Omas Blue

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576-1-2.jpg

= | ◎ | =

Nota Bene:

• Time out of mind some OMAS inks were reported to have low pH levels.
  • Not wishing to carry-forward superseded information, I contacted OMAS regarding the pH levels of their current production inks. I received a kind reply from Raffaele Rispo, Operations Manager at OMAS, stating that OMAS Blue has a pH of 4,5 ± 1.0 - not a pH of less than 2, as was often mentioned in the past. (e.g. Posts #3 & #8 LINK 1 & LINK 2 )
  • As the pH level of this ink is greater than the previous OMAS Blue, it seems the ink was reformulated. If so, then there just might be differences in this ink's performance profile and Look.
  • There are numerous threads on FPN and other sources about the pH of FP inks, so I invite dear readers to address that issue outside of this Ink Review, where a wider audience may read & contribute. To that end, a Topic was created for such posts: FPN Inky Thoughts Topic for OMAS ink pH levels: LINK

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/cb2b36c6.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

LINK:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/th_bc8e23b1.jpg

Pens: L → R: 51, M200, 502, 330, Estie & Safari.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm

Figure 3.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/5e1c95d5.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/4c9e7950.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/e31eda2f.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/55c2f24e.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Staples 20 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/2a670d02.jpg

Figure 8.

Grocery List (Back to boar ribs!)

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/ba4bcb5a.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 9.

Smear/Dry Times.

Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/3221ea74.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Glass bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Likely.

A go-to ink?

• When a high-performance animated Dark Blue is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Suitable for all manner of internal & external correspondence.
  • Has a rather well balanced combination of animation and gravitas.
  • Provides relief from Blue Mondays.
  • The animated aspect of the colour lends a certain conviviality, but for those working in teams or an egalitarian environment, a lighter animated Blue, in the direction of J Herbin's Eclat de Saphir, may be just that bit more suitable. (A coin toss.)
  • Not my first pick for mark-up or editing, but could be pressed to serve.
  • Not enough zap for error correction / grading assignments.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• The tone and animation make OBl suitable for figures, and would need to be considerably diluted to operate as a ground.
  • An excellent transitional colour from Black / Dark Purple to Medium Blue.
  • Will do well as a foil to Dark Blues which lean into the Teal/Cyan.
  • Line quality can be very high indeed, so tight narrow lines, diagrams, labels, crosshatching, etc. are well within range.

Students:

• Should do quite nicely for most.
  • Well suited for general notes.
  • Should be considered for hand-written assignments.

Personal:

• Others may find OBl too business-like, but it works for me!
  • I like to think that the ink brings a certain level of enthusiasm to what's written upon the page, which may reflect a writer's gioia di vivere - some of which may rub off on the recipient/s.
  • May be too wonderful for pro forma writing; I'd rather use Lamy Green or any default Blue that is to hand.
  • As OBl is recalcitrant about shading, use of shaped nibs would seem very possible. I like to use a UK Duofold with a stubbish 'N' nib, or a 0.8mm Cursive Italic, or an F-M monoline, or the SFM on the Pilot C74, or a 1.5mm on the Pink Safari, or an Asian B, or an F nib ground to a Stub. But not the oblique nibs for some reason - oh, I am without obliques!
  • It should be noted that OBl appears strong and undiminished from the narrow nib of the 51, so should be attractive to narrow nib nutters aficionadi.
  • Billets doux? Not so much.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• A fair bit wetter than usual.
  • Controlled.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubrication:

• A bit greater than usual.
  • Perhaps related to wetness.
  • A nice smooth ride, regardless of paper texture.
  • Enhances nib feedback, which allows me to keep a nib running on its sweet spot.

Nib Creepers:

• Not seen.

Staining:

• Slight after three days. (Converters only.)
  • Came clean with a rinse of very dilute (5%-ish) ammonia; no rubbing or scrubbing required.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Some spots on the highly absorbent Royal from the 502 and Safari.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.
  • More than usual, lines become plump as paper absorbency increased. (Related to wetness I imagine.)

Aroma:

• Sweet & fruity.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean Up:

• A bit slower than usual, but thorough with plain water.
  • See Staining above.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.
  • A bit of dilution may be considered to moderate the flow rate; which may also reduce bleed- show-through and line-width spread on absorbent papers.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

Smear/Dry Times:

• As shown in Figure 9 above.

Water Resistance: ☂

• A bit indeterminate: There is an unexpected / uncommon behaviour of the ink across the two samples, with the splattered samples on the cusp of being only salvageable.
  • In practice, if I were to have work splattered with water, I would undertake on-the-fly disaster recovery to avoid re-deposit of dyestuff that's come adrift by using a clear water-based liquid to rinse or soak the sheet/s. (No tomato juice!)

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Gelato following a full cooked breakfast.

Saturation:

• Quite high.

Shading:

• Very low, but can be encouraged.
  • Seems to require a hard smooth paper.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Quite a bit less than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Somewhat less than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Not that much.
    • The consistency of The Look across the variety of pens and papers makes OBl a good candidate for a daily writer ink: performs well on a range of papers from diverse writers.

Hi-Res Scans:

• As I do not wish to be known as 'Regina dei Banditi di Larghezza di Banda', these are links only.

51 on HPJ1124

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/th_42683e7a.jpg

502 on Rhodia

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/th_4fad4ce2.jpg

330 on G Lalo

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/th_e8b15b59.jpg

Safari on Royal

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/th_c5514f70.jpg

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

• Well - almost.
  • There is a significant purple-violet aspect to OBl.

OTHER INKS

To enable ad hoc comparison, my Reviews of Blue inks from August 10 2010 onward share the same Written Sample layout, atrocious handwriting, and some papers & pens. Manipulation of web browser windows allow for simultaneous viewing of Written Samples of several inks. That said, if you feel a specific aspect deserves to be depicted/documented in a separate Topic or Post, your PM will be welcomed.

Swab Comparisons:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Blue%202/6bb4789f.jpg

• Rows 1, 3 & 5 show OBl from 3, 2 & 1 passes respectively.
  • Rows 2, 4 & 6; Left ➠ Right show Aurora Blue, Levenger Cobalt, Diamine Majestic Blue and Private Reserve American Blue from 3, 2 & 1 passes respectively.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• All.
  • OMAS Blue paper!

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those which are too absorbent, especially when paired with a wet writer.

Tinted Papers:

• The density and general lack of shading support use on any reasonable tint, especially at higher densities.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms, etc.
    • Not the best pick: the dark tone does not provide quite enough tonal separation from the typical Black ink text. (A shaped nib perhaps?)

[*]For charts & graphs:

• As for Use: Illustrations / Graphics above.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Possible - especially if one is in pursuit of increased shading.
  • Fortunately, use of high-end paper is a matter of choice, not a work-around.

ETC.

Majik:

• Possible.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• The 51 on the Lalo - no joke!
  • The lubrication and flow rate allows comfortable use of a narrow nib on the hard textured paper.
  • The animated quality of OBl keeps the ink quite strong on the 'natural' base tint of the paper.
  • Appeals to my penchant for strong Dark Blue inks on warm paper. (OBl looks great on ivory as well.)

Yickity Yackity:

• Another under-the-radar classic? Perhaps.
  • Ah kushbaby, if you missed Roma, this might be of some consolation.

======

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens*:

LINK:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/th_PEN836.jpg

• Parker 51 Flighter + 14K XF nib.
  • Pelikan M200 + M200-series g-p steel EF nib.
  • Waterman England 502 + some-flex 14CT 2A nib.
  • Sheaffer 330 + inlaid steel M nib.
  • Esterbrook J + 9968 firm steel B nib.
  • Lamy Pink Safari + goosed steel 1.1i nib.

• For lines & labels: Pilot Penmanship + steel XF with Montblanc Racing Green.

* This group was also used for the One Of The Ten series.

______

Papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

______

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted post-capture, so went straight to the file sharing thingy.

______

Densitometer Readings (FWIW):

HPJ1124

• Red 85
  • Grn 95
  • Blu 173
  • Lum 108

______

Fine Print:

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Omas Blue Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• corniche

• sarahfar

• JimB

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great review.

Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

Sandy, your reviews are so thorough. It's like the official government dossier on an ink!

For years, my favorite blue was Aurora Blue, even though I really wanted something darker and not so washable. It seemed all the Noodler's I tried leaned to the green/teal spectrum. When I found this several months ago, I fell in love immediately! It's still not "bulletproof" but I'm trying to deal with that. In actuality, I have rarely had any spills onto paper, so I probably don't really HAVE TO HAVE a huge amount of water resistance. And I need to buy another bottle already!

"We're out of cornflakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out F.U. stood for Felix Unger!"

Thanks for the great review.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Bye,

S1

Very complete review. I think often I give up on an ink before I should. I love writing with extra fine nibs but sometimes to see the beauty of an ink you need to get your wetter writers out!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Sandy, your reviews are so thorough. It's like the official government dossier on an ink!

For years, my favorite blue was Aurora Blue, even though I really wanted something darker and not so washable. It seemed all the Noodler's I tried leaned to the green/teal spectrum. When I found this several months ago, I fell in love immediately! It's still not "bulletproof" but I'm trying to deal with that. In actuality, I have rarely had any spills onto paper, so I probably don't really HAVE TO HAVE a huge amount of water resistance. And I need to buy another bottle already!

Hi,

I try to cover most aspects of an ink so as not to be too data deficient. That said, the 'Other Than Ink' section was eliminated, but I have yet to receive nasty PMs in that regard. ;-)

I too enjoy the Aurora Blue, which is very much a Medium Blue, and understand the appeal of OBl - choosing an ink based on colour+performance is a grand way to develop an ink array. I do agree that at times there is a need for a very robust ink - one that can withstand most reasonable hazards - water resistance being a common concern.

Bye,

S1

Thank you. This is a very appealing ink, which I don't think I would have tried if I hadn't seen this. Now I will.

-Laura

Hi Laura,

You're welcome!

I think there is a certain something something going on with OMAS Blue that has a quite unique appeal - rather rare in the Blue inks, where hair-splitting is very much the norm.

You must let us know your experience with this ink after you've used it for some time!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hello Sandy,

Thanks for the review; it cleared up my concerns about flow and lubrication. I fell in love with Omas Blue at the Goulet Swab Shop; unfortunately, they don't have any in stock. I am seriously considering getting a bottle elsewhere :o :unsure: because I have a feeling this might be that "perfect blue" that I've been searching for.

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Very complete review. I think often I give up on an ink before I should. I love writing with extra fine nibs but sometimes to see the beauty of an ink you need to get your wetter writers out!

Hi,

It seems I am reluctant to give-up on an ink. (Is my OCD that obvious?)

My experience with the narrow nibs is rather limited. I have found that I usually prefer a dry-ish writer in those nibs to prevent the ink from being 'submerged' due to the narrow line plus high density.

Yet my personal pen & paper pick was the Parker 51 + XF nib on the rather dry hard-surfaced G Lalo.

I think that OMAS Blue definitely has what it takes in a Dark Blue ink to match narrow nibs; I also liked the Visconti Blue with narrow nibs. Both have a strong presence on the page that does not require high % coverage, and both have wonderful lubrication & feedback characteristics well suited to such nibs.

Bye,

S1

------

Visconti Blue: LINK

Hello Sandy,

Thanks for the review; it cleared up my concerns about flow and lubrication. I fell in love with Omas Blue at the Goulet Swab Shop; unfortunately, they don't have any in stock. I am seriously considering getting a bottle elsewhere :o :unsure: because I have a feeling this might be that "perfect blue" that I've been searching for.

All the best,

Sean :)

Hi Sean,

You're welcome!

I think the flow and lubrication of this ink are very attractive, and enhance the writing experience. I was without OMAS Blue for some time, so was unable to provide comparisons of the low pH version to this current production ink. Perhaps the previous version was not gifted with such attractive attributes, but I do not recall it being a slouch.

There was some concern expressed about the colour consistency of OMAS Blue, but I have no idea if that concern was resolved. (This LINK was sent to Raffaele.)

In as much as I can see the 'pursuit of perfection', I am content to have a good array of various inks.

Yes indeed - lots of inks! http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/kcattx/woohoo.gif

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Great review (as always). I got a bottle of this ink with an Omas pen. Never really used it. Maybe i should give it a try. Almost forgot about the bottle so thanks for reminding me :happyberet:

I definitely like the shade of blue here. Some of the most popular blue inks seem to be leaning into purple territory, but this one looks like pure blue to me. A good blue for business use.

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I hope some day that you compile all of the work that you've done and put it together in book form (maybe self-publish through Amazon.com). It would certainly be on my bookshelf.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

First your review is excellent as always. Second, I am a big Omas fan and love the blues. I still have a couple of bottles of Roma 2000 through all the derivations of Blues, New Blues etc. This new version from the accurate bottle I was able to obtain and all swatches I've seem, is not like any of the other. It's not as vibrant and explosive for example as new blue or Roma 2000. It is though as you noticed more solid and less likely to shade at all. There is no purple in this ink either, although I would not really call it a true blue either. To me this is the blue black I always wanted to get. Not a knock here, just an observation from an Omas fan, I wonder though having recently bought 3 bottles of this blue, if there lot color control is all that good. Two of the bottles are clearly turquoise and one is this beautiful blue black color very similar to the one reviewed. Like I say this is a gorgeous color and I like it, but I mention that because some have compared this to Roma 2000 and this is not remotely in the same ball park as Roma 2000. Roma 2000 was very vibrant and complicated like but not Parker Saphire.

Best,

Mike

I definitely like the shade of blue here. Some of the most popular blue inks seem to be leaning into purple territory, but this one looks like pure blue to me. A good blue for business use.

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I hope some day that you compile all of the work that you've done and put it together in book form (maybe self-publish through Amazon.com). It would certainly be on my bookshelf.

That would be an awesome idea. :thumbup: I would buy that book as well.

http://i.imgur.com/05HpL.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ifi8V.png

My favorite color in an absolutely beautiful, rich tone. A fantastic review - covers all the bases. Thank you :)

Tamara

Great review (as always). I got a bottle of this ink with an Omas pen. Never really used it. Maybe i should give it a try. Almost forgot about the bottle so thanks for reminding me :happyberet:

[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for your kind compliment!

It seems to me that this ink is worth a look. I am interested to know if there is majik when an OMAS ink is paired with an OMAS pen.

Bye,

S1

I got it with my 360 Vintage LE, and yes, there is majik...

Edited by enricof

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

A lovely ink and a nice review. This seems to resist feathering and spread better than PR American Blue. Now I have another ink to try. :P

Hi,

I'm glad you like the Review! The colour and tone of the ink generate a sense of charisma, (perhaps not the best word), that makes this ink suitable for business, casual and personal writing. Although there are surely some who find OMAS Blue too dark & formal. The inks I used for the swab comparisons, (Aurora Blue, Levenger Cobalt, Diamine Majestic Blue and Private Reserve American Blue), all have quite a strong following, so a cursory comparison is possible; and more detailed comparison/s may be possible once all those inks are reviewed.

Ah, a publication ... I am extremely flattered. :blush: Yet I am happy that the Reviews are available on FPN at no cost to the viewer anywhere this site can be accessed. The effort of the Administrators and Moderators who keep the site up and running are essential to the ongoing success of FPN. making FPN a good repository. And the people who respond to the Reviews in many ways as time passes - without a doubt, Replies form an essential part of the Review.

Bye,

S1