The Classic Tripod Grip

troglokev

The four step program

Step 1: Balance the pen between your webbing and your middle finger.

fpn_1312072160__step_1.jpg

Step 2: Rest your forefinger against the pen. The pen is now stable under its own weight, with three points of contact. Test it: tip your hand away from yourself, the pen should not fall out.

fpn_1312072232__step_2.jpg

Step 3: Close thumb gently over the pen, in the natural manner. The pen will move up your knuckle a little as your hand changes shape. Let it sit where it wants to.

fpn_1312072343__step_3.jpg

Step 4: Write.

fpn_1312072465__step_4.jpg

Once you're used to holding the pen, you don't need the first couple of steps. You just pick it up. However, they are a useful exercise when you find yourself squeezing the pen too hard.

Edited by troglokev

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• troglokev

• Mickey

• Skyclad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent tutorial! Thank you! Finally someone took the time to come out with this in picture form... rolleyes.gif

Luckily I have been blessed with a natural perfect grip on my pens... bunny01.gif

Regards,

777 - Tyler Dahl :D

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

A variation on the above is to move the forefinger on top of the pen. This is useful to control flex, for pens that have it, and scripts that use it. I prefer the classic grip for general writing.

fpn_1312070377__forefinger_over.jpg

Edited by troglokev

Neet- Could you demonstrate the much mentioned "Death Grip" ?

a never mind I just saw a previous post.

Edited by Desertsnowman

Thank you so much for this! My first fountain pen came in today, and this little tutorial has been very helpful!

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

hmm... Interesting, my thumb is a bit lower in the grip, it is near or at the same level as the index finger (at the section), I find that it is easier to control the pen... Thanks for the demonstration! :thumbup:

Tripod.jpg

I hope that is still the tripod! :hmm1: Hey, a tripod needs all three legs at equal lengths to stand balanced! :roflmho:

Excuse my fingernail on the pinky... :embarrassed_smile:

By the way, this is how I used to hold pens, and still do sometimes... with pencils when sketching :embarrassed_smile: ) This is my version, if not THE version of death grip, note the blood shot index finger tip:

My%252520Death%252520Grip.jpg

Edited by andybiotic
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg

I am pleased to see that my grip is, and has been for some time, quite in line with the tripod. My sister, however, has a terrible case of death grip. I imagine that the Lamy Safari would be a particularly useful tool to get rid of death-gripping, as the countours would make it most difficult.

I have a problem where my index finger cannot decide whether it wants to be in the deathgrip or the perfect tripod. I think I need more practice to control it.

My pens: Montblanc 145 Chopin burgundy and gold F, Waterman Audace Summer Night F, Waterman Phileas Marbled Gray M, Rembrandt Visconti black F, Lamy 2000 EF, Wality eyedropper F, Sailor Realo M, Sailor 1911 Music nib, Namiki Falcon SF, Platinum Maestro #3776 F, Sailor Creatures of the Deep Seahorse B nib, Visconti Art Nouveau M, Stipula Il Giardino LE 1.1 stub

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hey, a tripod needs all three legs at equal lengths to stand balanced! :roflmho:

Actually it only requires that the centre of mass is over the triangle formed by the support points. Your grip looks fine, your thumb is just a little longer than mine. The old grip, on the other hand...

Ouch.

Ahh, That sure feels better! Thanks for this valuable lesson troglokev!

This makes it worth mucking around taking the photos. Thanks, Reene!

Edited by troglokev

Hey, a tripod needs all three legs at equal lengths to stand balanced! :roflmho:

Actually it only requires that the centre of mass to be over the triangle formed by the support points. Your grip looks fine, your thumb is just a little longer than mine. The old grip, on the other hand...

Ouch.

Ah, you learn new things everyday :thumbup: ! Good to know that mine grip is fine also. I once took an three hour exam writing fast and non-stop using my death grip on a cheap bic ballpoint :crybaby: ! I guess you wounldn't notice it when you are in "the zone"! It felt like my arm was about to fall off afterwards though! Good thing it was my very last exam!

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg

I have a problem where my index finger cannot decide whether it wants to be in the deathgrip or the perfect tripod. I think I need more practice to control it.

Try turning your hand over, and letting go with your thumb from time to time, just to relax your hand a bit. (i.e. step 2)

I like my forefinger at 12:30 (can put it at 12:00 also), and if posted my thumb a bit back up the barrel.

There is no pressure needed with the forefinger on top. You don't have to 'learn' no pressure, it's automatic.

Remember to grasp the pen like a featherless little baby bird, and you are fine.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

How does the death grip look like? How do I know I'm doing a death grip? With the grip you mentioned I find it too uncontrollable, especially with pens with skinny grip section, however it does not a bad job on a HS.

I also can't quite do the grip you do, my index finger slips ontop of the pen, while still staying in its natural position, not pointed like you recommended for flex, but else my index finger is not relaxed when trying to do like in your picture. I guess that may be the reason for the unstability.

I can't imagine being able to do flex with this grip, however, no problems with my usual grip.

The most important features of the tripod grip are (obviously) the three point finger connection, low pressure, and minimum flex in the first knuckle of the index finger and thumb. Natural variations in hand size and confirmation are going vary the appearance of individual instances. In other words, go for the concept, don't try to ape a particular photo.

I don't think the "finger over" variant is particularly desirable or useful. As for its utility with flex nibs, the better way to apply pressure is via wrist flex and hand rotation. That technique allows pressure to be applied not only straight downward, but through a ranges of angles, allowing the pen to trace curving shades with minimal nib chattering. This approach also doesn't imbalance the grip pressure as much as pressing down with the index finger. The grip as a whole transmits the pressure and the releasing of the pressure naturally returns the point to it's normal pressure on (and geometric relation to) the page.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I have tried and tried and tried, but I just can't write legibly this way. I don't squeeze my pen, but I do use 4 fingers. Think of it as a tripod grip between thumb, middle, and ring with a dead-weight index on top. I have thick hands, and this minimizes the amount of "meat" under the pen, and is super comfy for me.

<br />What pen is that you're using in the photos? The nib with the cut-outs at the shoulder intrigues me.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If I'm not mistaken, he's using a namiki/pilot falcon. It's a semi-flexible nib - hence the cutouts...

I kinda want one myself... :)

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.