Parker P51 Junior Amateur Pen Disassembly (Yikes!)

djmaher

Wellllll....

I went ahead and did it. I read the numerous guidelines and advice, both pros and cons, and decided to give it a go. I kind of knew something was wrong with my pen when I got it, but I couldn't exactly put my finger on it. My pen rattled when I shook it while cleaning, so I knew something was loose in there, that wasn't supposed to be. I was willing to take a chance and take apart my pen, with no prior knowledge, except what I've gathered here, which is SUBSTANTIAL. I knew I might wreck my pen. But, being the endless tinkerer I am, I could not stand it anymore.

Soooo.... I took it apart :) My aim was to learn and teach myself. My aim was also NOT to put any pen repair people out of business. I mean, we fuss and agonize over inks and nibs and pens, so why not learn about the guts too?

I used the hot water technique talked about here in some posts. Instead of pliers, I thought I'd try a bike innertube... I bike innertube, you say?? Well, what I did exactly was cut two pieces of tubing, one for the nib end and one for the threaded end. I cleaned the rubber thoroughly, and test fit the two sections. My goal was to dip the pen in the hot water (160-170 degrees-I have a quick read thermo), quickly wrap the two sections, and twist gently. It worked great!! There was not O-ring as part of the clutch ring assembly. My pen was as clean as I could get it, and hence, the collector assembly came right out with no prodding :) It was then I spotted the broken breather tube. The nib and feed were fairly easily worked out.

Can I fix my own car? Sure, so I do what I can myself, and take the balance of the work to an expert. I still probably would not recommend someone do what I did, but I was willing to take a chance, and knew the risks and cost. I am learning something along the way as well. Maybe some might consider me an idiot for doing it. Maybe not. Hopefully others will learn, and maybe enjoy me on my pen journey. Below are a few of the photos!!

By the way, my pen is in pieces right now. Any further advice, as always, is appreciated. It's ok to beat me up a little bit too, if you like... Be gentle please...

BTW, I'm working on my macro photography... Not so great at the moment...

Dave

post-13906-0-05273600-1314567781.jpg

post-13906-0-80537200-1314567813.jpg

Edited by djmaher

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djmaher

• FarmBoy

• OcalaFlGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave,

You've done well! Congratulations on your first "repair".

What you're seeing is a broken sterling Parker breather tube. You've got two options for fixing it:

1) get a new SS breather tube, and then use a set of micro drills to properly remove the old breather tube from the feed. Then insert the new SS tube and call it good. You can also buy plastic 51 tubing from some places...

2) the less complex one - just buy a new feed/breather tube assembly.

I don't think you're in idiot at all. This is exactly how I learned. In fact, my 51 was the first pen I ever took apart! Except I took mine apart with RED ink in it... blush.gif

Have fun, and again - good job!

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Nib, Feed and Collector....

Nib in good shape, as I can tell. "Made in USA" stamped. Below that, on left side, is "RU", stamped. Right side has "1949" stamped, but I understand that nibs and barrels got switched all of the time. When I was able to write with this pen, the nib was fine and WAY smooth. I loved it!!

Small "O" ??, stamped just below breather hole.

Feed has a bit of the broken breather tube inside still. I've not messed with this yet. The feed, also, looks different than some of the feeds I've seen pictured for P51s. Maybe someone can identify it for me. I may be in the market for a new feed. :( Let me know....

post-13906-0-01463800-1314569178.jpg

post-13906-0-86322700-1314569219.jpg

post-13906-0-12936200-1314569266.jpg

post-13906-0-22351700-1314569296.jpg

post-13906-0-52130600-1314569311.jpg

post-13906-0-08977900-1314569334.jpg

Collector....

was in good shape, and not too stained. At first I thought it was cracked, until I realized that it does have a split in it, which seems to be held open by a tiny "wedge", a little pin placed in the tiniest of holes. At least I think that's what it's for....

Again, please let me know if the collector looks ok. Other than a bit of old ink, it seems ok.

BTW, the breather tube is toast...That's what my rattle sound was. I was literally crumbly when I took it out. I know they are thin walled, but this was a mess...

post-13906-0-13120600-1314569784.jpg

post-13906-0-68906900-1314569821.jpg

post-13906-0-44740800-1314569955.jpg

You need to keep the small rod in the collector. It does exactly what you suspect--it holds the slit open.

I would replace with a stainless breather tube. They are readily available properly cut and drilled.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You need to keep the small rod in the collector. It does exactly what you suspect--it holds the slit open.

I would replace with a stainless breather tube. They are readily available properly cut and drilled.

Farmboy

Sources for new tubes, and possibly feed assemblies? Stainless better than plastic or Teflon??

One source for parts is parker51.com.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Yup, leave the plastic in the collector.

That feed is perfectly normal. 51 feeds come in a semi-large variety...

Now might be a good time to learn how to remove a broken 51 tube from the feed! After all, if you're just planning on getting a new one and tossing this one, you may as well experiment, right?

O stamped on the nib - I forget what it's for, but yea, it's very common. It's on the older nibs I do believe. Someone who knows 51's better will hopefully chime in. I know how to fix them, but I don't know the company history... :)

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

OP! CAREFUL BEFORE YOU GO JUST DRILLING OUT THAT BREATHER TUBE PIECE!

or you'll ruin the feed.

The instructions on how to correctly do it are pinned at the start of the Repair forum.

Ron Zorn has the stainless steel breather tubes but I'm not sure he sells them without using them in a repair, ask him. David Nishimura has the teflon ones this info on his site.

http://www.vintagepens.com/Parker_51.shtml

If you replace your breather tube don't toss it, it's sterling silver. Maybe have it melted down into a charm for your SO. :thumbup: (silver nib shaped earrings maybe? :hmm1: )

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Just thread in a 00-90 tap heat the feed and pull out the stub.

Replacement stainless breather tubes are readily available if you know where to look.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking I'm in the market for a new/NOS breather tube, either in stainless or plastic/Teflon/etc. For now, I only need one, or maybe two, in case I mess one up during installation. I'm not sure I can get the hole correct, if I purchase one without.

Any thoughts on the metal vs. plastic tube?

I also might need a new feed, again in case I mess up the one I have. My feed does look different that some I have seen pictured with the P51. I know there are many incarnations of the pen, so I wonder if I have a non-original feed now.

Any advice?

Thanks for your help and comments in this thread. Thanks also for helping me further my FP repair skills, even though it's a little at a time :)

The only place I would get a replacement breather tube is from Ron Zorn.... they are made to the same specs as factory using high grade stainless steel.....

I'm thinking I'm in the market for a new/NOS breather tube, either in stainless or plastic/Teflon/etc. For now, I only need one, or maybe two, in case I mess one up during installation. I'm not sure I can get the hole correct, if I purchase one without.

Any thoughts on the metal vs. plastic tube?

I also might need a new feed, again in case I mess up the one I have. My feed does look different that some I have seen pictured with the P51. I know there are many incarnations of the pen, so I wonder if I have a non-original feed now.

Any advice?

Thanks for your help and comments in this thread. Thanks also for helping me further my FP repair skills, even though it's a little at a time :)

I would choose stainless to replace the breather tube. You can make one if you want from 18 gauge stainless tubing. The minimum order will likely net you more than one but you need to drill that pesky hole. Punching it in with a laser is the easiest way but I suspect you don't have the equipment to do that. From memory the hole takes a #78 drill bit. (If I'm off by one size it won't matter much.) After you drill the hole remove the burr from the inside of the tube. Use your broken tube as a template.

The original breather tube is Sterling silver and is 0.048" OD. The stainless tubing is 0.050" OD. This is ok since if you bugger up the hole a bit the breather will stay put, alternatively a few swipes on 320 grit paper and you can put the tube in no problem. Insert the tube with some heat on the feed first to soften up the hard rubber.

I use a micro drill bit or a 00-90 tap to remove the stub. Just thread in the utensil (smaller than 0.048") heat the feed and pull out the stub.

Your feed looks fine. Avoid the desire to pick at the remnant of the breather tube with a pin or dental tool, you will just poke your finger and mess up the feed.

I think you have three options:

1: Make a breather tube (teflon is the easiest material to work with.)

2: Buy a stainless breather tube and put it together yourself. (It isn't difficult.)

3: Send the pen to someone that has a supply of stainless breather tubes and have them assemble the pen for you.

Keep us posted.

I gotta chime in...

Todd (farmboy) sells the SS tubes for a very good price. Contact him, and he'll getcha' in business. ;)

I believe Ron won't sell them, but he will install it for you. But then you've got a 2-3 month wait ahead, and a moderately substantial bill...

I say install one yourself. It'll be fun!

FPN%252520banner.jpg

I gotta chime in...

Todd (farmboy) sells the SS tubes for a very good price. Contact him, and he'll getcha' in business. ;)

I believe Ron won't sell them, but he will install it for you. But then you've got a 2-3 month wait ahead, and a moderately substantial bill...

Ron will sell breather tubes... that is why I recommended him.....

I asked him about prices for tubes not that long ago....

I gotta chime in...

Ron will sell breather tubes... that is why I recommended him.....

I asked him about prices for tubes not that long ago....

Okay, I was unaware of that. thanks for informing me!

Would you be able to tell me an approx. price for what he wants?

So far, Todd's price is unbeatable. :)

FPN%252520banner.jpg

why don't you just email him and ask? he's a really nice guy - I doubt he'd growl at you or anything. :P

Buh... But... But... I'm scared.... Me scarded...

roflmho.gif

Yea, I suppose I could. But I hate to bother him and take him form his work. :D

FPN%252520banner.jpg

well, if he's checking email he's not working - or maybe checking email is part of his business. either way - no big deal. I know that when my inbox receives another message, I continue doing whatever I want until I feel like checking my email.