America Limited Edition - My First Fpn Review

jaredpens

Hi Everybody! This is my first fountain pen review on here...I hope it is ok. I tried to follow the format from other members. :)

First Impression (9/10):

I was so impressed with the packaging of this pen. It is standard packaging for all Aurora limited editions, but the outer packaging with the American Flag seemed so patriotic! The box the pens are in reminded me of a denim jean and it was very unusual and cool. I have not seen a box like this before for a high quality pen.

Appearance & Design (9/10):

I am so happy to see a friend of the United States celebrating our rich history and qualities with this America limited edition. I think this is a pen any patriotic citizen of the usa would be proud to pull from their pocket. It is a basic design with red, white and blue blends only, but it is very powerful as it reminds the writer about America.

Construction and quality (10/10):

It is a resin multi-color swirl. The colors blend together so beautifully!

Dimensions (10/10):

Capped: 5.25”

Uncapped: 5”

Cap: 2.5”

Pen Posted: 6.25”

Nib & Performance (9/10):

18K Solid Gold…As always the Aurora nibs perform exceptionally. I have been writing with this pen for about a week now (unfortunately don’t have a writing sample as scanner is broken). It is soooooo smooth to write with. I love the 18K gold nib over the Aurora 14K nib. The flow of the ink is also very smooth. I elected for the medium nib, but I think my next Aurora pen I am going to go for the Fine. I find the medium nib to be a little too bold & wide for me lately.

Filling System & Maintenance (9/10):

This is a piston fill system with a clear window so you can always know your ink level. It is a standard for most Aurora limited editions.

Cost & Value (8/10):

The pen is slightly on the pricey side at $995 retail, but for me it is worth it. I liked the pen so much that I elected to purchase the 4 piece set (Fountain Pen, Rollerball, Ballpoint & Sketch Pencil). It is worth every penny to show off American pride made by our friends in Italy.

Packaging (9/10):

The packaging was very nice and the out box was great. I wish the box the pens were in had a red, white and blue design as well.

Conclusion/Final Thoughts (9/10):

Overall this is a great pen. It is slowly becoming my everyday pen of choice. For the past couple of years I have been writing with a Montblanc 149, but since I purchased this pen, I am writing with America more and more and am going to swap this with the Montblanc to make the Aurora America my daily writing instrument. It is a beautiful pen, but for me it is more the meaning behind the pen than how great it writes.

Some pictures I took w/ my Canon T2i camera:

post-72770-0-38503500-1309439363.jpg

post-72770-0-31414600-1309439370.jpg

post-72770-0-30347800-1309439380.jpg

post-72770-0-90592000-1309439392.jpg

post-72770-0-71272300-1309439403.jpg

post-72770-0-17579600-1309439414.jpg

post-72770-0-12241000-1309439424.jpg

post-72770-0-25256600-1309439438.jpg

post-72770-0-32190100-1309439448.jpg

post-72770-0-30223200-1309439457.jpg

post-72770-0-55352100-1309439466.jpg

post-72770-0-54157700-1309439475.jpg

post-72770-0-41196500-1309439483.jpg

post-72770-0-86474200-1309439489.jpg

Currently Inked:

Montegrappa Extra 1930 Bamboo Black, Fine Nib, Aurora Black Ink

Aurora America Limited Edition, Fine Nib, Aurora Black Ink

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaredpens

• jandrese

• Yuki Onitsura

• SHK

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Jared. Great pictures and a great review. That is one beautiful pen!

He came down from heaven and was made man.

fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since May 15th, 2011

Congratulations on the gorgeous pen! Great review and some nice photos to boot =)

One question: what's the weight of the pen like?

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

thanks for the comments.

I didn't weigh the pen, but...i would say it is on par, but a tad lighter than a 149.

Currently Inked:

Thanks for sharing, good first review. Seems like I've seen that material before....looks a lot like my Taccia Staccato Starry Night. So is this pen about the USA or the America's in general? The clip seems to have a map of the America's but other elements suggest only USA. Considering the other pens in the series are Asia, Europe, and Africa it would not fit the pattern to focus on one country.

Very interesting thought...I am not sure either, because their material does say American Continent, but also mentions about the pens colors representing the American Flag. Most of the details on the cap do seem to relate to America (USA), but the clip has the Continent engraved on it.

Thanks for sharing, good first review. Seems like I've seen that material before....looks a lot like my Taccia Staccato Starry Night. So is this pen about the USA or the America's in general? The clip seems to have a map of the America's but other elements suggest only USA. Considering the other pens in the series are Asia, Europe, and Africa it would not fit the pattern to focus on one country.

Currently Inked:

Looks like some of the designs on the cap band are from Nazca in Peru?

I really appreciate you putting the measuring tape alongside :thumbup:

Looks like some of the designs on the cap band are from Nazca in Peru?

I really appreciate you putting the measuring tape alongside :thumbup:

Ghost Plane, I thought the exact same thing while looking at the hummingbird. An interesting cap band for sure.

Now that you mentioned it, based on the band, it would seem the pen is also oriented as a celebration of the continent and not just the USA.

Currently Inked:

that is a great first review of a pen that is so nice. i wonder whether americans on this forum are falling over themselves to buy / own this pen. probably mr. obama can sport this pen.

imagine a meeting of all world leaders sporting pens made to honour their countries / heritage / themes, as there are a lot of pens around on these kind of themes. :cloud9:

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Nice review. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Now that you mentioned it, based on the band, it would seem the pen is also oriented as a celebration of the continent and not just the USA.

The first ads/ marketing material I read for this pen indicated specifically it was for the continent, just as the Africa and Asia LEs were.

Wasn't the Pelikan Piccadilly Circus made out of this material?

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

The grip section of Aurora Asia LE is matte red, Afrika matte black, Europa glossy black. Is the one on America LE the same as Europa? I thought aurora will put different grip sections for each continent... The barrel and cap remind me of Pelikan Picadilly Circus too.