New Vp - Nib Rubbing On Trap Door...

So I just got my brand new Black matte VP bunny01.gif but I have one problem with it. Some one had the same thing a while ago, and no one ever came to a conclusion...

The tipping on the bottom of my nib is rubbing the trap door every time I extend the nib. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do this. I can feel it rubbing on there...

Anyone else have this problem? Should I send it back for repairs? I don't want to be without it for weeks on end. It's already been wait enough to get a hold of it in the first place.

Thank you in advance for nay possible solutions or insight on this issue. notworthy1.gif

Aside from this, I'm totally loving the pen! The black matte finish is delicious to the touch... drool.gif

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oranges and Apples

• hari317

• Dillo

• crunchmaster

Okay, look at this diagram from pilot. It looks like the nib is supposed to hit the door, in fact it's what pushes the door open. Huh? If it's made that way then cool! I really can't tell now... Some one who knows more please fill me in...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h156/william-m/Pens/Caplesscrosssection.jpg

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

As far as I can tell what you describe seems normal. The nib pushes the flap open. I don't feel any "rubbing" till it gets to the point where the edge of the door transitions to the bottom of the feed. The pen has worked this way since I got it from Richard Binder several months ago, and there does not seem to be any significant wear on the nib as a result. As long as the flap or door stays smooth and freely moving, it is probably less wear on the nib than continually dragging the tip of the nib across paper!

I hope this helps. Enjoy your VP!

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

If you look very close it is the plastic feed that opens the trap door.

There is no linkage to open it it is the pressure of the nib extending that opens the door and spring pressure closes it when the nib is retracted. I have used Pilot V/P pens daily for 5+ years with no problems caused by this other than a little ink on the trap door and seals I just flush the body using the nib to open and close the trap door under a stream of water shake it out, and dry it over night and it's good to go.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

If you look very close it is the plastic feed that opens the trap door.

There is no linkage to open it it is the pressure of the nib extending that opens the door and spring pressure closes it when the nib is retracted. I have used Pilot V/P pens daily for 5+ years with no problems caused by this other than a little ink on the trap door and seals I just flush the body using the nib to open and close the trap door under a stream of water shake it out, and dry it over night and it's good to go.

I'm confused though - if you look at that diagram, there is way the feed can hit before the nib. And I know my nib is hitting the door.

I need to find a pilot rep. and talk with them in person... wacko.gif

FPN%252520banner.jpg

I will have to check again but as I remember the nib is very close or just lightly touching on mine, and I have 12 now 3 Fermo's and the rest regular V/P. The slight contact that is rapidly transferred to the feed has not caused any of my nibs to wear or become less smooth. Do you have a camera that will take a picture of the nib as it starts to open?

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

It's not a flaw. This is the way the pen is designed. The feed is actually doing most of the work. You don't have to worry about damaging the nib. These pens have been happily working this way for what 30-40 years now?

Just enjoy your VP. It's a great little pen!

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• 4 months later...

Hey,

I created the above graphic and can confirm that it is bottom section of the plastic feed that pushes open the trap door. The nib never touches the body of the pen or door.

William

I have all the Pilot catalogues, ask me if you need help.

Looking to swap my Noodlers Britannia's Blue Waves

Hey,

I created the above graphic and can confirm that it is bottom section of the plastic feed that pushes open the trap door. The nib never touches the body of the pen or door.

William

If the depiction in the graphic is correct, there is no way the nib tip will not hit the trap door before the feeder does.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hey,

William

If the depiction in the graphic is correct, there is no way the nib tip will not hit the trap door before the feeder does.

Hari is right, either your words or your graphics are incorrect.

Hmmm... oh dear, I thought I knew how the pen worked. But OK I will have a look around for Capless beyond repair to take apart and see if I can shed any light on this.

I have all the Pilot catalogues, ask me if you need help.

Looking to swap my Noodlers Britannia's Blue Waves

My Fermo does this too. It makes sense, for the brief time the nib does touch the door, it's enough ink for the door to smear over the bottom of the feed. I think that it should be normal.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

My Fermo does this too. It makes sense, for the brief time the nib does touch the door, it's enough ink for the door to smear over the bottom of the feed. I think that it should be normal.

My vanishing point does this. i suspect it is normal.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• 10 months later...

I thought it fit to revive this old thread to add some information. It is by design that the nib is supposed to contact/push open the trap door as the nib unit is propelled forward. It is for this reason that the trapdoor's return spring is kept weak to prevent bending the nib, as it pushes the trapdoor open.

Interesting design details can be found in the following Pilot patents:

US3292593

US3427112

US4560298

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi,

The nib does touch the door on all of my three Pilot Capless pens. I can take a photo to confirm this. I can also feel when the point when the feed takes over from the nib.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

"The trap door is on a slant relative to the nib (which is flat) so the feed hits the trap door first, then the nib hits the trap door as you go a little deeper (pushing the button), and then the nib leaves contact with the trap door with the feed's friction completing the action.

If you press slowly, you can feel the initial contact, which is soft and that could only be the feed since the feed is relatively soft when compared to the point's material."

I explain how it works in this thread and another member illustrates with the physical mechanism.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/224486-pilot-vanishing-point-mechanism/

"The trap door is on a slant relative to the nib (which is flat) so the feed hits the trap door first, then the nib hits the trap door as you go a little deeper (pushing the button), and then the nib leaves contact with the trap door with the feed's friction completing the action.

If you press slowly, you can feel the initial contact, which is soft and that could only be the feed since the feed is relatively soft when compared to the point's material."

If you look at the images posted in the thread that you have linked to, it is clear that the nib will hit the trapdoor first, not the feed.

The Pilot patents I reference to in post 14, also confirms the same.

Thanks!

I explain how it works in this thread and another member illustrates with the physical mechanism.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/224486-pilot-vanishing-point-mechanism/

If you look at the images posted in the thread that you have linked to, it is clear that the nib will hit the trapdoor first, not the feed.

The Pilot patents I reference to in post 14, also confirms the same.

Thanks!

The feed does indeed hit the trap door first.

If you have your Pilot Vanishing Point (we are talking about the modern version right) press the button ever so slightly until you meet your initial resistance.

The feeling should be soft. The soft feeling is a plastic making contact with a metal surface.

Push a little further and then you should meet your second "layer" or resistance and slight rubbing of two metal objects. That is the nib making contact and rubbing against the trap door.

The feeling should be a little rougher than your first encounter with resistance. The rougher feeling is a metal making contact with a metal surface.

Continue pushing, and that is your third "layer" or resistance, which is the feed pushing the trap door down and if you continue all the way until you can no longer push the button, then you would have a fully actuated pen.

The feeling should be identical to soft feeling in the initial resistance. Again, this is a plastic making contact with a metal surface.

Even if the illustration or patent is different, there is always theory versus practice, and what I described is how it actually happens.

Edited by Oranges and Apples