#1 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:30

I have recently had a P51 Vac restored to working condition. It has a very nice medium gold nib. It is not a "blue diamond" pen. The pen is black. The section hood has a translucent section about a quarter inch wide starting half an inch up from the nib. Unfortunately I cannot photograph it to show you. I seen a couple P51 vacs and several later aerometrics, and on none of them have I seen this kind of thing. It is as if some of the black dye in the plastic is missing in that piece. The area of translucency is even and neat.

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:56

I have recently had a P51 Vac restored to working condition. It has a very nice medium gold nib. It is not a "blue diamond" pen. The pen is black. The section hood has a translucent section about a quarter inch wide starting half an inch up from the nib. Unfortunately I cannot photograph it to show you. I seen a couple P51 vacs and several later aerometrics, and on none of them have I seen this kind of thing. It is as if some of the black dye in the plastic is missing in that piece. The area of translucency is even and neat.

Nothing wrong or missing. The hood is actually quite thin in places and sometimes the black and blue hoods have that translucent cast to them in bright light. I sort of enjoy the effect.

#3 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:07

Nothing wrong or missing. The hood is actually quite thin in places and sometimes the black and blue hoods have that translucent cast to them in bright light. I sort of enjoy the effect.

Thanks Farmboy, that is good to know.