#1 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2011 - 17:14

So far we have looked at three Sterling Silver fountain pens, the Montegrappa 80th Anniversary and large Privilege Deco and the Sheaffer Legacy. They are all medium to large pens, so now let's look at an example that is slimmer and lighter, weighing in as only 32 gm, the Waterman Gentleman Sterling Silver.

The time is the mid seventies and Waterman has introduced what will be their flagship pen until the introduction of the Man 100 about a decade later. Unlike the more angular and futuristic pens such as the CF series, the Concord and the DG line, this was a return to the fairly straight flat top models.

Here you can see a Gentleman in a wondrously deep burgundy lacquer (that unfortunately loses much of its depth and vibrancy under artificial lighting) next to the later Man 100 Opera.

Posted Image

But it is the Sterling Silver version that this reviews covers.

It came in pretty much the same box that all my relatively modern Waterman pens used, simple blue with a white lining.

Posted Image

Like the Sheaffer Legacy it is a snap on cap that holds and posts securely. Like the two Montegrappas it uses the International Standard cartridge or converter.

Posted Image

The ridged section is exceptionally easy to use over an extended period even though the section is quite slim. The nib is a classic 18K Waterman nib of the period, pretty stiff for writing through carbons and none of the flex found in so many of the vintage Waterman nibs.

Of the four pens discussed so far, it is about the longest and also by far the slimmest, despite that I still often find it gets into rotation. I imagine that it uses a little "deux chevaux" to sneak in under the regulations.

Posted Image

Edited by watch_art, 23 July 2011 - 00:56.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#2 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 18:18

Jar, I love silver pens - my only examples are silver-plated, but they are the prettiest I own. Your endowment of silver pens is simply beautiful.

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2011 - 19:11

Thanks for reviewing this pen. I had noticed this pen when someone (I think it was Barrie P.) was selling this on PT GB about a year back at a very attractive price. I love the way the ridged section enters under the section trim ring and the way the nib exits, the almost flareless straight sided nib reminds me of the dip pen that I was fond of using for school homework: Mehra Leonardt "Office pen".

#4 vickiehof

vickiehof

Counting My Blessings

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2011 - 22:51

I bought one of these from a FPN member last year. It's a very dependable writer and is always in my rotation. All of my various models of Watermans (from cheap to antique) are a joy to use.

#5 lowks

lowks

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:26

I have a waterman laureat and for some reason I really love writing with it. Wish it spotted a oblique nib though.

#6 Inkwisitor

Inkwisitor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2011 - 14:43

This has been a great series of reviews - thank you!
"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

#7 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 16,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2011 - 15:39

This has been a great series of reviews - thank you!

Thank you. Only a few more to cover.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

#8 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2011 - 16:41

[/quote]

[/quote]

:puddle: can't wait to hear about them.

#9 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 16,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2011 - 16:46

It may be awhile. Temperatures out in Cafe Caffè have been up in the 100s for the last week or so and not even the doggies think that is nice.

#10 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2011 - 17:09

It may be awhile. Temperatures out in Cafe Caffè have been up in the 100s for the last week or so and not even the doggies think that is nice.

will wait patiently then. stay cool. we are getting similar weather in my neck of the woods.