Staples Eco Friendly Sugarcane Composition Book

KrazyIvan

Staples Sugarcane Paper Composition Notebook (Sustainable Earth Series)

I purchased this last spring/early summer when I saw them for $1.50 at Staples. I dont get to go there often as my nearest store is quite a ways out of my normal haunting grounds. I see that they are now $2.99 online. This is part of Staples Eco-Friendly line. I did note that I cant seem to find this exact cover anymore. They have changed them it seems. I am not sure if my local store may have them in the exact cover since I have not been back since.

It is your typical composition book that has sewn in pages with the main difference being the paper is made from sugarcane waste. The paper is very crinkly as you turn the pages. This annoys me for some reason. The paper is also very thin. It reminds me of onion skin paper. As for the fountain pen test, there is no bleeding and almost no feathering. Show through or echo is a different story. The back page is almost not usable because of the echo with a majority of the inks and pens I tried. A fine nib or smaller and dry ink is almost necessary to use both sides of the page. Pencil or regular ballpoint will not be an issue.

Something that I did not notice right away is that the paper was either sewn in crooked or the paper itself was cut off center. I noticed this when doing my scans of the fountain pen test. The margins on the front of the page (right side) are off center from the ones on the back (left side). It is very noticeable when you look at the paper edge on. You can see the margin shift if you leaf through it like an old style animation cartoon book.

In the end I gave the composition book to my daughter that needed it for school. She reported back that she is the hit of her class as everyone says she has the cool looking composition book. :D

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/6071865556_e5e89d9b0d_z.jpg

Staples Composition Book by IvanRomero, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6182/6071321359_3b25ab8bb9_z.jpg

2011-08-21 20.23.25.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6195/6071315467_f67f9511d0_z.jpg

2011-08-21 20.23.49.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/6071292549_fc1685ef54_z.jpg

2011-08-22 18.04.50.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6184/6071269023_d764325a56_z.jpg

staples_comp_book_FPTEst by IvanRomero, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6194/6071269031_4aa3401c83_z.jpg

staples_comp_FPtest_rear_page by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Edited by KrazyIvan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bookmanjl

• KrazyIvan

• JimB

• PrestoTenebroso

Thanks for the review, and glad to know your DD is getting to enjoy the notebook.

I haven't seen the composition books at our local Staples, but I've bought and used a dozen or so of the spiral-bound ones, with great enjoyment. The summer sale seems to have ended with the back-to-school sale time, but even at full price ($2.79 in the store here) they're still a great buy. Of the notebooks I've used, 2 were of rougher paper and feathered, but I found that I can tell these by touch, so when I buy more I check the paper. The one I'm currently using seems to be a bit thinner, with showthrough and a bit of bleedthrough with my wetter pen/ink combinations.

I hope you'll try one of the spiral-bound versions.

Yeah, the texture of the paper is slightly irritating, but the fountain-pen friendliness of the paper more than makes up for it!

Our Staples has a BAD batch with blurred really dark lines.... :blink:

I too have several spiral bound... love them! So practically designed with a craft paper pocket that I often use to file nibs whose sweet spot is not were I want it to be. .....circle 8 circle 8 cirle 8 cirle8.... ... :wacko:

Join my Flickr Groups Staples Arc

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

I'm using the composition books for a pen-and-ink-test-book and as a journal, I get some show through but no bleed through. I've got some of the legal pads too and they're nice, I wish we used them at work.

Edited for grammer

Edited by Uncle Red

You should find a variety of cover patterns for both the composition and spiral-bound books. I believe the most different patterns of one type (spirals) I found at a store at one time was four. Bought one of each. I am not sure how many total patterns there are.

I've been using that very same book since July as my journal. Looks better when it gets that worn look. I have about a dozen of these, assorted covers, including some spiral bound. All at less than $2 a pop! I have nicer books as well, but so far the staples books are doing the job.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I use the journal and legal pad formats on a daily basis, yet I constantly marvel at the fountain pen friendly nature of such an economic product. Does anyone how long the paper is expected to last? Will the sugar cane based paper breakdown or decay more quickly than wood pulp or cotton based paper?

• 2 years later...

I don't know, but I am a cheapskate, and never throw anything away, so I'll check back in 20 years to the stash of them I just bought and let you know if they disintegrate. Seriously. I have filler paper I bought in high school, and a chair that I used when I was 6.