Kaigelu 316 Grey- Amber

richardandtracy

Interesting. I was thinking of getting a white & black stripe 316 from them next month (looks so much like the Norman Rockwell LE Duofold). Maybe I'll hold off a little longer to see how these delayed pens pan out.

Regards,

Richard.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Flounder

• KrazyIvan

• jor412

They usually only do this when they feel a vendor has done something suspicious.

Which Vendor was it?

I have seen GotoSchool888 removed temporarily on one occasion, but then he returned as if nothing had happened.

Regards,

Richard.

same vendor in the eBay link. The vendor has not been suspended, they are still active selling the same pens. Actually, they have added more inventory now, it seems.

Yes, same seller as listed, and he has this pen and other items still listed. I had no problems, but KrazyIvan, has your pen arrived yet?

No, unfortunately I have not received it yet. I have until the 21st to file with eBay. I am somewhat encouraged by the fact that others have received their pens but I am not holding my breath. I did contact the seller and they gave me a China Post "tracking" number for it. I don't know how much good that will do me.

My new discount price is $19.99 and you should get the pen in 3 days verses 3 weeks. :thumbup:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/fainted.jpg

My new discount price is $19.99 and you should get the pen in 3 days verses 3 weeks. :thumbup:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/fainted.jpg

Priceless !!! :roflmho:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Oh that's good. Hope you like it when it arrives after all this time.

Both my Amber-Grey and Charcoal 316's needed a little bit of silicone grease around the screw threads on the c/c to stop it going 'drip....drip....drip' because for some reason the c/c didn't completely seal around the spigot.

Best of luck & maybe I'll use that seller when I have some money.

Regards,

Richard.

• 7 months later...

Great, great, great detailed review and photography.

Can I ask what you mean by "Due to the semi-transparent nature of the amber part of the acrylic, it is possible to see the gold coloured nib moving up and down the cap when removing the cap." Does the nib foul on something and flex as the cap screws on?

Secondly, how is the barrel made - is the black back part glued on to the rest of it, or is it all molded as one part?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Great, great, great detailed review and photography.

Can I ask what you mean by "Due to the semi-transparent nature of the amber part of the acrylic, it is possible to see the gold coloured nib moving up and down the cap when removing the cap." Does the nib foul on something and flex as the cap screws on?

Secondly, how is the barrel made - is the black back part glued on to the rest of it, or is it all molded as one part?

I also have a Kaigelu 316, so I think I can help.

He means that the resin is a bit translucent, and as the nib is shiny, you can see it through the cap where it gets thinner. The nib is really solid and won't catch on any part of the cap.

The black part at the end of the barrel is solid metal. That's why it is so heavy.

It's attached in the same way as the finial on the Parker Duofold. The finial has a spigot on it that passes through the barrel ring, then on into the tube of the barrel, where it is glued. The spigot is less than 5mm long and due to being painted black you cannot see it through the barrel material. You can infer its presence with the aid of a depth gauge.

Regards,

Richard.

Oh flip. I'm a mechanical engineer & I literally deal with spigots on a daily basis, forgetting that not everyone does. Sorry. :embarrassed_smile:

Spigot: Cylindrical locator that sticks into a circular hole, usually with a slight taper at the end to aid assembly. That's all it is.

Richard.

Interesting read.

I was perusing eBay when I cam across these, and succumbed to temptation. I have the white veined one on the way. I also have two real Duofolds (one from the 80's, one recent) so I am curious to compare.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived today! Very early impressions:

:vbg: It's a beauty. I've seen photos that are very flattering and also less than flattering, possibly due to flash reflecting off the finish. In natural light, it looks like the barrel has been made from folds of satin. No coarse fat shiny specks. This finish (charcoal) is very opaque, I can't see the converter through the barrel as I have in photographs of the white version.

:hmm1: There doesn't seem to be an inner cap at all, though it hasn't dried out so far when the cap is on.

:hmm1: I can see why everyone is commenting on the heavy brass end pieces, and why the cap threads have been described as poor in one review. If I hold the cap by the open end as I screw it on the pen, the weight of the end piece hinders the cap and barrel meeting straight on. Holding the cap by the end piece, it is fine.

:hmm1: Can this thing take international cartridges? It wasn't happy with mine, and I wasn't about to force it. The screw in converter on this one is watertight at least.

:thumbup: The nib is smooth right out of the bubble wrap. Slightly dry, quite a narrow sweet spot, but it won't need smoothing to keep me happy, just a slight spread of the tines.

:thumbup: The no - box packaging fitted straight through my letterbox, so avoids the dreaded "while you were out" card.

It's very impressive for the price. I'm glad I read your review and took the plunge!

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Flounder,

As with the Duofold, the inner cap is actually created by machining the inside of the cap different sizes. In fact it was a clever design by Parker that has been exactly replicated by Kaigelu.

Glad you like the pen. I am very impressed with it, and use the 316's interchangably with my Duofold.

Regards,

Richard.