Lamy Blue-Black Reformulation --> Eta?

Mousa

I was going to buy some of the Lamy BB but I didn't know it was iron-gall! I have a Sheaffer 100, my first fountain pen, and I want to stay away from iron-gall inks to be on the safe side with regards to maintenance, etc. (don't want to ruin my pen accidentally).

(As an aside, does anyone know if using the current Lamy BB in a Sheaffer 100 fine nib feels scratchy/sand-papery?)

I read the thread about Lamy's plan to change their bottled BB ink so it is non-iron-gall. There was no mention of when this would be happening. Does anyone know when this will be happening (and maybe a slim chance of someone knowing when North America would be getting it)?

Edited by Mousa

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mousa

• The Good Captain

• MrsGouletPens

• Gneezo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to buy some of the Lamy BB but I didn't know it was iron-gall! I have a Sheaffer 100, my first fountain pen, and I want to stay away from iron-gall inks to be on the safe side with regards to maintenance, etc. (don't want to ruin my pen accidentally).

(As an aside, does anyone know if using the current Lamy BB in a Sheaffer 100 fine nib feels scratchy/sand-papery?)

I read the thread about Lamy's plan to change their bottled BB ink so it is non-iron-gall. There was no mention of when this would be happening. Does anyone know when this will be happening (and maybe a slim chance of someone knowing when North America would be getting it)?

Our Lamy USA sales rep says they have had NO knowledge of any changes to Lamy Blue-Black, so I'm guessing not for a while (if even at all). They had previously told us it was not iron-gall in the first place, but they also didn't really seem to know for sure, LOL. So I don't know what to think! :headsmack:

Our Lamy USA sales rep says they have had NO knowledge of any changes to Lamy Blue-Black, so I'm guessing not for a while (if even at all). They had previously told us it was not iron-gall in the first place, but they also didn't really seem to know for sure, LOL. So I don't know what to think! :headsmack:

Is that so? well okay then! As far as iron-gall goes, the consensus of the threads on FP Network say that Lamy BB does indeed contain iron-gall. It's interesting that the pen shops or reps don't know/aren't privy to this information (the ones that I have called, anyways). As a customer, I think it's quite useful to know.

I was going to wait for the non-iron-gall Lamy BB, but maybe I should just get the current iron-gall one and try to take really good care of my pen so it doesn't get damaged by the iron-gall...

As far as I know, the Lamy iron-gall 'version' is fine in modern pens with only a little bit more washing out as part of a routine. Maybe every two-three fills and that's what I'd do with any ink anyway.

Diamine Registrar's Ink, a blue-black 'true' iron-gall composition, is a different kettle of fish altogether and although I've never used it (I have written with it) I'd say that every fill should have a wash-out beforehand.

Don't know if this is the case but it's what I'd do.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

As far as I know, the Lamy iron-gall 'version' is fine in modern pens with only a little bit more washing out as part of a routine. Maybe every two-three fills and that's what I'd do with any ink anyway.

Diamine Registrar's Ink, a blue-black 'true' iron-gall composition, is a different kettle of fish altogether and although I've never used it (I have written with it) I'd say that every fill should have a wash-out beforehand.

Don't know if this is the case but it's what I'd do.

Thank's for the advice! I didn't know that about Diamine Registrar's Ink!

If you want a lamy blue-black but don't want it to be iron gall, then just buy blue and black ink in either bottles or cartridges. Then, mix the ink until you get a good blue-black color and use an ink syringe to put in into the empty cartridge or in a converter. This is why I have done previously.

-gneezo

I am pretty sure that Lamy BB in cartridges is not iron gall and that the bottled ink is. I use bottled Lamy BB as my work / note taking ink. It does not bleed, is water proof, and ages to a nice dark black-blue-black. Yes it is a little dry and has poor lubrication, but its advantages outweigh its disadvantages.