A Clear Summer Sky

TheGreatImber

Before you read about the sublime beauty that is the Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, you must understand that this exact post with a slightly better header can be viewed at my blog, The Nibs Co.

Also for a direct link to the post, please do click here.

The Iroshizuku line is a set of premium inks recently introduced by the Pilot Pen Company. These inks however do come at a retail price of $35, but can be availed from most retailers around $28. That is however at a premium in comparison to even more expensive inks such as MontBlanc ($16.90), Montegrappa ($19) and Caran d’Ache ($18.75). Despite the price, the ink is every bit worth the price. The name "Iroshizuku" is a combination of the Japanese words Iro (Coloring) and Shizuku (Droplet) which brings to mind shades of watercolors. The colours are similar in this nature as each colour expresses a single shade that is part of the Japanese landscape.

Part of The Goulet Pen Company’s May 2011 Ink Drop; the Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki is a deep cerulean blue used to express a clear summer sky. The ink is more Turquoise than Blue in nature. Yet each of the 17 inks is a deep, bold and beautiful colour. Though I haven’t gotten around sampling all 17, I have been impressed by each of them so far. The ink feels luxurious and has great lubricating qualities. Even comparable to the famed Noodler’s Blue Eel. The shading qualities of this ink and the absence of saturation make it an excellent for use in flex pens; a fit for the Pilot Custom 742 (Falcon nib) or the Namiki Falcon.

A Deep Cerulean Blue, the ink has found its way on to my WishList, and is a wonderful ink to try. A sample can be purchased at The Goulet Pen Company, while the ink bottle can be purchased online from The Goulet Pen Company or JetPens.

Oh! and here's the review...

http://www.thenibs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Iroshizuku-Kon-Peki-792x1024.jpg

To view the same review in higher resolution, click here.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheGreatImber

• PaulT00

• Amandaa

• shaylenwilliams

thx for the review.

on my screen it looks between PR naples blue and Diamine havasu turquoise. closer to the latter.

http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/IS-PR03NB.jpg http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/IS-D7064.jpg

Edited by lovemy51

thx for the review.

on my screen it looks between PR naples blue and Diamine havasu turquoise. closer to the latter.

http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/IS-PR03NB.jpg http://www.gouletpens.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/IS-D7064.jpg

You are spot on! Based on my personal experience I would put it closer to the Diamine Havasu Turquoise in shade! However in regions where the ink pools up it approaches the PR Naples Blue.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Kon-peki compared to some of the other Iroshi shades, however it is nice and lubricating. I absolutely have to credit Iroshi for that. The lube+some of the shades make the price tag just bearable to buy them. Nice review, I love that handwriting!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Kon-Peki is one of my favourite inks (disclaimer!) but I find it to be a truer blue than Navajo Turquoise. Depending on how wet the pen it can be a deep turquoise or a bright blue - I prefer the wetter pen and thus the bluer effect. It's also an ink which has a 'sheen' to it and shades beautifully, which was not the case with the sample of Navajo Turquoise I had. It is quite saturated and I discovered the other day that it's not a good idea to handle a piece of writing in it with damp hands unless one wants a blue stain on said hands.

Very nice ink.I have a weakness for any turquoise coloured ink. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great comments on this wonderful ink. FYI--those are swabs from Goulet Pens and Brian and Rachel work long hours to make all those samples available for our viewing pleasure so I thought I'd pipe in and give them the credit they're due.

thx for the review.