Sheaffer Legacy Plain Sterling Silver Stub.

jar

This story actually starts back in 1959, the year that Sheaffer introduced it "PFM" (Pens for Men) line. The PFM was a departure from the trends of the late forties and fifties towards longer thinner pens and a return to relatively fat pens. It also included the first really new nib type since Sheaffer introduced the wrap around Triumph nib that had been introduced back in 1942, an inlaid nib unlike anything on any pen before it.

The PFM was the flagship model for Sheaffer at a time when Sheaffer simply dominated the world wide fountain pen market and was made for ten year, 1959-1968.

Twenty seven years later Sheaffer reintroduced the look in their Legacy Series pens. Around 1998 Sheaffer issued some of the Legacy pens in Sterling Silver in several patterns including a polished plain Sterling Silver with a Vermeil cap band and 25K 23K plated clip. There were about 200 pens made in the plain finish and here is one of those.

http://www.fototime.com/F2647CA42973FA9/standard.jpg

This pen is fitted with a broad stub nib, and no one did stub nibs better than Sheaffer. It is very smooth, very controllable, utterly reliable, and lays down a moderately wet line that has lots of expression.

Here you can see the unique Sheaffer inlaid nib.

http://www.fototime.com/7A8488A415B5959/standard.jpg

The Sheaffer Legacy is a moderately heavy pen weighing in at 40.2 grams filled and so lighter than either of the Montegrappas reviewed above. It is also midway between them in size.

http://www.fototime.com/1D74C1F5811B36B/standard.jpg

Of all my pens this has to be one of my very favorites, one that simply is a joy to use.

edited for appalin spallin

Edited by jar

My Website

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• reprieve

• Yuki Onitsura

• akrishna59

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review Jar. What was your reaction when you saw the PFM for the first time? did you buy it immediately? the pen was a commercial failure from the accounts that I have read.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice review Jar. What was your reaction when you saw the PFM for the first time? did you buy it immediately? the pen was a commercial failure from the accounts that I have read.

I liked it, but was poor and so bought a Lifetime instead. I think I still have that one around here somewhere.

My Website

Broad stub! Oooo Ahhh! notworthy1.gif Oooo Ahhh!

Nice pen ya' got there. I love some of the old factory stubs. My very recently purchased Parker Vacumatic w/ factory BB stub is lovely... cloud9.gif

Regards,

777 - Tyler Dahl

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Jar - another very nice review and another pen that I would love to own one day. You are a badgood influence with the Duponts, YOLs, ...

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

Jar - another very nice review and another pen that I would love to own one day. You are a badgood influence with the Duponts, YOLs, ...

Thanks?

From the little I have been able to learn about these pens, the plain bright Sterling Silver Legacies were excess or overrun pens from the run Sheaffer made for Classic Pens.

My Website

Nice review but you have a typo in the third paragraph. You describe the pen as having

...a Vermeil cap band and 25K plated clip.
Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Nice review but you have a typo in the third paragraph. You describe the pen as having

...a Vermeil cap band and 25K plated clip.

Well, I try to give 110%.

My Website

Got one of these from Mauricio and it's simply an awesome pen. :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

This is one pen that I simply can't find ANY complaints or whouldshouldacouldas. It is about perfect.

My Website

Stunning pen and wonderful review.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Oh my god... the nib! The nib! *faints*

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Oh my god... the nib! The nib! *faints*

The Sheaffer factory stub nib is one of the nicest nibs I've ever written with. Period.

I bought two from Mauricio. :embarrassed_smile:

a beautiful pen indeed.

as for the fort madison nib and writing performance, nothing needs to be said.

will we ever return to the golden age of fountain pens? will a time come when the writing market is dominated by them again? :cloud9:

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Jar, thanks for providing those photos of your pen and writing. I like everything about that pen - beautiful styling, gorgeous inlaid nib, wonderful line variation. Alas, the wife will kill me if I spend that kind of dough on a pen, though.

Jar, thanks for providing those photos of your pen and writing. I like everything about that pen - beautiful styling, gorgeous inlaid nib, wonderful line variation. Alas, the wife will kill me if I spend that kind of dough on a pen, though.

While it might seem a little harsh, this pen might just be worth it. :bunny01:

My Website

fpn_1311175659__img_5171.jpg

GhostPlane & reprieve ... Thanks for your kind words!

This Sheaffer Legacy pen in sterling silver with the stub and also the broad nibs are in a league of their own. I absolutely adore mine ... and for those of you who know me, you know I usually gravitate towards vintage pens and that less than 5% of the pens in my personal collection were made after the 1960s. Here are a few more pictures of mine. Took those pictures a few weeks ago. Enjoy them!

fpn_1308999202__img_4532.jpg

fpn_1308999571__img_4501.jpg

fpn_1311176168__img_4873.jpg

The following four images are for the "Stub" nibs. The ink is Waterman South Sea Blue

fpn_1308998893__img_4647.jpg

fpn_1308998928__img_4649.jpg

fpn_1308998960__img_4650.jpg

fpn_1308998991__img_4651-1.jpg

The following two images are for the Broad Nib ... the ink used in that writing sample was Diamine Sepia

[/url]fpn_1311176349__img_4500.jpg

fpn_1309001271__img_4874.jpg

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net