#1 terim

terim

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2011 - 21:30

This is our oldest batch of new old stock pens to date. We believe they are the late model 1952s Symphonys referred to as "Economy Gold Nib Set" in the Eversharp literature. We have two -- maybe two and a half -- models with paper rings indicating they are models 713 (plastic body and cap with gold plated trim) and 714 (plastic body and cap with steel or chrome plated trim). We have a 3rd gold plated model that didn't have a sticker, and it resembles model 713 except for the lack of a cap band (it has rings in the plastic instead).

These are rather plain pens to look at, but the 14k nib is just a knockout. Good and flexible (not wet noodle, but like the Skyline flexible nibs) and on the wet side. Here's the great part: we have them in XF, Fine, Medium, Broad and Stub. While supplies last of course.

We acquired quite a few of these in various colors and nib sizes, and we have selected the best ones to clean up and re-sac. We've got about a half dozen up on the web site now as we wait for our order of #16 sacs to arrive. If you don't see the nib/color combination you prefer, send us a note, and if possible we will make the pen up for you.

This is model 713 ..... gold plated clip, cap ring and lever.

Posted Image

This is model 714 .... the same pen with steel or chrome fittings.

Posted Image

Here's the unknown model, which we call a banded 713:

Posted Image

Here is what the nibs look like:
Posted Image

We will probably have some "seconds" which we will sell at a discount due to corrosion on the cap ring and/or lever. We also expect to be selling the nibs and nib assemblies separately.

To see these pens, please visit our Eversharp category.

Thanks!!

TERI

Edited by terim, 22 August 2011 - 19:37.

Teri Morris

Visit the Peyton Street Pens web site.

Sign-up for our newsletter. We only send it out a few times a year, and there's usually a coupon that you can use to save a few dollars on your next order.

Visit our blog .... we try to provide interesting info for the collector and pen user.

We list new pens on the web site daily ....here's a link to the very latest additions.

#2 Brian C

Brian C

I'm Batman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2011 - 22:54

One gone. Can't beat vintage flex for $68

#3 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:18

+1 :thumbup:
This post contains 100% recycled electrons
Posted Image

#4 phentrek

phentrek

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• 879 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:33

I got a Symphony from eBay. It is one of my favorite writers. I just ordered two!
"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."
-Artemus Ward

#5 terim

terim

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2011 - 21:15

The stubs have sold out, though I will have a few more available later this week when my ink sacs arrive.

Thanks for the orders, folks!

TERI

Teri Morris

Sign-up for our newsletter. We only send it out a few times a year, and there's usually a coupon that you can use to save a few dollars on your next order.

Visit our blog .... we try to provide interesting info for the collector and pen user.

We list new pens on the web site daily ....here's a link to the very latest additions.

#6 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,935 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 21:56

Teri, you are one of the meanest people I know.

<3
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#7 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2011 - 23:01

Teri, you are one of the meanest people I know.

<3

Just because I got a stub and you didn't? :cloud9: Or because she finds such great NOS pens? With great service?

Oh, yeah, she's mean all right.... :lol:

#8 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,935 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 23:18

Just because I got a stub and you didn't? :cloud9: Or because she finds such great NOS pens? With great service?

Oh, yeah, she's mean all right.... :lol:

Lulz. No, it is mostly because she does this after every single pen I'm CERTAIN will be the last pen (that I get from her) to tempt me with. But noooooooooo, there's always another NOS to pull me in...

;)

Edited by JonSzanto, 22 August 2011 - 23:18.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#9 geoduc

geoduc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 00:04

Gah, I couldn't resist!

I've been looking for a reasonably priced entry into vintage flex. Thanks, Teri.

#10 terim

terim

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 00:15

Glad to see some West Coast-ers jumping on these!

Once the ink sacs arrive I'll have a better sense of inventory and will probably start offering some seconds (ones that have some cap ring and/or lever pitting). I also believe I'll have another model from this line to offer in a few weeks, something a bit more upscale.

That's all I can say for the time being!

TERI

Teri Morris

#11 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:00

[quote name='terim' timestamp='1314058509' post='2078440']
Glad to see some West Coast-ers jumping on these!

Once the ink sacs arrive I'll have a better sense of inventory and will probably start offering some seconds (ones that have some cap ring and/or lever pitting). I also believe I'll have another model from this line to offer in a few weeks, something a bit more upscale.

That's all I can say for the time being!

TERI

[/quote

And I'll just bet a few of us in this discussion will be buying... :embarrassed_smile:

#12 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 17:30

I held off as long as I could and then pulled the trigger on a fine, figuring if it's similar to my Namiki Falcon fine, I'll be happy. But I'm hoping for even more flex.

I also always wish there were writing samples for each size nib. I'm always shooting blind and sometimes the resulting pen is not what I had hoped for.

Hope there are some nib sales down the road for this pen, as promised. A stub might be nice. Or maybe all the available sizes! ;)
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#13 terim

terim

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2011 - 17:39

I've been told it's not as flexible as a Namiki Falcon, just to warn you. I don't know the Falcon myself, so I can't say from first hand experience. My only point of comparison were the Skyline flexible nibs, and vintage Watermans.

Test the flex before inking it, and you can always return it for a refund.

I'll try to get a writing sample posted on my web site as soon as I get enough sacs to ink up all the sizes. It won't be pretty or very graceful, but it might give you an idea of line variation.

Thanks
TERI

Edited by terim, 23 August 2011 - 17:48.

Teri Morris

#14 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 22:10

Thanks, Teri, I will try it out. If it isn't flexing enough can you hold a burgundy stub for me instead?

#15 meowmda

meowmda

Pen Freak

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:05

Got my lovely Burgundy 713 Broad in the mail today, and I love it!!! Thanks for such a super find!!
"We're out of cornflakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out F.U. stood for Felix Unger!"

#16 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:15

Got my lovely Burgundy 713 Broad in the mail today, and I love it!!! Thanks for such a super find!!

Great pens, aren't they? :bunny01:

#17 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:12

Posted Image

#18 geoduc

geoduc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:32

Thanks for the sample, GClef.
I have a fine on the way, and your writing sample has increased the anticipation. Can't wait...:puddle:

#19 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,935 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:40

Posted Image

Filed under: A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words.
~ Benjamin Franklin

#20 terim

terim

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 15:26

OMG! I thought: Can that be one of our pens??? I had to confirm we sold one to someone in Piscataway. (This M.M., right?)

You guys are gonna laugh when I post my writing sample ....nothing like the lovely sample posted by Gclef. I spent a few hours re-saccing, and I just need to take a sample of an XF and a medium and I'll post the results.

I've added a few more units to the inventory on the web site. Stubs are pretty much gone, at least the ones in black with gold trim (I'll have a few more blue/steel ones) but you can anticipate a large inventory of broads and fines, and a few dozen XFs and mediums. But it will take us a while to clean them up and re-sac them.

Here's something interesting: I inked up a broad for the first time and let out a squeal when I saw the line. It's not the typical writing-with-a-BB feel, it's got a nice cut so it's like a smaller more rounded stub. I'd love to hear feedback from someone who got a broad.

Thanks!

TERI
Teri Morris

#21 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 15:47

I've been told it's not as flexible as a Namiki Falcon, just to warn you. I don't know the Falcon myself, so I can't say from first hand experience. My only point of comparison were the Skyline flexible nibs, and vintage Watermans.

Test the flex before inking it, and you can always return it for a refund.

I'll try to get a writing sample posted on my web site as soon as I get enough sacs to ink up all the sizes. It won't be pretty or very graceful, but it might give you an idea of line variation.

Thanks
TERI

Posted Image

#22 Florenze

Florenze

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 16:50

GCLEF----Excellent, excellent, sample, thank you!

Was that a Black Swan ink in the first sample? And were there any railroading issues to speak of?

Really appreciate that you did this!

" Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. "

A. Schopenhauer

#23 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 17:25

GCLEF----Excellent, excellent, sample, thank you!

Was that a Black Swan ink in the first sample? And were there any railroading issues to speak of?

Really appreciate that you did this!

Thanks.
Waterman Havana.
Any railroading I got was the result of my tweaking the pen to make it a slightly drier writer.

#24 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 23:36

I can confirm that they are flexy indeed! The burgundy fine nib is as good as my Falcon. I cleaned her out, according to the included instructions, filled her up with PR Plum and I am in heaven! Love the look and the flex. I'm tempted to get another... Maybe a medium. No. I am way over budget. But maybe...

Hope you get in a nice medium.

PS Thanks, Teri!

Edited by januaryman, 25 August 2011 - 23:44.

#25 terim

terim

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2011 - 00:52

I'll work on some mediums tonite, I promise. I think I have black and burgundy with the gold trim (model 713) and some blue with steel trim (model 913).

FYI Everyone -- the pens with the steel trim are actually model 913, so that's where to look for them on the web site. The steel trim pens did not survive their years in storage as well as the gold trimmed ones, so there will be less selection.

The reception received by these pens has been immensely gratifying! I'd worried that I had oversold the flexiness, but apparently not.

Thanks a bunch!

TERI

Teri Morris

#26 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:52

Teri,

I wish I hadn't just spent a bunch of money on some pens/inks in the past week otherwise I would've loved to have gotten one of those!
Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#27 shahrincamille

shahrincamille

Hantu Penanggalan

• Member - Gold

• 825 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2011 - 19:20

Got myself a 713 Burgundy with a Fine nib :cloud9:

And while I'm there, decided to also get a Bexley Corona piston-filler in Summer Sunset. Using the promo code provided, a $15 discount was given :thumbup:

Now the wait......:puddle:

Shahrin B)

#28 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,935 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:04

The reception received by these pens has been immensely gratifying! I'd worried that I had oversold the flexiness, but apparently not.

Well, I don't think you oversold it, but let's give some props: it was GClef's demo of the Fine w/Flex that caused me to pull the trigger. I assume you saw my order come in.

Of course, this now means that GClef is on my bad list.

:D

~ Benjamin Franklin

#29 Vintage Razor

Vintage Razor

Mint

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:55

Fantastic looking pen I may have to buy one....

#30 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2011 - 20:57

Posted Image