Parker Penman Sapphire

saskia_madding

Here's a link to a picture of the full review.

There's been a lot of talk about this ink clogging and staining pens, but I've never had a problem. I tend to change my inks frequently and I do a very thorough job cleaning my pens, so perhaps that is what it takes to get along with this ink. I can't tell because I've never had a problem with it.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Parker/DSC08963.jpg

There is a lot to love about this ink - gorgeous colour, delicious red sheen, smooth lubrication. But there are some downsides to it as well - a long dry time, and smudging almost as bad as PR Sherwood.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Parker/DSC08965.jpg

The richness of the colour is amazing.
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Parker/DSC08961.jpg

And the sheen ... wow!
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Parker/DSC08968.jpg

More pictures here.

Edited by saskia_madding

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• saskia_madding

• The Good Captain

• torstar

Do you mean Parker's Penman Sapphire? (No offence meant.) Those shots you made do in fact remind me more of the real McCoy, but also that the recent substitute of D. C. Waites is much too green, however famous it (the substitute) has become.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Nope, I meant Parker Penman Sapphire. Sorry for the typo! :embarrassed_smile: Thanks to Sandy1 for the PM to tell me how to change the thread title!

I've got a couple of bottles of the real McCoy and I love it, despite the smudging. :)

Edited by simonerodrigue

It reminds me of Diamine Majestic which is just too sticky and slow, slow drying for my taste. I'll try diluting it or cutting it with something drier.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Great ink, sadly running out in the world.

I tell myself that DC Supershow Blue/American Blue is the same colour.

Does American Blue do that "red sheen" thing? I picked up a bottle at the DC show but haven't dipped into it yet... That would be cool. I have some Akkerman Shocking Blue (think Diamine Majestic Blue) that does the sheen trick. Pity that Penman is so scarce...

Does American Blue do that "red sheen" thing? I picked up a bottle at the DC show but haven't dipped into it yet... That would be cool. I have some Akkerman Shocking Blue (think Diamine Majestic Blue) that does the sheen trick. Pity that Penman is so scarce...

My bottle of DC Supershow (the electric one) did. Beautiful but the ink never dried and I got tired of everything smearing.

Of the thousands of inks I have, this is the one I couldn't live without.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I have recently been able to test an untouched bottle of PPS. It was somewhat lighter in colour than the bottle I had been using. I have since reconstituted my original bottle to match the new bottle.

After reading suggestions from others. I am now convinced that the closest modern equivalent to PPS is Private Reserve American Blue with 15% water. It looks the same and behaves the same (dry time, smearing, feathering, bleeding) as PPS.

As for the 'red sheen', I think that only happens with pens that may be too wet. My pens don't show it at all, and in fact, show a much more pleasant medium blue with lots of shading and character.

PR DC Supershow Blue seems to be a more saturated version of PR Am. Blue. The colour is similar, just a tad darker and richer, with the associated longer drying time. It may be a better ink on slightly fibrous papers, with PR Am. Blue being more suited to harder, smoother papers.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

There is a lot to love about this ink - gorgeous colour, delicious red sheen, smooth lubrication. But there are some downsides to it as well - a long dry time, and smudging almost as bad as PR Sherwood.

I never encountered those problems (or more than subtle hints of the sheen) unless I was laying it down wetly on some pretty dense paper, like bond paper.

I liked Penman Sapphire, which was great in its day, but I don't miss it anymore. Noodler's Blue is a pretty near match in color and saturation, and is readily available, and is more water-resistant too. I'm just glad I kept some of those lovely Penman bottles to pour the stuff into.

Actually, my favorite blue now is Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet, which I do consider to be a higher-maintenance ink, but it's a rich and attractive color (sort of blue-blue-black with a hint of aqua), water/bleach/laser-resistant security ink, and the shading kills.

Hi,

Many thanks for another look at this most impressive ink! :thumbup:

It does seem to be holding up well as time passes, which is a boon to those who consider it par excellence.

I still use PPS from time to time in the same Duofold used for my introduction to this ink. Maybe its just sentiment, but there does seem to be something special about that ink+pen combo - perhaps that the pen runs a bit lean - that allows the ink to really show-off, and not have its character 'submerged' in the darker tones.

I can hardly wait to get back to my inks, so I can use this one soonest!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Many thanks for another look at this most impressive ink! :thumbup:

It does seem to be holding up well as time passes, which is a boon to those who consider it par excellence.

I still use PPS from time to time in the same Duofold used for my introduction to this ink. Maybe its just sentiment, but there does seem to be something special about that ink+pen combo - perhaps that the pen runs a bit lean - that allows the ink to really show-off, and not have its character 'submerged' in the darker tones.

I can hardly wait to get back to my inks, so I can use this one soonest!

Bye,

S1

I have had PPS non-stop in this black Duofold since I got it from PB2 here, which is a moderately wet writer. Just keep refilling the same cartridge. For the last 6 months since coming down with diabetes, I have been using it to keep track of my dog's insulin, blood sugars, food, medications several times a day. Have not had any problems with long drying on 4 different Staples tablets (Eco-Sugar Cane, Ampad Gold Fibre, and & Meade. I just checked on the sugar cane and it is all dry at 4 sec, except final endstroke pool which take 5-6 sec. On Meade, all dry at 5 sec, except final endstroke pool takes about 8 sec to dry.

There are other properties that PPS has besides the color & sheen (sheen is dependent on paper) -- which may be approximated by some of the above suggestions. However, I have not found an equal to PPS that includes all of its features, including all mentioned previously. It is what motivated me to build up a good reserve PPS supply.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Fantastic color, no doubt about that. Too bad it's no longer around.

Based on various scans and reviews here, Diamine Majestic Blue and Akkerman Shocking Blue (which is probably Diamine Majestic Blue in a nicer bottle...) look very similar to Penman Saphire Blue.

Edited by raging.dragon

I have found that many inks look similar to one "face" of PPS; no other ink has all the "faces". The sheen, the shading, the slight change of color that varies between PR American Blue and Supershow Blue with a purple/red glow.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Fantastic color, no doubt about that. Too bad it's no longer around.

Based on various scans and reviews here, Diamine Majestic Blue and Akkerman Shocking Blue (which is probably Diamine Majestic Blue in a nicer bottle...) look very similar to Penman Saphire Blue.

I thought the same at the beginning, but after some use I realized that the majestic after few days of drying gets a dark turquoise tone, while the penman stays dark sapphire. And the drying and smearing problems disappear if you add some distilled water. Sadly, the Penman is THE best blue I've tried. I have constantly inked a modern parker duofold (which I dont like much)just because I have penmen cartridges. It's only fault is the lack of water resistance. But it is a dark pure sapphire blue that stays with no change after drying. The best blue I've found so far. Dont understand why it was discontinued.

oh wow that's some beautiful looking shading, this is like the perfect combination of blue-hint of purple-black

torstar said the ink was running out, is this true? :o

oh wow that's some beautiful looking shading, this is like the perfect combination of blue-hint of purple-black

torstar said the ink was running out, is this true? :o

Production stopped a long time ago (I'm not certain when) and unsold inventories have dwindled to almost nothing. At this point probably the only sources are collectors looking to clear up some space, or speculators who bought the ink when it was readily available and are looking to make some money selling the now rare ink.