The Onoto Overlay No. 1

Hennypenny

"Oh my!," my husband heard as I unwrapped this pen. "Is that a 'good oh my', or a 'bad oh my'?", he said. "Good," I replied, "Very good ... actually, most excellent."

I received this pen only 3 days ago - since I've had it such a short time, it's too soon for a complete review, but I wanted to share my first impressions.

Frankly, I am over the moon about this pen! I first saw it on Richard Binder's site when he announced he's become an Onoto dealer -- upon seeing it there, I knew I had to have it. I sent Barbara a few questions, but didn't even wait for a reply before ordering. I wanted a Fine nib, and Barbara wrote back that they were awaiting delivery of an assortment of non-Medium nibs. She said the nibs run on the thin side, so I was quite sure I'd be happy with the Fine.

Luckily for me, the Binders got the nibs and were able to get my pen in the mail before they left for the DC Pen Show. I received it quickly and tore into the package. My first surprise was the lovely presentation box inside the outer box -- the pen rests inside a highly-lacquered burl wood box (faux or real - I can't tell) that is impressive in its own right. It's a fitting repository for this stunning pen.

Upon opening the wooden box, I was blown away by the overlay. This is a Henry Simpole overlay in an Art Nouveau style - the elegance and artistry is exquisite! The pen itself is slender and long, and surprisingly light for the amount of hallmarked silver. Details about size can be had on Richard's website.

Now, the cap is friction fit, not threaded. That creates a distinct and different sensation upon uncapping the pen - takes some getting used to. It posts the same way, but I never post. The filling system is c/c, and I suppose it could be converted to ED (I like c/c, so will use it as such). Also, it's clipless, which again is preferable for me.

After much internal debate, I filled the converter with J Herbin Eclat de Saphir, a favorite blue ink. The #3, 18 carat Fine nib is a delight -- it glides over Rhodia paper without effort, and works equally well in a Moleskin journal. Richard set the nib to the exact wetness I prefer, so I'm in love with the nib's performance - smooth and effortless!!

I'll comment more after I've used this pen for a while, but so far I'm thoroughly pleased!! This is a pen I'll have and use for years ... HP

Edited by Hennypenny

The sky IS falling. C. Little

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hennypenny

• reprieve

• ethernautrix

• Jonst

Very beautiful pen. Thank you for sharing.

Is the cap a click fit(snap on) or a slide fit like the Parker 51?

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Congratulations Hennypenny! Henry has done it again - and with such loving attention to detail by the sound of it! I hope you have many many happy hours of writing with your new pen!

I can feel your excitement - :cloud9:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

That's a gorgeous looking pen.

How would the nib you do have compare with a Pelikan M1000's, a Montblanc 149's, or a Parker Duofold's ? Is it springy, stiff, ... ?

Thanks in advance!

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I hope that I'm not stating the 'bleedin'' obvious here, but have you noticed the 'hidden' ONOTO motive within the design?

The reason for my asking, is that sometimes these things can sometimes not be conveyed to the buyer! When the first commissioned piece for Conway Stewart was made for their centenary, nobody was told about the initials, and the date [1905], and when I was at an American pen show, I was amazed to discover that one of the dealers who was selling them did not know anything about the subliminal 'message!' The same thing occurred when the Great Exhibition Pen was launched!

If you look carefully, it appears on the cap,and also in the barrel design, although it is perhaps a little too subliminal in the latter!

I am really pleased that you like it, and I hope that you will thoroughly enjoy using it for many years.

Truffle Finder. [AKA Henry Simpole!] :thumbup: :embarrassed_smile:

... have you noticed the 'hidden' ONOTO motive within the design?

TF - oh yes! I knew about the ONOTO in the design and spent a good deal of time studying the drawing of the overlay to discover it! Richard's site explains about it. But frankly, I haven't stopped writing with the pen long enough to search for the ONOTO on it.

This is such a special pen -- your work is just exceptional -- wonderful to look at and to hold! I will treasure it.

And the nib is delightfully "soft" -- not a nail, but slightly springy like 18k should be.

But again - just my initial impressions - a full review will come later.

Excellent work, TF! HP

Hennypenny, congrats-- it is indeed a beautiful pen!!

It isn't an Art Deco design but rather a very wonderful Art Nouveau style! happyberet.gif I love the hidden Onoto in the design.

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

I hope that I'm not stating the 'bleedin'' obvious here, but have you noticed the 'hidden' ONOTO motive within the design?

Henry, our Onoto page includes your original sketch and the text from Onoto's site explaining the subliminal message. But if you will send me a brief write-up, I will expand on the explanation on our page and will also include your description on an extra slip we'll package with the pen.

For the terminally curious: Hennypenny's nib is actually a regrind. We didn't receive an appropriate nib in time to send her package before we took off for the Washington DC SuperShow, so I ground a broader nib down to her specs in order to get the pen shipped. Since Onoto nibs don't indicate the grade in the imprint, there's no harm, no foul.

Also for the terminally curious: the cap is a tight (but smooth) friction fit, no snap at all. And it posts on the peg at the back of the barrel. All in all, it's a very well executed homage to the early Onotos of the early 20th century. For your delectation, here are photos (not in scale with each other) of the Simpole overlay and my personal first-model Onoto:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/onoto/zoomed/onoto_simpole_ag.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/coll/zoomed/onoto_bchr.jpg

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

It isn't an Art Deco design but rather a very wonderful Art Nouveau style! happyberet.gif I love the hidden Onoto in the design.

You're RIGHT! I realized my mistake mid-morning and have been anxious to get back to revise what I said -- thanks for helping!!!

Aha, Richard! I wondered about the nib -- you did wonderful work, as usual.

Did I mention I'm loving this pen?!

HP

Yet another gorgeous overlay from Mr. Simpole! I'm happy to see Onoto making a comeback in the modern pen world.

A stunning pen beautifully photographed, I'm green with envy!

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

I really like the overlay on this pen and I keep coming back to it despite its smallish size. I prefer wider pens than this usually, but it is just so lovely! The overall shape is very pleasing to look at.

How do you like the friction fit cap? Does it require some force to remove? Does it sometimes suck ink into the cap?

That is a gorgeous pen, Hennypenny! I love the slimmer profile of it.... The overlay is beautiful -- and Richard's original Onoto is also very tempting.

I can see why you're delighted!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I really like the overlay on this pen and I keep coming back to it despite its smallish size. I prefer wider pens than this usually, but it is just so lovely! The overall shape is very pleasing to look at.

How do you like the friction fit cap? Does it require some force to remove? Does it sometimes suck ink into the cap?

I usually prefer wider pens, too -- but the girth of this pen is delightful - per Richard, it's 0.49". I think the slim look of the pen is partly an illusion created by its length and lack of clip. In any event, this pen is comfortable to use -- well-balanced -- very tactile.

The action of the friction fit cap is different - rather than using force to pull it off, I find it useful to twist and to simultaneously pull and/or push. It's a very deliberate action that I find pleasing -- makes me aware of opening the pen. Kind of a mindfulness thing ... In any case, it doesn't force ink into the cap or cause it to leak.

I think what's supremely pleasing about this pen is that it's a modern pen with a truly vintage look; it's like finding a NOS 1920's overlay pen.

I'm still loving this pen! I even dream about it ... HP/Vicki

• 3 months later...