Sheaffer Vac-Fill Packing Units

Sam119911

Recently I got a Sheaffer Vac-Fill that holds the ink in the barrel. I've read that the earliest had threaded packing units. How do you know if it's the earlier threaded type? I've tried heating and "knocking out" the unit, but to no avail. It won't budge.

Here's what the pen looks like. It looks like the earlier Balances, and doesn't have the smoothness as it tapers towards to the blind cap. It's more "sharp".

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af224/rhodons/201106250128.jpg

(Borrowing the eBay image of the pen)

So far I've removed the blind cap (the rod simply screws into it), removed the section and removed the plunger rod. The barrel still has good clarity.

Any ideas on removing the packing unit? Could this possibly be a threaded unit?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sam119911

• gweddig

• ashbridg

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is not a threaded unit, and may or may not come out... assume not if it hasn't moved. The best way to repair it is to drill from the inside to remove the packing material and replace it with an 0 ring and retaining washwer (sold by David Nishimura) Head gasket material should be 0.027" thick.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks Ron!

Good to know it's not threaded. Through heating and knocking out, how often does that method work?

using the drilling method, do I just need to drill through the hard end of the unit, and use a pick of sorts to remove the rubber rings and felt? Or do I drill through everything there and keep drilling until I'm close to the end of the unit?

Though I am a novice at this, I have done a few. I think the idea is to drill through the hard closure washer (though I am not sure it is really a washer) and pick out the packing material. David Nishimura's reference below gives more info on what drill bit size to use. Just to add, I found that the "washer" that I was hand drilling against was spinning, I finally figured out to carefully push it into the barrel with a pick through the blind cap hole. Much better advice can be found below.

I used a few resources for working on these:

• The posts at FPN under Repair.
  • David Nishimura's VintagePens.com: there is a specific page on the repair of "plunger fillers" and he has some parts for them. (while you are there look at the "Pen Repair Don'ts" section., I find something new every time I read it.)
  • Pen Repair by Marshall & Oldfield, an outstanding manual.

Edited to add: From what I understand knocking out the packing unit has a very small success rate.

Enjoy and keep us updated.

--greg

Edited by gweddig

Hi Greg,

I've done most other pens. Lever fillers, button fillers, Touchdowns, Snorkels, etc and have decided to step into the realm of more challenging repairs... the Sheaffer Vac-Fill!

I was hoping the packing unit could be simply punched out, but it looks like the drill method is the way to go. Sounds daunting...drilling? in a PEN? :blink:

I have David's page on "Plunger Filler Repair" open right now and having a thorough read.

I'll see what drill bits are in the shed, and see if I have a 1/4" as David says. I'll keep what you said in mind, about keeping the "washer" in place if it starts to spin.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes! (Hopefully well! :P)

Just to be clear I did not "keep the washer in place" with anything, I only have two hands. What I did, which may be totally wrong, was to put a pick through the back end of the barrel and carefully push the washer down into the barrel. Essentially "unseating" it from the packing unit. I only did this once I realized the drill method was just spinning the "washer".

This was on a Vac-Fill without the inner barrel which is what I believe you said you had.

Again there may be better ways but I found Mr. Nishimura's article very helpful, especially when it came to creating the insertion tool.

--greg

Yep, I have the one where the ink is held into the barrel.

I'm assuming the inner diameter of the packing unit is smaller than the inner diameter of the barrel? Am I right in thinking that the inner diameter of the packing unit is 1/4"?

I've gotten a bit confused since the diagram on Richard Binder's site shows it being the same as the barrel. Or is it just like that to demonstrate and not to scale?

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref/anatomy/vacfil/packing.jpg

Here's a diagram I've whipped up.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2163/unithn.jpg

It's sort of "exploded" with the closing disc/washer removed. Is this how it is?

So, what I do is this. I drill open that closing disc/washer, with a 1/4" drill bit. Then I clean out the old packing, and replace it with one of those rubber O-rings and then I seal it with one of those white ones, welded/cemented on with MEK, like this?

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7748/newunit.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase. Please keep this thread going. Though a mere bystander, I am loving it. Thanks.

A few comments about your diagrams,

I think Richard's illustration is correct in terms of the location of the packing retainer (what I was calling the washer) on the bottom of the packing unit. When I said, "I pushed it out through the barrel", I had to push hard enough to deform the washer packing retainer into the barrel. Again I used the drill bit by hand and actually taped most of the drill bit except the end to prevent damage to the inside of the barrel. I'm not sure if his image is to scale however it shows the general idea of what is going on.

Your bottom rendering regarding the placement of the white washer is also correct. I cannot address the actual interior diameter of the packing unit, but if you measure the outside diameter of the white washer you should be close. The ones I have are not handy at the moment. [i have them now, my ruler measures them at 1/4" (6.35mm)]

Now hopefully everything I have said here is correct.

--greg

Edited by gweddig

I saw this picture on David's website, on his filling instructions for "Plunger Fillers"

http://www.vintagepens.com/images/perm/SheafferPFsection.gif

(from vintagepens.com)

It shows the inner diameter of the packing unit to be smaller than that of the inner barrel diameter.

That, combined with your measurement of the white washer of 1/4", it must be 1/4" then.

I've gone through the drill bits in the shed (I hate going in there... spiders like it there), and found some various bits. I've taken them out, and some were worn so their measurements were missing, but I've found one and measured it on a ruler and it's 1/4" so I'll use that.

Our electric drill can turn really slowly, so I was thinking of using that to get through the retainer. I have a steady hand so it shouldn't be too hard. I'll do what you did and wrap some tape around the drill, except the tip, as to not damage the barrel if anything goes wrong.

Hi Scribblesoften,

I'll keep it open as long as I can and hopefully post the entire process here. Hopefully it could be of use to someone else who wants to work on a Vac-Fill. The idea of Vac-Fills has always interested me but I was too scared to take the plunge (pun intended :roflmho: )

I actually have another Vac coming from America. A golden brown striated, Triumph nibbed one! I can't wait!

My site's anatomy diagrams are not to scale. The smallest Vac-Fil barrel bore is approximately 9/64", and the bore of the packing unit is approximately 1/4". In order to clarify this difference, I've edited the image to show that the packing is smaller in diameter than the barrel bore.

Sam119911, please try to remember that my site, like every other site on the Web, is protected by copyright. I don't mind your using my images, but I do require that you ASK FIRST. :ninja:

Edited by Richard

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Thanks for that info Richard, I believe I'm all set to begin :D Thinking out it, these pens don't seem *that* hard to fix?

Sorry Richard :(, I'll remember next time to ask. May I still keep the one up I've already posted here?

The feed in my pen that offsets the plunger head seems to not be there, or has broken off. There's a bit sticking out so I guess it's broken off? Is that going to interfere much with the flow of ink from the barrel to the feed?

Sorry Richard :(, I'll remember next time to ask. May I still keep the one up I've already posted here?

Your wrist having been slapped, I'll relent and not send the Ninjas.

The feed in my pen that offsets the plunger head seems to not be there, or has broken off. There's a bit sticking out so I guess it's broken off? Is that going to interfere much with the flow of ink from the barrel to the feed?

Sheaffer found that the pens worked -- just not optimally -- without that center feed extension; they had sold WASP and VACUUM-FIL branded pens for a year or so without them. The extension definitely enhances reliability, and if you can replace the feed you should.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Feed tail, also see this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/196282-broken-center-feed/page__view__findpost__p__1987634__hl__%2Btail+%2Bfeed__fromsearch__1

--greg

[sNIP]

I'll be thankful for not having Ninjas steal into my house during the night :ninja: the warning has been heeded!

I've successfully drilled open the packing unit, and have removed the original packing!

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1452/packinggg.jpg

From left to right: Rubber washer that was closest to the end of the barrel, two felt rings, and another rubber washer.

The one on the right was really worn. See that black powder near the top left? That's some of that washer!

I've cleaned out the packing unit, and a number of days ago placed an order for new parts! Hopefully they won't take long to arrive. I can't wait to get this working. It'll be so cool watching the ink level rise in the barrel as it fills! :D

My pen will have to make do with the broken bit in the feed for now. We'll see how the pen goes when it's fixed.

Did you ever get a new one, Greg, or did you do without?

Edited by Sam119911

My pen will have to make do with the broken bit in the feed for now. We'll see how the pen goes when it's fixed.

Here’s what the center-feed finger looks like. This one was snapped off and rattling around in the barrel when I got the pen. I think they break because the head gasket hardens from drying out. Then people mash the plunger rod down onto the finger using too much force.

http://ashbridg.com/vac/centerfeed_500.jpg

Of the four different rod-deflection systems in my Vac-Fils, the center-feed finger is the most exotic, but it’s also the most fragile, which is probably why Sheaffer replaced it. The photo shows how the tip of the feed finger is sloped. And it has a shoulder to guide and hold the rod-tip assembly against the barrel wall. Also, the finger has a channel cut along its length that serves as a secondary feed. You can see the blade marks where the Sheaffer technician shaped the finger. It’s an impressive piece of work on a very tiny part. Clever design and skilled craftsmanship are why I prefer this feed style. The added expense and breakable nature are why Sheaffer discontinued it. Trying to rebuild and re-fit these center feeds is a challenge, at least for me.

Ashby

Edited to add photo: The broken center-feed finger is tiny and hard to get a grip on.

http://ashbridg.com/vac/centerfeed_400.jpg

Edited by ashbridg

Carpe Stilo

Well done Sam119911, thanks for the photos.

I did not get a new one yet, I am keeping my eyes peeled for one that might fit and someday I will replace it. In the mean time it is marked as having a broken feed tail in my database in case selling it ever comes up. I had Noodler's Borealis Black in one of mine with no real ink feed problems but I pick up and set down the pen a lot. No prolonged vertical time so I suspect ink made it's way around the plunger just fine, though that may not be true of every ink. I just inked the other one I have with a broken tail and we'll see how it flows with the larger barrel diameter.

By the way ashbridg, I did try epoxying the center feed on my military clip version and as I suspected it didn't hold with even minimal lateral pressure from my finger. Luckily I didn't plug up the feed channel either.

--greg

Did you ever get a new one, Greg, or did you do without?

Edited by gweddig

By the way ashbridg, I did try epoxying the center feed on my military clip version and as I suspect it didn't hold with even minimal lateral pressure from my finger. Luckily I didn't plug up the feed channel either.

--greg

That's what Ron said. What did you end up using? I hate to buy a quart of methyl ethyl ketone when I just need three or four drops, enough for a couple of pens. All I can find is a quart. The stuff is not expensive, but it is dangerous.

Ashby

Carpe Stilo

I ended up leaving the tail off of my two for now, I have two small pieces in a baggie like the one on your finger. I hadn't heard that MEK would work on the feed material, can you point me to the link? I have a small bottle of Testors Plstic cement which, as I understand it. is primarily MEK.

I actually just picked up a vac-fill Tucky yesterday for $5, not sure what the feed looks like yet. (I also got two oversize balances, what looks like a Craftsman and my first Snorkel).

--greg

That's what Ron said. What did you end up using? I hate to buy a quart of methyl ethyl ketone when I just need three or four drops, enough for a couple of pens. All I can find is a quart. The stuff is not expensive, but it is dangerous.

Ashby

I ended up leaving the tail off of my two for now, I have two small pieces in a baggie like the one on your finger. I hadn't heard that MEK would work on the feed material, can you point me to the link? I have a small bottle of Testors Plstic cement which, as I understand it. is primarily MEK.

I actually just picked up a vac-fill Tucky yesterday for $5, not sure what the feed looks like yet. (I also got two oversize balances, what looks like a Craftsman and my first Snorkel).

--greg

Ashby

All the adhesives I hear about are just word of mouth. I'm using my pen without the tail because my guess is it's ebonite, and if so, I'm not convinced any glue will hold it. One option is to build a new feed finger and sink it in a hole drilled to size in the feed top. This method depends less on adhesive to stay in place. My feed finger is snapped off clean, as you can see in the photo. It's hard to believe anything will keep it in place. Until one of the pros tells me to glue it with something, I'll continue to wait.

Ashby

Carpe Stilo