Pilot Custom 823 Nib - Medium Vs. Broad

saskia_madding

When I was trying to buy my Custom 823s, I hunted high and low for comparative writing samples for medium and broad nibs with absolutely no luck. So, since I ended up buying both, I decided to do a comparison and hope that maybe it will help someone else choosing between two nibs.

Overall shot:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC08720.jpg?t=1309893270

Text:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC08723.jpg?t=1309893368

Lines:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC08726.jpg?t=1309893330

I think the difference is most noticeable in the below picture. Having used both now, I can definitely say that the broad one feels lusher and wetter, which is no surprise. What is a surprise is that it isn't noticeably smoother than the medium.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC08727.jpg?t=1309893401

I also took some pictures of comparisons with the broad and other pens:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/FPN%20comparison%20shots/DSC08728.jpg?t=1309893422

There are a few other pictures in the album I posted.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• Pen2009

• PenandDesign

• quinden

Thanks for the writing samples! They're always so helpful when making that all-important nib decision.

I noticed the first ink you used was Iroshizuku Momiji (one of my favorites)--and I love the other ink colors you used in your last comparison. Can you tell me which inks you used? I especially love the green and orange.

There is a slight difference between the two nibs. It's true the difference isn't huge, but it actually *feels* pretty huge when you're writing, and when you look at a full page of text.

In the last picture, the inks are as follows:

- Momiji in a freshly rinsed off nib (so it's watered down, it made a really nice pink colour!)

- J. Herbin, Larmes de Cassis

- Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

- De Atramentis Pine Green

- MB Season's Greetings 2005

- MB Gandhi Saffron

• 11 months later...

Great info. I am awaiting my Customs 823 B. I have a Customs 845 M. Both pens sport the #15 nib. But, I believe the 845's #15 is two tone color while the 823 isn't.

I had a hard time deciding on which nib I should get for my 823. I already have several F and M nib Pilots. So, I decided to go for a B. Mayben down the road, I might have it turned to a stub nib. But, I already have a 742 Stub. At least with a B nib, there are more grinding options than finer nibs.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I'm also expecting an 823 B in the mail, and this is super helpful - thanks!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

Thanks; this is awesome. I'm always looking for comparative line width samples on the same pen.

I have a Custom 823 F (currently disabled with a leak in the body from a tiny crack near the blind cap), and the difference between the line put down by my Custom 823 and my Pilot Vanishing Point M is huge. With my small handwriting, I actually have to focus on writing larger to make the M-nib legible. I've always avoided B-nibs because I was sure that'd just make the problem worse.

I'm stunned at the relatively minor difference between the M and B nib on the 823. If they hadn't been labeled and I hadn't been looking extra-close I probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. If someone had told me they were different sizes I would have probably guessed M and FM. Though I imagine the B nib's writing experience is much different: I expect the nib to be much wetter/smoother and to go through ink much faster.

What did you mean when you said you could see the difference clearly when looking at a full page of written text?

I got my 823! The broad has (as I was expecting) the line width of a western medium. I think I will have it stubbed - there's something about that line variation that is irresistible :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

So...how much smoother is the B, if I may ask?

My B nib on the 823 is very smooth. The line width is similar to the Palikan M nib.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Thanks for the tips Pen2009!! Hmm...I really would prefer this pen in just a bit wider width than an EF Lamy 2000. What nib should I pick, and would it be smooooth? I'm looking for the smoothest pen possible...as long as my budget allows it ;)

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign