Diamine Damson

DanielCoffey

INK : DIAMINE DAMSON

PAPER : RHODIA #16 A5 white lined

PEN : Onoto Magna 261 Medium nib tweaked for wet flow by John Sorowka (Oxonian).

Scanner : IT8-calibrated Epson V600 flatbed

Colour Space : Adobe RGB

Matte : 50% grey and 100% white

Post-process : Unsharp Mask

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewDamson.jpg

Here is a close-up of the swab...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewDamsonSwab.jpg

And a close-up of the shading!

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewDamsonShade.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• corniche

• WendyNC

• kilraughts

Do you want to try a sample? PM me your name and mailing address and I'll get some in the post for you today.

Nice review. It's a color I like, for the reasons you mentioned. Because of the shading, I enjoy using it with a stub.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

It does look rather pleasant. I think I'll have to give it a go - eventually!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I love this ink and your review. I've had people look at it quickly and think it was really dark purple. Then upon closer inspection, their reply was - wow that is a really cool color.

Andy

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I am going to have to stop reading ink reviews. I like to have a pen for each ink and my list of Diamine "must haves" is getting a bit long.

I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Oh, yum! Thanks for the review, and for showing off the shading. I've been craving classy grayish colors lately.

Me too—I want to use all my pens and all my inks all the time. Just enough pens (9), too many pretty colors.

Edited by Aunt Jill

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

I am going to have to stop reading ink reviews. I like to have a pen for each ink and my list of Diamine "must haves" is getting a bit long.

I know exactly what you are going through. It's a real affliction - but a nice one.

Nice review, thank you. Damson is one of my current non-black favourites, I must have at least three pens loaded with it right now. I agree, it's a good ink for work, interesting but subtle.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

They are good and nice to buy in the 30mls while you make your mind up. Of my last batch, almost all the ones I bought will be replaced with full bottles in time.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, yum! Thanks for the review, and for showing off the shading. I've been craving classy grayish colors lately.

Wonderful review! This colour is such a deep, rich, elegant purple. I agree with you, Aunt Jill, there is something so lovely about the grayish colours. I find this ink is perfect for both professional writing and more personal writing tasks. I love the shading in my stub nibs, and the completely different personality it takes on in my finer pens as well.

Can anyone offer comparisons to J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune? I've used the JH color, but never tried Damson.

Hello Anazimander,

I am in the same boat as you, (soon to be rectified); and it appears to me that Damson, like PdeL, is another dusky warm (red based) purple- but a couple of shades darker than PdeL. Some people say that in a fine nibbed pen; DD almost looks black.

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hello Daniel, (et al),

Thank you very much for this review! :clap1:

Damson is on my next to order list. :thumbup: I'm really growing to love the dusky purples. Another one I have en route is Diamine Amazing Amethyst, which is a cool (blue based) dusky purple... I can't wait to see them side by side. :puddle:

I know Dandelion has already published side by side comparisons of them, (they both look sharp) - but nothing beats the old up close and personal with the human eye appearance. ;) (I've been duped by reviews in the past :( ).

All the best,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Thank you, d. Damson was my first non 'standard ink' as in not Parker blue or waterman blue and I still love it. It is truly everthing this review says , worksafe and interesting.

Edited by knitknitfrog

Can anyone offer comparisons to J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune? I've used the JH color, but never tried Damson.

They are very close in color. On (my) white paper they look almost identical; on cream paper the Poussiere de Lune is more dusky and the Damson more plum-like. For me, the Poussiere de Lune writes with a thicker line in the same pen and thus shows a bit more shading.

The Damson is a very good, very well-behaved ink. If I hadn't already used the J. Herbin, I would have bought the Damson. If Poussiere de Lune went away, I'd buy the Damson happily.

They are very close in color. On (my) white paper they look almost identical; on cream paper the Poussiere de Lune is more dusky and the Damson more plum-like. For me, the Poussiere de Lune writes with a thicker line in the same pen and thus shows a bit more shading.

+1 My experience is similar. Both great inks. Thank you for the review.