Sailor Reglus/industrial Revolution Review

Ruminator

Not long after I joined this forum, one of the welcomers suggested I write a review of the Sailor Reglus/Industrial Revolution fountain pen. I mentioned that I had one of them and he indicated a review would be appropriate.

I don't have a lot of experience with fountain pens (yet). I own a few and have some idea of what I like and what I don't like. The Sailor was one of my early purchases and I'm still pleased with the pens. So, without further pontification, here is my first review of a fountain pen. Enjoy.

post-72114-0-82027500-1315282714.jpg

post-72114-0-30044900-1315282729.jpg

post-72114-0-72472300-1315282742.jpg

post-72114-0-39115000-1315282753.jpg

post-72114-0-74874000-1315282763.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruminator

• Pickwick

• myyrkezaan

• Tennessee Dave

I have one of these! Mine's black, though. Cost me $45 including shipping. I adjusted the flow slightly, but for some reason mine is quite a wet writer, I'd put it at 7-8/10. Really smooth and classy looking writer. Great review, thanks!

@Nonsensical: That was a bargain. I have one of the black pens, too (filled with Noodler's Black) and I like it a lot. It's not a wet writer, though. I wouldn't be bothered if these pens wrote with a little wetter line.

@Laura: The Naranja (orange) color is very cool. It's almost an apricot. :)

How strange, as there wasn't one for this pen I started writing a review for this last night, Great minds! Mine is in orange and has a sparkle to it that I adore. My one problem is the nib, in my eyes/hands its very scratchy, I could have a bad nib though or I'm not used to writing with a Japanese Fine (European XF), and like you, wish it came in a medium.

Great review Reminator! :thumbup:

Very good review, I bought one last year and it proved a reliable writer. A few months ago I modified the feed and installed an antique Kurtz dip pen and turned the barrel into an eyedropper. Hadn't used it for about three months. Your review reminded me, so I've just tried it and it worked first time. I experimented because I became influenced by forums about flex nibs.

Kind regards,

Pickwick

Edited by Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Thanks for the review. Good looking pen.

Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

@Holdav... GMTA! :) If you have a strong magnifier or a loupe, you can look at the alignment of the tines. That's what I did. Also, all of the Reglus pens have the speckly-sparkly material. It's really sharp looking.

@Pickwick... That is one strange looking Reglus! :)

@Doug... JetPens sells them and I think Todd does at isellpens does too. Then there's engeika (sp?) on eBay who often has one up for auction. I believe I bought one from JetPens, one from Todd, one from engeika, and caught a Naranja lightly used from an eBay seller who couldn't handle the Japanese fine nib. Prices varied but none as good as @Nonsensical. :( That was a good buy.

I'm looking hard at the Sapporo mini that engeika sells. He sells it with a shortened converter and the lava red is gorgeous. It also comes in a Japanese medium nib. :)

Thanks all...

@Holdav... GMTA! :) If you have a strong magnifier or a loupe, you can look at the alignment of the tines. That's what I did. Also, all of the Reglus pens have the speckly-sparkly material. It's really sharp looking.

@Pickwick... That is one strange looking Reglus! :)

@Doug... JetPens sells them and I think Todd does at isellpens does too. Then there's engeika (sp?) on eBay who often has one up for auction. I believe I bought one from JetPens, one from Todd, one from engeika, and caught a Naranja lightly used from an eBay seller who couldn't handle the Japanese fine nib. Prices varied but none as good as @Nonsensical. :( That was a good buy.

I'm looking hard at the Sapporo mini that engeika sells. He sells it with a shortened converter and the lava red is gorgeous. It also comes in a Japanese medium nib. :)

Thanks all...

I use a dip pen for writing letters, then took the plunge modifying the Reglus and beefing up the capacity of ink by turning it into an eyedropper. Despite what I did it still writes reliably, also it controls the flow of Noodler's inks which is not suitable for dip pens. I use Diamine Registrars along with Rohrer and Klingner Salix inks with my dip pens.

Kind regards,

Pickwick

Edited by Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

• 2 years later...

I like this pen but people should be aware that it is fairly small. The pen itself without the cap is about 1cm shorter than Lamy Safary's body (without cap). It is also very light. The cap is heavy but without the cap the pen is feather-light.

• 1 year later...

I just recently found this pen in a little shop in San Fran. I found the Orange, which I think has now been discountinued, adn like it a good bit.

12065647_10208736597479049_5134457840536

It's been on my list of pens to buy for some time. Annoyingly, the two versions I find most tempting are also the two that cost more than the others.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I have had a few and I would recommend them if you're considering one; they might not be the best value in the world, but they have some pretty interesting styling as far as Sailor pens go, and are very solid writers. Only other thing to keep in mind is that they tend to be a little drier than the Sailor gold nibs. Sailor gold nibs are about a 6 in wetness, and the Reglus is around a 5. Just wet enough to keep from skipping or misbehaving.