Nakaya Duo

Sleepow

Dear FPNers,

As you might have seen in previous posts, I am planning on ordering my first Nakaya.

However I am now considering to order two.

Since I might not get another one soon after that, I want to chose wisely and having some second opinion might help.

Basically I have classified the pens in two categories:

Classic Nakaya:

Long Cigar in Kuro Tamenuri

Long Cigar in Aka Tamenuri

Neo Standard in Heki Tamenuri

Neo Standard in Aka Tamenuri

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/Long/LongWriterKuroTamenuri_UnCapped.jpg

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/Long/LongCigarAkatamenuri_UnCapped.jpg

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/Neo%20Standard/NeoWriterHekiUncapped.jpg

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/Neo%20Standard/NeoWriterAkaUncapped.jpg

Special Nakaya:

Long Cigar Ascending Dragon in Aka Tamenuri

Long Cigar Ascending Dragon in Heki Tamenuri

Long Cigar Golden Hawk in Kuro Tamenuri

Nakaya Dorsal Fin Version II Kanshitsu powder (silver)

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/special_orders/LongCigarAscendingDragonAkaUnCapped.jpg

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/special_orders/LongAscendingDragonHekiUnCapped.jpg

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/special_orders/LongCigarKurotamenuriHawk_UnCapped.jpg

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Nakaya%20Pens/DorsalFins/GreyDorsalFinCapped.jpg

Which combination of two of those pens would you chose knowing that those are your first urushi pens and that one of the two has to be from the Classic category (the second one can be from either category)

Cheers,

Cedric

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schadowrider

• AltecGreen

• Sleepow

• ethernautrix

I must say I prefer the lean, clean lines of the clipless Aka Tamenuri :) As for the 2nd category, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those 3 choices. puddle.gif

Tamara

There is something about the kuro-tamenuri combination of red and black that makes it such a sensual pen (if that's even possible). My lotus maki-e with kuro-tamenuri urushi just arrived a while ago and the hint of blossoming red along the edges against the glossy black is just spectacular. So i'd definitely recommend a kuro-tamenuri urushi pen. I'm not too familiar with the other ranges from the special category to provide adequate comments but i do like the kanshitsu powder dorsal fin one.

Well, that's just my two-cents worth. :) Good luck with the decision making Cedric.

My 2 cents...

- Long Cigar in Aka Tamenuri

- Nakaya Dorsal Fin Version II Kanshitsu powder

I agree with IWantThat regarding the classic shape/style of the Aka-Tamenuri, but I don't necessarily see why you would want to duplicate that shape/style in your second choice. Therefore, I'd go for the Dorsal Fin to have an example of a completely different urushi pen. (Alternatively, I'd choose 2 from the second category...)

That said, if you decide that either of the Nakaya pens don't live up to your expectations, you can always send them to me! ;)

If you are thinking about a duo, I would get a long cigar in kuro tamenuri finish, and a neo standard in aka tamenuri. I have two long cigar ones, one in kuro tamenuri and one in aka tamenuri and they complement each other nicely. Moreover, you could think of having one pen with a, say, flexible broad nib, and the other with a regular medium nib, that would give you options both in outside appearance and writing pleasure! This may not be one choice from either category, but are my preferences indeed. Ruud

First of all, I LIKE HOW YOU THINK!

Not just one Nakaya, get two! Yes!

Get three!

Okay, well... here's my suggestion, keeping in mind that I love the heki-tamenuri.

Get the Neo Standard Writer in heki-tamenuri. The clip gives the under-color a little more play.

As for the Special category, I would go with the Ascending Dragon in aka-tamenuri.

But these are my aesthetics. Yours might differ.

Right now, I'm struggling over whether or not to order a Desk Pen Negoro-style (like the Piccolo-size one I ordered a year ago, in shiro tame) in heki-tamenuri. I know I want it. I don't know why I'm hesitating. I mean, outside of the whole paying for it part.

I just ordered two Piccolos, so the Nakaya Shield is up. I don't know if the Nakaya Shield is effective against Nakaya. I'll find out.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I just ordered two Piccolos, so the Nakaya Shield is up. I don't know if the Nakaya Shield is effective against Nakaya. I'll find out.

If I recall correctly, I do think the Nakaya Shield is effective against Nakaya, but not against a attack on the Shield Generator Station that is assisted by Ewoks. ;)

Get the Neo Standard Writer in heki-tamenuri. The clip gives the under-color a little more play.

As for the Special category, I would go with the Ascending Dragon in aka-tamenuri.

I second these choices, but would be inclined to reverse the color scheme (Neo Standard in Aka-tamenuri and Ascending Dragon in heki-tamenuri). The Neo Standard is a very pleasant shape in the hand, both to hold and behold (especially if you like an elongated grip).

ETA: the tamenuri under-color will also be a bit more apparent in a Neo Standard than in a cigar.

Edited by Lady Spencerian

I can definitely tell you that none of these guys are your friends :P

If you buy 2 or however many you decide to buy, definitely buy a Heki. I have spent hours just gazing at it.

Good luck!

You cannot go wrong with any combination of those pens. My personal picks would be:

Neo standard Aka Tamenuri

Long Ascending dragaon in Heki Tamenuri

Hadn't paid much attention to these before other than checking out a lovely Aka-tamenuri piccolo at John's table at last year's Ohio Pen Show (a piccolo that I came real close to buying - and still have my eyes on!) -- but that ascending dragon is spectacular!! Please let us know what you decide!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I am still really puzzled.

Honestly, my favorite two are the Neo Standard and Ascending Dragon in Heki Tamenuri.

This is however a combination I do not want since both would have the same color.

One thing that might not have been clear in my post is that I do not necessarily have to get one pen from the special category; the only requirement was to have one from the classic category.

So right now I am thinking Neo Standard Heki Tame and Long Cigar Aka Tame (or Kuro...?).

The ascending dragon heki or dorsal fin could be for future purchases, which would also give me opportunities to see them in the flesh again in Japan.

Cheers,

Cedric

I have the heki-tame Ascending Dragon, and it is one of my very favorite pens. Ever. I also have and love the Dorsal Fin, but, if I had to pick just one, I would choose the Dragon hands down any day. I love the green undertones of the heki-tamenuri, and how the dragon artwork is gradually "ascending" over time with use (I noticed it getting brighter after about six months, and now, almost a year since that six month point, it is even moreso). I use it every day (it's been inked constantly since I got it, which is rare for me as I rotate through my pens regularly and almost never have the same pen in the rotation for more than a month). That regular use may also speed up and contribute to the brightening of the artwork; the pearl on the grip section is brightest, so that further contributes to my theory. Anyway, I love how it seems like the Dragon is a living, changing piece of art. There is a thread about the Dragon here; I posted some photos of my pen right after I got it toward the end of that thread.

Although I find the Long Cigar shape very, very comfortable (it is my favorite Nakaya size), I would be inclined to go for variety. So I would pick the Aka-tamenrui Neo Standard and the Heki-tamenuri Dragon. My second choice from your list would be the Heki-tamenuri Long Cigar (which isn't actually on your list, but I would have to get one pen in heki-tamenuri) and the silver Ishime Kanshitsu Dorsal Fin. My advice would be not to go with the Neo Standard and the Dorsal Fin if you want some variety, as their shapes are very, very similar.

All of that said, you really can't go wrong with any of these pens. Actually, you can't go wrong with any Nakaya. You just have to pick the combination that appeals to you most. All of us are going to give you different recommendations. Pick which ever pen makes your heart beat faster and think "I can't live without that one!" For me, it was the Dragon. For someone else, it's something completely different.

Edited by reprieve

I love the heki-tamenuri combination and would have at least one. So if it were me, I would choose one of the following combinations:

Pen 1 - Neo Standard in heki-tamenuri

Pen 2 - Golden hawk in kuro-tamenuri

or...

Pen 1 - Neo Standard in aka-tamenuri

Pen 2 - Ascending dragon in heki-tamenuri

Good luck!

Nakaya makes custom pens. Take advantage of that fact. There is not that much difference in price.

You can order pens in a colors never made before.

As an example.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3439/5840873877_35d3ee4b54_z.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/5840875515_2bec16b100_z.jpg

You can apply the tamenuri technique to different base colors. Nanohana Tamenuri anyone?

As for the Tame Sukashi pen, why not consider this version of the Ascending Dragon. The blue color has more meaning if one considers the dragon to be Seiryu.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Since I was not able to decide on the perfect combo, I decided to go with just the one pen I like the most, and see after that for a second one:

The Long Cigar Ascending Dragon in Heki tame

Thank you all for your advice; I think the majority of you liked the dragon which actually convinced me.

(initially I was planning to get the Neo Standard in Heki Tame)

Cheers,

Cedric

Since I was not able to decide on the perfect combo, I decided to go with just the one pen I like the most, and see after that for a second one:

The Long Cigar Ascending Dragon in Heki tame

Thank you all for your advice; I think the majority of you liked the dragon which actually convinced me.

(initially I was planning to get the Neo Standard in Heki Tame)

Cheers,

Cedric

I think "the pen I like the most" is always the best pen to buy. Nice choice.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I think you will be very happy with your choice, Cedric. It's a beautiful pen.

Ricky, that blue one, whoa!

I <3 Nakaya... *Sigh*

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.