My Midori Travelers Sketchbook!

stevlight

So I finally got a Midori Traveler's notebook to use as a sketchbook. I was going to make my own sketchbook inserts when I saw they had sketchbook inserts of their own. I was lucky enough to stop in Kinokuniya bookstore here in NYC before ordering online and they had the sketchbook refills--no notebooks in brown though--all sold out! The sketchbook paper is really nice for fountain pen and watercolor. The only other thing I wanted was a pocket to throw some postcards in --so I made one!! I also made a little leather circle pull for the elastic that holds the book closed--They sell these but I had some leather, so why not. I am using my Nakaya Neo-standard with soft medium nib and Platinum Carbon Black ink cartridges--of course. I added a brass tube that fits around the cartridge in the Nakaya that gives it the added weight I needed to really enjoy this pen. I think the red-black urushi just fits perfectly with the brown notebook leather. OK here are the pic.s!!--

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6202/6158726236_13bbd2b555.jpg

DSC03502 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6158/6158184303_1d1dbaf3d4.jpg

DSC03503 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6077/6158184527_359f4a1e13.jpg

DSC03504 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6161/6158726978_630567761c.jpg

DSC03505 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6173/6158184967_29f2fae588.jpg

DSC03506 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6208/6158727636_7418b75ea1.jpg

DSC03508 by stevlight, on Flickr

Just some king and queen bees I have been drawing.

www.stevelightart.com

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevlight

• Sailor Kenshin

• ethernautrix

• dapv

Love the drawings. I really need to start practicing again. Haven't done any serious sketching or anything for years and years.

Still really undecided about getting a Traveler's Notebook. I'd love to have one but I'm a bit unsure of whether I want a refillable notebook. Then there's the price...

Excellent post, thank you for sharing. I really like the DIY ideas, can you more explain them and provide some pics?

"pocket to throw some postcards in --so I made one!!"

"I also made a little leather circle pull for the elastic that holds the book closed"

"Nakaya Neo-standard - I added a brass tube that fits around the cartridge in the Nakaya that gives it the added weight"

Thanks again.

CFTPM

"pocket to throw some postcards in --so I made one!!"

So this is basically an envelope with an added flap that can fit threw the elastic of the Midori traveler so it stays in the book. I made an envelope but an regular envelope with an added, folded piece of card stock glued to it would work just as well. Here is a pic of the envelope out side of the notebook and the first try at making the envelope--I added a 2 inch flap at the bottom then glued this type of piece to a folded piece of card stock.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6162/6159648627_6a71b69337.jpg

DSC03509 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6160190714_ed95403872.jpg

DSC03510 by stevlight, on Flickr

This second picture above is the failed first attempt--I added a 2 inch flap to the bottom--then attached that new design to a folded piece of cardstock{like a cover to one of the Midori refills with out the pages inside.}

"I also made a little leather circle pull for the elastic that holds the book closed"

So I had a punch that I bought at a craft store to make the little hole but did not think I could cut the bigger circle very well free hand so I went threw my collection of brass tubing{everyone has a collection of brass tubing laying around --right?}--you can get these at a hobby or a model building shop. I filed the inside edge of the brass tube so it was some what sharp, then used it as a punch--place sharpened side on leather, hit other end with hammer--punch circle out from leather. Then just punch the smaller hole. Wish this piece of leather was a little thicker but it works very well. Here is a pic of the brass tube/home made punch--the store bought punch and the end product piece of leather attached to the notebook.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6184/6159650921_a2bf9209dc.jpg

DSC03511 by stevlight, on Flickr

"Nakaya Neo-standard - I added a brass tube that fits around the cartridge in the Nakaya that gives it the added weight"

More brass tubing--this stuff comes in handy!! Just cut a piece the length of the cartridge using a jewelers saw. My piece was a little too small in diameter so I cut it length wise with the jewelers saw--works nice because it is very snug--BUT you have to slide it off to check the ink level of the cartridge. Small price to pay for it getting me to use this beautiful pen that was just sitting in my drawer.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6082/6159654677_4ae4047698.jpg

DSC03512 by stevlight, on Flickr

On the cartridge.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6176/6160195338_431441961f.jpg

DSC03513 by stevlight, on Flickr

Slid off the cartridge.

OK I think I answered all the Questions--Cheers--Steve

Edited by stevlight

www.stevelightart.com

Excellent work, and explanation!! Well done!

Thank you for sharing.

Oh Good. I was not sure if I explained it clearly. Glad it helped.

www.stevelightart.com

I totally have notebook envy. This is the next thing I am going to butter my fiance' up to let me purchase. I am a big paper nut, and I will try writing on just about anything once.

Finally, a place where being obsessed with pens and paper is the norm...

The plain paper notebook that comes with the notebook is nice for fountain pen--paper is a little thin for artwork. The sketchbook paper is a dream to draw on. The ONLY thing I do not like is that the pages are perforated on the sketchbook and one or two of the pages have started already to "rip out". I have put tape on the back of these pages and do not usually draw on the back but I would very much prefer Non perforated paper for this reason. I never rip out pages of a sketchbook.

Just some more info after using the book for a few days.

Edited by stevlight

www.stevelightart.com

I love your heavy, bold lines and the fact that your figures look like Royalty in a playing card suite.

Thanks--I was looking at some really old playing cards when drawing those!!

www.stevelightart.com

• 1 month later...

Some more drawings and pics of the file box and sketchbooks I got for the Midori Traveler's notebook on Flickr HERE

www.stevelightart.com

Queen Bee!

LOVE IT--thanks Lisa..............and wow you are super fit--bike riding those Nakayas around I see!

You watercolored the labels? Oooo! I thought the notebooks came that way!

Yeh they were white--i colored them--then stuck them to the notebooks--really unneeded as i label the fronts of the books with what is in them--just felt like doin' it--and they look so purty!

www.stevelightart.com

They do indeed look purty, and I'm thinking of emulating you (and getting a sketchbook like that).

Maybe even doing a drawring a day! ^^

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I'm glad you like it, Steve. It was the first thing that popped into my mind!

Thanks for the compliment. Every year around this time, I take a picture to flip the bird to middle age, ha ha ha!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

And you posted your Nakaya?!!!!

Isn't that against the law?!

I'm a rebel --what can I say! I post all my pens and got the Neo-standard because it posts. I actually need it to post I hold the pen so far back and have big hands. Took me a while to warm up to the Nakaya--now i love it.

www.stevelightart.com