Montblanc Racing Green Comparison

geoduc

Over the last year, I've been searching for a substitute for MB Racing Green. Since others are on the same quest, I thought I'd share some scans of the contenders I've looked at.

Each scan below was done with a sample page of MBRG and the candidate ink at the same time to ensure that exposures were the same. The MBRG sample is written with a Nakaya 0.7mm Mottishaw stub. The other ink samples were written with the same pen or with a Lamy 1.1mm italic nib (I use the Lamy for my ink sample test pen). The two nibs are fairly similar in line width and flow.

My conclusion is that some of theses inks are close, but none are a true substitue for MBRG. I think that Noodler's Sequoia is the best color match, although it is slightly more saturated and has more blue than MBRG.

MBRG vs. Diamine Evergreen:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6065/6120902104_a815dbd2f6_b.jpg

MBRG vs. Diamine Green/Black:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6191/6120902160_d145f3aa05_b.jpg

MBRG vs. Noodler's Sequoia:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6079/6120359481_d9188b2a59_b.jpg

MBRG vs. Private Reserve Avacado:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6062/6120901868_05827dab3a_b.jpg

MBRG vs. Private Reserve Ebony Green:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6207/6120359679_85fe3ce808_b.jpg

MBRG vs. Sailor Epinard:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/6120359801_e597491475_b.jpg

MBRG vs. Sailor Miruai:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6065/6120902218_974d9586b2_b.jpg

MBRG vs. Sailor Tokiwa Matsu:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6067/6120901982_377233c790_b.jpg

Water resistance data:

A writing sample of each ink was allowed to completely dry and then soaked face down for approximately 5 minutes in a sink full of clean tap water. I use the following criteria for my water resistance ratings:

Unaffected - no color washout, no fading of ink. Very few inks are in this category.

Clearly legible - some color washout but it is possible to read the writing without effort.

Legible - significant color washout, writing can be read, although some portions may be faint.

Partially legible - At least some of the writing is legible, portions may be washed out. May be difficult to reconstruct the writing.

Illegible - Very little hope of reconstructing the writing after soaking. Most or all of the writing is gone.

MBRG: Clearly legible

Sailor miruai: Clearly legible

Sailor epinard: Legible

Sailor tokiwa matsu: Legible

Noodler's Sequoia: Partially legible

PR Avacado: Partially legible (interestingly, the residual ink is red)

PR Ebony Green: Partially legible

Diamine Evergreen: Illegible

Diamine Green/Black: Illegible

edited to add water resistance information

Edited by geoduc

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geoduc

• The Good Captain

• jandrese

• tenney

Thank you for posting. This saves lots of time in finding good alternatives when my limited reserve runs out...

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

Great info! I think it's really helpful doing the comparisons this way, for this situation.

"We're out of cornflakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out F.U. stood for Felix Unger!"

Thanks for these comparisons. It really is a special color and I'm enjoying my lone bottle.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Great info! I think it's really helpful doing the comparisons this way, for this situation.

Thanks. Many of these inks have been suggested as replacements for MBRG so I decided that it made the most sense to scan each side by side. Hopefully it helps to highlight the similarities and/or differences between them.

Thanks for these comparisons. It really is a special color and I'm enjoying my lone bottle.

MBRG is one of the few inks that hits all of the right notes for me - unique and interesting color, exemplary behavior, and even good water resistance.

Even though many of the other inks in this comparison aren't really replacements for MBRG, there were several that I liked well enough to buy a bottle. I figure it's kind of like getting a new puppy before the old dog dies.

What an excellent format for comparison - well done, and thank you!

I agree that Sequoia is almost there for colour, but I find it a little lacking in the performance department, as your water resistance test hints at, if we're doing a direct comparison to MBRG. As you say, MBRG is not only a fantastic colour, but a champion performer, and clearly, a tough act to follow.

I've never worried too much about replacing MBRG, as I really like this little corner of the spectrum, and enjoy all the variants I've picked up. In fact, looking at this, I definitely need to look into a bottle of Epinard - love the way the Sailors perform, as well.

Ryan.

What about mixing varying amounts of a 'bullet-proof' yellow with a 'bullet-proof' black to give the right shade of green and the desired performance? I haven't got either sort or colour so I can't do it myself. I know that kind of colour can be done with paint as it was in the instructions that came with a Revell 1:72 scale kit of a Mitsubishi Zero I got in the 60s.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I really love a lot of these colors (Avacado and Tokiwa Matsu being my two favorites), but none of them is Racing Green. I fear there will never be a suitable replacement. :crybaby:

AltecGreen recently did a color test of the Platinum Mix Free inks, and there were two shades IMHO seems pretty similar to MBRG...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6015/5919482325_cc0c2b1aa7_z.jpg

EB+LG

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6141/5919481031_ace8d4a739_z.jpg

SB+SY

For the full set, see: Platinum Mix Free Ink

Edited by Soot

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Great review!

Thanks for all of this information!!

Best comparison review I've ever seen!!!

Mike :clap1:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Very Nice. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I do have one question however. These colors are different looking than what is on Glenn's Pens website. Are the ones posted here more correct or are the ones on GP more accurate? The reason I ask is because a few of the greens that I liked on GP look much different in this post which makes me wonder if I need to change what I was planning on ordering.

Thanks

Greebe

Very Nice. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I do have one question however. These colors are different looking than what is on Glenn's Pens website. Are the ones posted here more correct or are the ones on GP more accurate? The reason I ask is because a few of the greens that I liked on GP look much different in this post which makes me wonder if I need to change what I was planning on ordering.

Thanks

Greebe

The colors look fairly accurate on my monitor when compared to the actual written pages. Your monitor may vary. You can also look at "The Swab Shop" on www.gouletpens.com for another sample of most of these inks (a couple of the Sailors were special editions that are no longer easily available). My advice is to obtain samples from Goulet Pens or from Pear Tree Pens so you can see what they look like in your pen(s) before you purchase a whole bottle.

Thanks for doing the comparisons. The side-by-sides of the script make it very easy to compare MBRG to each of the inks.

Sequoia looks to me to be the closets to RG. I have a bottle or two of RG left, but I know that one day I'll be looking for a replacement. This comparison helps!

Thanks for the comparisons, some of the inks are very attractive.

Can someone tell me why MBRG is so beloved. It has always appeared to me drab,dull, and grayish. If it had a (bleep) name like Dried Basil Leaves would you still love it?

Interesting, the site software blocks pofane words automaticaly. The word I wrote sounds like wrap but starts with a c. Wonder what else it does...

Edited by jandrese

...name like [Montblanc Pizzeria Special] Dried Basil Leaves would you still love it?

:roflmho:

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

And would it be so beloved if it was made by, say, Parker Quink? Is it the Brand as well as the colour that makes folks so upset when they can't get it any more?

Is it special?

I have written with fountain pens since Adam was a lad, or 1964, used pens every day amd use a bottle of ink every four weeks. I am hard to impress but I put some MB Racing Green in a good medium/broad nib with good flex and was instantly won over.

The ink has terrific shading, perfect colour and smooth and even flow.

When I found the last 20 bottles in a pen shop I bought them all and sold them on here, it is a great ink to be appreciated.

Thanks for the comparisons, some of the inks are very attractive.

Can someone tell me why MBRG is so beloved. It has always appeared to me drab,dull, and grayish. If it had a (bleep) name like Dried Basil Leaves would you still love it?

Interesting, the site software blocks pofane words automaticaly. The word I wrote sounds like wrap but starts with a c. Wonder what else it does...

I like the ink because of its combination of subtle yet distinctive color, excellent behavior, and good water resistance. I own or have tried samples of ~120 different inks, and MBRG is one of the few that I consider nearly perfect. I can certainly see why others might consider it dull. That's part of its appeal for me, since the subdued color makes it suitable for both business and personal use.

I bought two bottles when Arthur put his up for sale :thumbup: , and would happily buy more if the opportunity presented itself (assuming the price wasn't too far out of line). I'd even buy it if it were named Dried Crusty Moss.

Edited by geoduc