A Magnificent Blue

TheGreatImber

The following post can also be viewed at my blog, The Nibs.

The link to this post is here: A Magnificent Blue

The introduction of premium inks was brought about the Parker Pen Company was brought about in the 1900s with the famed Parker Penman Series. A feature of these inks was their oversaturation. As a result these inks had extremely beautiful, rich and vibrant colors as well as were removed from production for their later ability to clog and destroy pens. Even today these inks divide most fountain pen fanatics as well as are near impossible to find. Truthfully, the Parker Penman Sapphire (Blue) and Emerald (Green) are much more than glorified myths.

Part of the The Goulet Pen Company’s May 2011 Ink Drop was Diamine Ink’s Majestic Blue. This ink is no pretender to the throne and yet is no Penman Sapphire. The two inks are similar in shade, saturation and appearance. To test the ink I used my Parker Rialto in addition to my Lamy Safari. It seemed appropriate that a Parker be the judge of the true heir. Personally, I consider the Rialto to be the runt of my pen collection. It’s not a great performer or spectacular to look at but I would never part with it. A pen that is only brought about on occasion for testing multiple inks; the pen has found its way into my rotation as long as this sample lasts. The ink seems to lubricate the Parker feed much better than any other pen- a coincidence, I think nor.

The ink seems to adapt most of the positive qualities of the Penman Sapphire and none of the accompanying issues. A distinguishing feature of the Majestic Blue from the Penman Sapphire is that it holds its own with its iridescent red hue; due to the ink’s oversaturated nature. Areas at the end of a down stroke; wherein the ink pools this red hue is most noticeable. In conclusion, the ink is a truly wonderful ink!

Here is the review for the Diamine Majestic Blue…

http://www.thenibs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Diamine-Majestic-Blue-733x1024.jpg

For a higher resolution of the above review; follow this link: Diamine Majestic Blue High Resolution Ink Review

Edited by TheGreatImber

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• TheGreatImber

• lapis

• DanielCoffey

Thanks for this review. I must say that I do like that ink, but -- to stick to "comparable" Diamines (if that is indeed possible) -- I think I prefer their Royal, Sapphire, and Imperial blues. By no means their Prussian or Asa blue... They sure got a lot of blues in their program...

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for this review. I must say that I do like that ink, but -- to stick to "comparable" Diamines (if that is indeed possible) -- I think I prefer their Royal, Sapphire, and Imperial blues. By no means their Prussian or Asa blue... They sure got a lot of blues in their program...

Mike

I have not tried the other blue inks from Diamine, but I have been really impressed so far! They are delightfully saturated and have great vibrant, bold colours! Also they have a really wide arrays of shades especially in blue! I guess next up is Royal,Sapphire and Imperial Blue. Thanks for the tip Mike! I guess you should know your blues with the username lapis!

Edited by TheGreatImber

They do some softer toned blues too - the Prussian, Indigo and China Blues are all gentle.

Thanks for the review.

Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

I really do like the Prussian blue...I think I need to get myself a bottle. It's the only real dark dark blue I've come to really like (apart from PR Electric DC). :embarrassed_smile:

I really do like the Prussian blue...I think I need to get myself a bottle. It's the only real dark dark blue I've come to really like (apart from PR Electric DC). :embarrassed_smile:

i find these two way different!! prussian blue is more like a dusty grey blue, not dark at all. whilst DC electric blue is a lot more vibrant and truer blue.