#1 pvector

pvector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:35

How is the Parker Gel refill? Length of writing? Smooth? Smudges? Thanks for the info, parker regular refills are getting expensive for poor student like me.

#2 dennis_f

dennis_f

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:56

As it happens, I'm currently holding a parker black BP refill in my hand, and I have one each of the Parker Blue BP, Blue gel, and Black gel refill in pens right in front of me as I type this.

The gel refills tend to run out much sooner than the ballpoint refills. In the amount of time that I go through one ballpoint refill, I'll go through 3 or 4 of the gel refills... so if you're looking to save money, the BP refills are more economical.

As for line quality: I haven't tried the .5 (fine) gel refills, but the medium refills (.7) are a bit smudgy... though this is typical for a gel refill.

And colour: the blue gel refill matches the blue BP and blue RB fairly closely. It's a bit more saturated, and therefore appears darker.

The black gel refill is a true black unlike the BP refill which appears more grey, and the BP is glossier when dry. However, the BP refill has a bit more shading to the line, whereas the black gel is solid. I find the BP refill is a bit easier on the eyes than the gel refill.

Hope this helps,
D.

#3 kaissa

kaissa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:02

How is the Parker Gel refill? Length of writing? Smooth? Smudges? Thanks for the info, parker regular refills are getting expensive for poor student like me.

Parker gel refills last for about 600 meters. A regular or the new QuinkFlow refill lasts for 3500 meters so they are more economical. QuinkFlow writes smoother than a regular refill and costs the same but nowhere near as smooth as a gel. Caran d'Ache's Goliath refills last for about 8000 meters which makes it the most economical. It is a smooth writer but less smooth than a QuinkFlow. I bought mine for $6,75 so not the cheapest to buy but cheapest in the long run.

Regards,
Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

#4 nxn96

nxn96

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2011 - 14:46

Over time, I've used many Parker bp, gel and rollerball refills, and have found the gels to be the overall best in terms of writing quality. As others have noted, the gel refills run out much faster than do the bp refills, but seem to last longer than do the rollerball refills (and don't have the "blop" on the paper that rollerball refills often do).

While I think the Parker gel refills are pretty good, I wouldn't say they're the reason to buy a Parker over another type of gelpen. I use them because I like Parker pens and happen to have a number of vintage Jotters, various cap-actuated pens and some of the newer "twist" pens. What I've actually had the best luck with is using an Inoxcrom refill in a Parker; both the "standard" and gel ink refills. I've found them to be very smooth writers that seem to last longer than do the Parker refills themselves.

Hope this helps.

PS: I realize the rollerball refills don't fit into a ballpoint pen, but am just citing my experience with it as a point of comparison.

#5 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2011 - 16:43

I like the Parker gel refills in terms of reliability and performance, but G2-style gel refills are just as good and seem to last significantly longer. Of course G2 refills are not compatible with pens designed for Parker refills.
Regards,

Ray

#6 trickster

trickster

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2011 - 20:45

What's the black Quinkflow like? Is it nice and dark, and do you still get the blobs?

My favourite Parker-style refill is the Pentel KFLT8 -- medium nib, smooth as silk, does not make holes in lousy paper.

#7 Julio

Julio

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:06

Look at the Monteverde Parker style refills. More colors, more options.

#8 pvector

pvector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2011 - 23:10

thank you all for weighing in, I have considered the monteverde, but they only came in blue last time i was in the store, this store has them in blister pack and without the blister pack which is cheaper, but i cant find myself trusting this store with buying unpacked goods. This store in question is Montgomery Pens in NY, and sell most of their stock unpackaged. I have been considering the switch to a lamy edc bp, as the refill lasts 8000m as well, but their refill is more expensive. In my experience, parker refills have a tendency to start fading at a certain point even though its not empty. I have the gel refills that are in package with some new ss jotters, but have not tried them as well. Thanks again.

#9 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2011 - 23:30

good refills

awful greasy though when you open up the pen

#10 pvector

pvector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:11

good refills

lamy?

#11 rminj

rminj

almost giving up on ballpoints

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 22:20

I really like the dark blue color and smoothness of the blue gel refills. I use them in my Parker and Parker compatible
pens.

They do run out much much soone than a regular ink Parker. I consider this the cost of the writing with a gel and putting ink on the paper (instead of leaving it the refill and pressing harder and harder to get it on the paper).

The only other thing I dislike about the Parker blue gel is it very un-waterproof. It seems to smudge with the slightest
water.

For non-gel I prefer the regular Parker broad blue. I have not tired the Quink-Flow yet. My larger local store (Staples) has re-stock their refill stand with the regular refills..not Quink-flow. The gels are there also and remain the easiest gel refills to come buy.

#12 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:34

I love the .7 blue gel refill. But it's so NOT waterproof :(. Anyone know of a color with same properties but a bit more resistant to water??

#13 KarloT

KarloT

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2011 - 17:26

Have not tested water resistance of the Parker gels but I like the color. It is close to PR American Blue or Noodler's Blue Eel, both very nice shades.

I still keep a Jotter handy in case I run out of ink or someone needs to borrow a pen. So far, everyone who's used the Jotter likes the writing feel of the gel cartridge.

The ballpoint refills on the other hand, I can live without.
My heart says Italian. My hand reaches for Japanese.

And All Other Tasks

#14 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2011 - 20:34

good refills

lamy?

varies among pens, haven't used a lamy rollerball for the parker gel refill

#15 PaperDarts

PaperDarts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:42

I agree about the Parker gel refills not lasting as long as a ballpoint - but the writing experience is so superior, in my opinion, that they're worth it. I use the black refills - a very satisfying dark black. Incidentally, the refills do fit more pens than Parkers. I used them in a Pelikan ballpoint pen for years.
"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

#16 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2011 - 14:27

a ballpoint is a ballpoint

a roller ball is a roller ball

a fountain pen is a fountain pen

why are people insisting on comparing the 3 in ways such as the amount of ink lasting in a fill?

#17 rminj

rminj

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 00:44

why are people insisting on comparing the 3 in ways such as the amount of ink lasting in a fill?

I was interested in the thread but am not complaining about how long they last..the ink actually goes
on the paper instead of staying in the refill/pen.

I was complaining about the Parker blue Gels not being water resistant in the least. I don't need waterproof but
really some resistance would be nice. In that regard the blue Cross selectip Gel is vastly more water resistant
while being a near match in color and writing experience to the Parker blue Gel (perhaps better) I have a Cross Edge and its a great writing experience... the pen is no where near as durable as any of my Parker compatible pens though.

Any suggestions for a more water resistant Parker type Gel refill would be great.

#18 pvector

pvector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:30

i have no idea whats going on in this thread, ive started it with the intention of finding out how long a parker refill last, like how lamy claims their refill last 8000m, was just curious about the length of parker refills

#19 rminj

rminj

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 21:09

I apologize for hijacking the thread in anyway...In that regard I have no idea how many meters my refills write.

I use the Parker Gel refills and only do occasional writing.. The refill can last me 1 to 1.5 months.

I use the Parker Regular ballpoint ink refill. I can get a good 3-4 months out of it. It is not as good of a writing
experience as a Gel but is much much better than say a Cross ballpoint.

I have not tried the Parker Quink Flow regular ballpoint ink yet.

I don't find the regular ballpoint ink to smudge at all..it is water resistant or archival. The Parker Gel dries fast and does not smudge; but the slightest amount of water will smudge it.

#20 pvector

pvector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:19

french refill exploded, theres a gap between, these seem unreliable

#21 Anthony P

Anthony P

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:55

Tried Parker Gel and found that it skipped a lot, and when it didn't skip, it would show through the paper more so than wet FP inks (i.e. Noodler's).

For pocket pens I just have a Parker Jotter with a blue Inoxcrom refill, which looks somewhat like Pilot BP ink, and a Caran D'Ache Metal-X with the Goliath. I don't like Fisher Space or ordinary BP Quink either.

#22 rminj

rminj

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:21

Tried Parker Gel and found that it skipped a lot, and when it didn't skip, it would show through the paper more so than wet FP inks (i.e. Noodler's).

For pocket pens I just have a Parker Jotter with a blue Inoxcrom refill, which looks somewhat like Pilot BP ink, and a Caran D'Ache Metal-X with the Goliath. I don't like Fisher Space or ordinary BP Quink either.

Thanks...I've recently been using the Schmidt Easyflow 9000 blue refill...The Easyflow 9000 seemed to put more ink on the paper and require
less pressure than any of the regular ballpoint refills I tried (including Parker's similar Quink flow) ..not as smooth or easy to write with as the Parker Gel..but its a smooth ballpoint ink that is waterproof. The Parker Gel and probably other Gels still give a more fountain pen like experience.