Taccia Legato

spyguy

I received my Taccia Legato Arctic Swirl fountain pen today from iSellPens. I have waited patiently for this pen to become available and was definitely not disappointed.

My first impression was that the pictures did not do this pen justice; the blue is vibrant. The swirl and shimmers set off the primary blue color and reminds me of my arctic nights in Alaska; without the freezing temperatures. The silver accents really compliment thecolors. I found the Taccia Legato Arctic Swirl to be warm and inviting. It reminds me of a classic J-series Esterbrook with softer lines and just a tad longer when posted. My dad gave me his school Esterbrook which started me on my path with using and collecting fountain pens. The appearance is soothing with very smooth curves. The pen has a compact design and a good length; shorter than the Taccia Staccato. The body fits nicely in my hand and is very comfortable. The Legato has about the same weight as my Sheaffer Balance II (my favorite pen) but the Legat has a thinner barrel. The barrel also feels very sturdy. I would be very comfortable using this pen daily. While I love my Sheaffer Balance II, the marbled pens were prone to cracking - no fear here!

The first stokes after inking the pen were smooth and wet. Writing with the pen cap on has a very balanced feel; otherwise the pen

without the cap is very light for my hand. I used clairefontaine paper and black Noodler's ink which layed down a really nice line. I purchased the fine point which is comparable to a European fine or an Asian medium nib. I write small, so this combination produced superior writing results. I left the pen for a few hours and had no problems producing good results when I resumed writing - the nib stays wet.

This could easily become one of my favorite daily-use pens.

Cheers

Bill

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of a Sloar that day, I can tell you!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sdonahue

• dinomium

• Uncle Red

• spyguy

• 1 month later...

I received my Tropical Breeze Legato yesterday from the speedy shipper, Todd. He never fails.

The pen? Eeeeesh. I'm not crazy nuts about it. Seems very smallish to me. I'm used to OS Balances and Flat Tops from the 20s and 30s. The colour is very lively. It writes with a wet line, that I'm not a fan of. The nib is a Fine, and is really not so. Not happy with the pen, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

• 2 months later...

I have recently received my own Tropical Breeze Legato. The nib is fine and the line wet I agree but I do like weight and balance. As for he size it was well described at Goulet Pen and I was not disappointed. I feel the pen is heavier than my Esties and the nib is not as flexible.

My only concern is that the converter doesn't fully draw my Noodlers Air Corps ink into the chamber. I haven't tried other inks yet. Have you good people any ideas for me?

Bottom line, for a lost wax massed produced pen, it is fantastic looking, writes well and was priced well. It is my new daily pen of choice.