Noodler's Nikita

RookSeven

Here's a review of Noodler's Nikita. My scanner isn't very good so the color isn't quite right, but I also took a picture of the title page with my camera (might give a slightly better result for some people I guess).

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/moneyless27/Ink%20Reviews/noodlers-nikita-1-small.jpg

(Pictures of this page taken with my actual camera are here and here, for comparison.

A very nice "true red" color. Like others have said, it is like a fire engine red. Would be good for grading or editing since it stands out on white paper. Compared to Sheaffer Skrip Red (Slovenia), it seems ever so slightly pinkish. (And I mean SLIGHTLY.) Dries fairly quickly, although I did find that as with most inks it took more time to dry on the 80g Rhodia compared to the 28lb/105g HP Laser and 20lb "bought by the boatload" office copier paper. Flowed well, with good lubrication. Never had trouble starting in my Lamy Vista with an F nib. No feathering or bleedthrough, even on cheap 20lb office copier paper. Seems waterproof to a certain extent, after having been run under running water for about a minute you can still easily see what was written. Not sure if it's rated as "Bulletproof," though.

As with all Noodler's Inks, nib creep was quite bad, at least in my opinion... Although I found the rich red on the shiny Lamy steel nib actually looked a little nice. Someone at the office almost though I stabbed myself or something haha. (I guess they don't know real blood turns brownish a while after drying.) Not sure if there's been any staining to the nib since I haven't cleaned the pen yet, but I wouldn't think so. I don't think there was any clogging either, from what I can see the Vista's feed and such looks fine? It will smudge a bit shortly after having dried if you run a sweaty finger across it with a little force, although I think that's normal for most inks. 24+ hours later it does not smudge at all. It is highly saturated.

A great ink for sure if you like red reds (I do). Not sure if I like it better than Sheaffer Skrip Red though — of which I already have a full bottle. I like journaling with it anyway, since RED! reds tend to "pop." Another wonderful Noodler's Ink in my opinion. :)

Onto the pics!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/moneyless27/Ink%20Reviews/noodlers-nikita-3-smaller.jpg

(Click picture for larger version — 2000px tall as opposed to 1000.)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/moneyless27/Ink%20Reviews/noodlers-nikita-2-small.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/moneyless27/Ink%20Reviews/noodlers-nikita-4-small.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my review of this great ink. :)

Disclaimer: My scanner blows — scans are unedited apart from cropping, resizing, and rotating.

http://i.imgur.com/05HpL.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ifi8V.png

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidB

• asdf

• RookSeven

• Ruminator

Nicely done! Thanks and now I want a red ink and a new pen to Put it in...

If you buy the 4.5oz eyedropper bottle it comes with a free Noodler's pen. :thumbup:

This is my favorite red ink, the only one I still use. :puddle: I use A LOT of this ink, probably an ounce or a tad more per year (mind you that this is with 4 - 5 pens inked with different colors, but this color gets used the most). Wanted to chime in with my 2 cents.

1 - It is NOT bulletproof. It will resist a little splash, but UV light, bleach, even a long soak, and all evidence of this ink is GONE :crybaby:

2 - Your scans are a tad lighter than it looks on paper to me, but I think your description of the color and the properties are both spot on.

Regards,

Chris

Now if only Noodler's would make a refillable dry-erase marker, I would buy a lifetime supply....

I differ as to the "waterproofness" of this ink. My 1-year-old son pressed the button on my Pilot Decimo pen and extended the nib one Sunday at church, then proceeded to "stab" me with my pen! I can say that Nikita is a -very- resistant ink... I've been soaking and bleaching my shirt for a year, and it's still visible. Greatly faded, but still visible. While not "eternal" or "bulletproof", this is one tough-to-remove ink... and the color is so rich and saturated that it really -does- pop out at you. So, now I wear long ties rather than bow ties while I wait for this stain to fade out. It's a race between fading the color and wearing the shirt out at this point, and the ink is winning!

DavidB

Speech recognition software is not nearly as fun as breaking out a dip pen!

• 1 month later...

I love the ink and the eyedropper pen that comes with the bottle. It's a smooth writer, seems pretty sturdy, and has a clear body that allows one to see the ink inside (perhaps it's the novelty factor for me, but I particularly enjoy this feature).