fountain pens that would lend themselves well to this ink. I look forward to giving it a try. Thank you for the review.

Peace,

J. Kenneth Byrd, Jr.

(Kenny)

The Tar Heel State--GO HEELS!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found the ink to be rather chalky looking when it dried. What did you think?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY