Pilot Vp (Stealth Black) 2011

tanalasta

Preamble

It's been a little while since I purchased a vanishing point. I originally purchased a Pilot Decimo in blue a few years ago and although the lightweight, standard size was convenient to carry, I felt that my hands were gravitating towards a wide girth pen. I was also after a work pen that I could write with whilst standing or 'on the run' which mandated one hand operation. Having previous tried the Lamy Dialog 3 and decided the ergonomics and size were not to my (own) liking, I decided upon the new matte black VP as an understated, everyday fountain pen.

My VP was purchased from John Mottishaw to ensure that the nib wrote flawlessly out of the box. That said, the VP shares the same nib unit with the Decimo and that had also worked perfectly from day one.

Construction

Standard metal barrel, likely brass with a powdered on finish thought to be an electrostatic application process. The powdered finish is susceptible to scratch marks and others on these forums have noted it can scratch if placed in the same pocket as keys or metal. It is not a very 'hard finish' although any resin of lacquer fountain pen could also potentially scratch. Otherwise, it is a beautifully constructed and finishsed pen, manufacturered to Pilot's usual Japanese standards. Everything fits perfectly. There is an o-ring joining the barrel and cap which helps seal the pen to avoid it from drying out.

http://www.fountainp...48#entry2082748 - is a thread describing the paint scratches.

The clip is not spring loaded but clips nicely on a shirt placket.

http://kevinkwan.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Fountain-Pen-Photos-Lightroom3/i-dBCpzv5/0/X3/Fountain-Pens-5197-X3.jpg

A very unpretentious black pen.

Nib Unit

The Pilot VP nib unit is long, 18k gold. The feed is quite long and means that if you put in a new cartridge, it may take a few minutes, nib down before ink starts to flow for the first time. You can also dunk the nib + converter whilst removed from the pen into an ink bottle to amerliorate this requirement. The instructions state not to dunk the pen into ink as else it'll end up in the internal spring loaded mechanism.

These write true to the Japanese nib sizes, so are one size narrower than the Western Equivalent. My 'F' and 'M' nib units write like an EF and F if compared to a Western nib (e.g. Pelikan, Lamy). They have moderate flow, not too wet and not too dry. The nibs are a little soft which gives it a certain writing characteristic but not really ideal for writing on carbon paper or for heavy handers.

In terms of smoothness, both were buttery smooth with little feedback out of the box. The 'finer' nib does not take very well to being rotated along it's long axis and correct pen holding, using the clip as a guide can help immensely.

http://kevinkwan.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Fountain-Pen-Photos-Lightroom3/i-GG7FMVJ/0/X3/Fountain-Pens-5198-X3.jpg

http://kevinkwan.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Fountain-Pen-Photos-Lightroom3/i-DBKztNc/0/X3/Fountain-Pens-5200-X3.jpg

Quirks and overall summary

The main quirk is the clip placement which I feel does not interfere if used with a traditional (not ham fisted) pen holding grip. Fingers balance nicely on either side of the clip on the VP although I strongly recommend you try and write with one prior to purchase to ensure it is for you. The other quirks, other than the initial slow starting after a new fill are the small converter. The former problem is solved by priming the feed, usually by dunking it in ink or giving the cartridge/converter a gentle squeeze or twist to expel some ink. Alternatively, if you don't mind the mess, flick it. The twist converter has a very small capacity, is proprietary to Pilot and difficult to fill to a full extent. I strongly recommend cartridges with this pen, although if you do use carts, there is a metal insert (see photo below) which ensures that it makes contact with the 'click' mechanism.

The nib pushes against a metal, spring loaded flap to open, which seals the tip shut when the nib is retracted.

However, it is an easy to use pen with a reliable click mechanism. Once primed, the feed and nib start right away. I find it an ideal travel pen. If you do get ink inside the barrel, you can rinse the whole thing (I throw it in my ultrasonic cleaner) and wait for it to dry. Don't use tissues/paper towel squidgees to dry the inside as it's very difficult to retract if it tears off inside the barrel.

If I had to rate this pen? I have a high benchmark, my Danitrio Densho, St Dupont, Montblanc 146/149 etc... are all more expensive, aesthetically pleasing pens that write beautifully and have their own unique features. So compared to my very best writers, this one would rate in at 6.5/10 - nothing wrong with the writing characteristic or ergonomics, but the minor irritations such as the small converter and delicate finish subtract points. I like this pen but I don't love it.

http://kevinkwan.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Fountain-Pen-Photos-Lightroom3/i-MX2HBff/0/X3/Fountain-Pens-5187-X3.jpg

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tanalasta

• Spector

• ThirdeYe

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice, How much did this one cost you and where did you buy it?

http://i.imgur.com/EZMTw.gif "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

Thanks. See http://nibs.com/PilotVPLacquerRhodiumTrim.htm

I purchased mine from John Mottishaw for $140US

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

I just bought a VP as well and I love the way the pen feels and writes, but I had a really annoying issue with the nib unit rattling as I wrote in certain directions. I looked at the nib coming out of the pen and it looked like the nib was touching the metal opening. I sent it in for repair.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)