Platinum: Mix Free

Inka

This is my second review of the 9 inks that come in a Platinum Mix Free mixing kit, this one is Aqua Blue. As stated in my hand-written review, Aqua Blue reminded me almost immediately of the color of Pelikan 4001 bottled Turquoise, at least as far as color goes, although perhaps a hair lighter in contrast. As for performance, I still have some Pelikan Turquoise and was able to do a side-by-side comparison, they are definitely not the same. I've always liked the color of Pelikan Turquoise but never cared for how dry it felt to write with from certain pens and/ or nibs. There's a definite tactile different felt when trying these two side-by-side, the Platinum Mix Free Aqua Blue not only flows more freely from nib to page it is also smoother feeling. It's not quite lubricating, yet it's far from being dry.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/PlatinumAquaBlue.jpg

As for water-resistance, it's not even close. I did my usual wash-test using HOT running water until the page is soaked and 80%-90% of the ink flush away almost immediately upon getting wet. There's not enough visible writing left to make out even a quarter of what was written and even that's hard to see, not surprising to me as most turquoise-colored inks I've tested do the same. Living in a humid area I was still hoping that this new turquoise-colored ink could have survived the initial water-washing, as more and more these days I'm using permanent to near-permanent inks over others. Sadly that's just not the case, it's not even close to being water-resistant. The humidity in Florida is usually above 50% even indoors, often climbing to 90%+ outside and hovering there for days, so all too often just the side of my hand can be damp enough to smear non-water-resistant inks despite being fully dried on the page.

If you like Pelikan 4001 Turquoise but don't care for how dry it writes, then Platinum Mix Free Aqua Blue could be just the ticket! While I did see some shading while writing this review the copy paper I'd used drank up the wet edges and so little shading remained once dry. As mentioned in the review, however, when used on Rhodia Dot paper with a Broad Relief nib the shading remains, the edges of lines don't get absorbed into Rhodia giving them time to dry in a nice gradient. For the turquoise-lovers out there this is a very well behaved ink, the color is a lot like the blue of Arizona turquoise stones I've seen and have grown to love.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• WOBentley

• JefferyS

Here's the Aqua Blue wash-test, as promised, minus the chemical washing seeing as water was enough to wipe it out...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/PlatinumAquaBlueWashTest.jpg

At least you can see where it was trying to shade on the copy paper when dry, as this is an enlargement.

On Rhodia, Black n' Red, Clairefontaine or similar vellum-like paper types Aqua Blue actually shades beautifully!

MODIFIED; due to having paper reversed, couldn't read the washed text!

Oops!

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

Thanks, nice review on an interesting series of inks!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Thanks, nice review on an interesting series of inks!

Thank you, for your recognition, it's good to hear when someone takes a liking!

As long as there's even one person as yourself that finds some good in the work I do, I will continue to do so.

I've just today finished writing a new review of my next ink in the Platinum Mix Free series of inks, this time it's PMF Aurora Blue.

I hope you find it as enjoyable as you have this review.

More to come, ASAP!

All my best;

~Inka~

Scott

Pleeeeese work on a Binder Burgundy kind of mix.  The only thing that has kept me from diving into the Platinum system is that there seems to be no way to get the mixing chart in a high quality pdf or jpg on the net. I was really hoping for something from Platinum like a computer program where one could choose a shade and get the recipe for making it. Fountain pen ink is low-tech in this regard.

Edited by Jeffery Smith

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

... there seems to be no way to get the mixing chart in a high quality pdf or jpg on the net. I was really hoping for something from Platinum like a computer program where one could choose a shade and get the recipe for making it. Fountain pen ink is low-tech in this regard.

That's what surprised me, the kit comes with this tiny fold-out color chart that could fit inside a matchbox!

When I went to the Platinum ink Website to find a better chart, I did find a larger one seen here but it's blurry when copied and printed...

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/mixfree/e_mixfree04.jpg

I do like the way the original colors are blackballed and ink-name-initialed going diagonally, making it a good 1:1 ratio chart.

Even when enlarged, this chart would be useless if I didn't already know the ink names, as I [CAN'T] make them out clearly when printed.

Looks like I'll have to keep a mixing journal if I plan on repeating mixes I want or to avoid those I don't like, already planned on that.

A computer program sounds like a great idea, I took classes in Excel but that was so many years ago I don't remember how to use it now.

Edited by Inka