Noodler's Polar Brown

Signum1

I have not tested anti-freeze property yet. I certainly like the dark saturated looks.

The Ink Review

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9274/scannedimage7z.jpg

The Water Test

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/669/img1266o.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Signum1

• doggonecarl

• ukobke

• iliadodyssey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received my Noodler's Polar Brown today. Unlike what you report about there being no feathering or bleedthrough, I'm seeing some.

Noticed you reviewed the Winter 2009 edition. I received the Winter 2011 edition. Could there be that much variation between formulations? It also appears to be a lighter brown.

Anyone else experiencing unexpected feathering and bleedthrough with their Polar Brown?

My understanding is that one of the raw material for the Polar Brown and #41 Brown has increased in price and Nathan decided to find a substitute for that raw material. Perhaps this may be the cause of your observations of bleedthrough and feathering. You forgot to mention the type of paper you were writing with. Perhaps the newly formulated Polar Brown (2011 Edition) don't behave well on copy paper (my assumption of the paper you used). Of course, you can custom order a 16 ounce bottle of Polar Brown and pay an extra cost for the original raw material used in the initial Polar Brown offering.

I have the old version of Polar Brown. That means many many problems. My pen was clogging :bonk: .

I sent an email to Noodler's. I received no answer . Very dissapointing.:crybaby:

After some months Nathan announced a reformulation for Polar Brown. Maybe that is what you have :rolleyes: .

Finally I solved the problem myself :eureka: . I diluted the ink with additional 33% distilled water. Now it works :clap1: .

Now I have to go to North Pole again to test :hmm1: my new Polar ink (added 33% water) if it freezes or not :sick:

Edited by ukobke

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

Thanks for replying, Signum1.

You forgot to mention the type of paper you were writing with.

When I first posted, I had only used the ink on one kind of paper and with a pen that's a bit of a wet writer.

I have since inked up one of my Sailors with a fine nib and have tried a number of different kinds of paper known to be fountain pen friendly. Only one kind, laser printer paper, even came close to providing fair results. This just reinforces my disappointment at this formulation. Frankly, it’s unusable.

I’m sure I’ll keep fussing with it, like a pen with a scratchy nib, thinking I can make it right. One thought that comes to mind is mixing it with another ink. I have a Visconti brown with zero permanence. Perhaps a mixture of the two…

Then again, if I’m smart I’ll just toss it in the trash and write this off as a lesson learned.

Finally I solved the problem myself :eureka: . I diluted the ink with additional 33% distilled water. Now it works.

Perhaps the reverse will work for the new formula of Polar Brown. If I could evaporate some of the water, create a denser, more saturated ink. But then, I'm not sure what property of the ink creates feathering, so I'm just guessing at a solution.

Finally I solved the problem myself :eureka: . I diluted the ink with additional 33% distilled water. Now it works.

Perhaps the reverse will work for the new formula of Polar Brown. If I could evaporate some of the water, create a denser, more saturated ink. But then, I'm not sure what property of the ink creates feathering, so I'm just guessing at a solution.

That's what I want to do with Libetaeba Noodler's ink. I want to evaporate water. I had the same problem with Polar Brown. Clogging. Unfortunately, I tested the ink with a new cheap pen. The ink started to flow when I added 50% water. Finally I realized that I had two problems. The nib of the pen AND the ink. Now I want to evaporate a 20% of water to make it more saturated....

Does anybody know how to do it? (Boil it maybe :embarrassed_smile: ?????????????????????)

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

• 8 years later...