The Ultimate Twsbi Review - Part 2!

This text has been copied over from my blog. The pictures for some reason don't show up right so if you'd like to see the picture version:

Head on over to my blog for the full review with pictures!

***********************************************************************************

Make sure you don't forget about the free give-away going on! Check it out here for a chance to win!

Today we're going to move on to part 2 of my ultimate TWSBI review! If you missed out on Part 1, go back and read it right now. It will help you better understand this part (#2) and all the other parts of this review.

For a quick recap I'll show what was reviewed in part 1.

Recap of Part 1:

• How did the TWSBI come about?
  • What is the TWSBI all about?
  • What exactly is the TWSBI Diamond 530?

Now we can move on to part 2 of the ultimate TWSBI review. In this part we'll be discussing some important elements of the pen design.. Some will be more interested in other aspects of the review but to me, looks are almost everything when it comes to buying a new pen. This applies even to the smallest details.

Part 2:

• Packaging
  • Presentation

As we dive into this, again keep in mind that I'll be ranking each aspect of the pen in two ways.

1. What the pen is in comparison to others in its price range
  2. What the pen could be

That being said lets now move on to the real meat of today's review. We'll begin with the first topic:

Packaging

The TWSBI, for its price range, easily has the most impressive packaging I've ever seen. When I got this pen in the mail and saw the presentation set-up I was thoroughly impressed by it! I was expecting something along the lines of a Lamy Safari - A simple cardboard box with tabs to hold the pen in. The TWSBI came in something much more professional, quality, and sophisticated then a simple cardboard box. Words will not describe it properly, which is why pictures are in order!

Here is the TWSBI outer box. It's a very simple yet nicely designed package. Stiff cardboard with the TWSBI logo in red on it. It also has a design-award sticker on it. I personally think the sticker detracts from the clean design of the box. Perhaps the bottom would be a better place for this...

Upon opening the box we are greeted with a piece of soft foam.

After removing the foam we see a slip of paper and a clear box containing the pen. The slip of paper was a recent addition due to people inserting the nibs into the section improperly when they were taking apart/re-assembling their pens.

Here's the pen in the box! We'll talk about the inner box more in the section on presentation.

When the inner-box is removed you see that their is a nice layer of foam all around to protect the pen.

Overall the TWSBI packaging is excellent! For the price range I'd rate this packaging at a solid 100/100! For what packaging could be, I'll still give it a 80/100. There is no other pen I'v ever seen in this price range with this kind of packaging. Everything from the solid foam inserts to the logo on the cardboard packaging smacks of quality and a pen 5 times as much has the TWSBI costs.

Presentation

I'll go into presentation as a separate thing from packaging. Presentation to me is how the pen presents itself to new owners. I consider the outer-box the packaging and the inner-box, containing the pen, the true presentation.

All I can say is this: show me another pen for $40.00 with this kind of presentation and I'll buy you a TWSBI! (joke...) But really, I've yet to find a pen for $200.00 that matches this ones presentation! Again, pictures are the only way to capture it properly.

Here is the inner-box. Its clear design goes very well with the look of the pen. It has won two awards (the two stickers on the box) for an excellent design. I must say, it's impressive so far, but it just gets better!

After removing the cover you are greeted by the pen itself, in all of its glory! I will give the lid to the box a hit: It's very loose and does not snap on at all. It just sits on top of the bottom piece. When you first get the pen it is taped together but once the tape is gone the box will not stay together.

The white plastic part removes from the bottom piece and a sheet containing filling instructions, how to disassemble/re-assemble, and a brief description of the pen is visible.

Check this out. This paper sheet tells how to take apart your own pen. Nice touch TWSBI! On the reverse side is the description of what the TWSBI is in English and Chinese.

Here's where I'll give you a real challenge. Show me a pen for under $300.00 that gives you the tools to take apart and service your own pen! What you see here is the inner white plastic piece flipped over. Inside it is a wrench for taking the pen apart and a bottle of silicone grease for the piston. I'll be using these to take apart the pen on camera in a later part of the review.

These tools are the final icing on the cake of this awesome presentation! I could hardly believe that you could get such a box/presentation from even a $100.00 pen. TWSBI completely blows other pen-makers out of the water with this extra-touch!

Lastly, here is the pen. It is held in by two plastic "clips" that slide upward to release the pen. I will give these "clips" or tabs a hit. They are just a bit annoying to remove when you want to take the pen out. I personally prefer a strap, where the pen just slides out as opposed to having to partially take apart the box to get to the pen. That being said they still work well and look very cool. On the back of the box you can see a computer-drawing of the pen and some text in Chinese.

Overall the TWSBI presentation is out-of-this-world for the price you're paying. Again for the price range - 100/100. For what it could be - 90/100.

I really like the box design. It's very industrial compared to the more "elegant" boxes of expensive pens (Pelikan, Pilot, Nakaya, etc.). I find this industrial look very appealing when combined with the TWSBI pen. The TWSBI Diamond 530 itself is an industrial pen so it would make sense for the case to be this way. My only improvements for the case would be:

• Make the lid snap on tightly. This would take it from an interesting display case to a portable fountain pen carrier. A simple modification like this would really step up the pen case...
  • Perhaps change the removable plastic tabs for holding the pen in. Though these are a cool design feature they can be somewhat, I emphasize somewhat bothersome to remove, take the pen out, and then replace them. It's not difficult but it takes two hands. Take for example the simple strap design used by most pen cases. It's easy to slip the pen out without removing pieces of the case. This is such a minor gripe though. I would hardly even consider it a flaw, just something that could be improved upon.

Both of those aside the box and case are superb and I think TWSBI has outdone themselves in the making of these elements of the pen.

That concludes this part of the ultimate TWSBI review! Stay tuned for the next part:

Part 3:

• Appearance and design

Part 3 is only going to have one topic for discussion because this topic is very important. How a pen looks is 50% of why I enjoy it. Here's a teaser photo for you!

Make sure to subscribe so you don't miss out on the next part of the review! Be sure to drop me a comment and give me your thoughts on part 2.

Regards,

777 - Tyler Dahl

Edited by 777

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djpyle

• FlatCactus

• dcpritch

... any comments ... unsure.gif

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the review.

:)

Edited by 777

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Probably the most in depth, detailed review with the best pictures of this particular pen.

I like that it has both objective and subjective opinions.

Great work.... when is part 3 due to arrive?

-John

Great review. And I completely agree with you: for the price of this pen, TWSBI really went all out with their packaging. The little clips that hold the pen in place don't bother me, but I agree that it would be nice if the top of the box snapped on. Or maybe opened on a hinge.

As for your pictures, did adding the image tags not work?

[img=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Hs9ZYKLjscM/TfpMLxMsPlI/AAAAAAAABTI/zSRYv3d9wwQ/s1600/DSC09678.JPG]

for instance, for the first picture in your review:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Hs9ZYKLjscM/TfpMLxMsPlI/AAAAAAAABTI/zSRYv3d9wwQ/s1600/DSC09678.JPG

Probably the most in depth, detailed review with the best pictures of this particular pen.

I like that it has both objective and subjective opinions.

Great work.... when is part 3 due to arrive?

-John

Thank you! I'm so glad you like it.

Part 3 is coming fairly soon. Probably in about 3-5 days. We'll see though. Proofreading all of this takes a lot of time... rolleyes.gif

It sure is fun to see the end results though! :D

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Great review. And I completely agree with you: for the price of this pen, TWSBI really went all out with their packaging. The little clips that hold the pen in place don't bother me, but I agree that it would be nice if the top of the box snapped on. Or maybe opened on a hinge.

As for your pictures, did adding the image tags not work?

[img=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Hs9ZYKLjscM/TfpMLxMsPlI/AAAAAAAABTI/zSRYv3d9wwQ/s1600/DSC09678.JPG]

for instance, for the first picture in your review:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Hs9ZYKLjscM/TfpMLxMsPlI/AAAAAAAABTI/zSRYv3d9wwQ/s1600/DSC09678.JPG

Thanks for the kind words on the review. It seems like everybody would like the lid so snap somehow. I hope speedy will change this in a future version...

As far as the pictures. I think that might work, what you suggested. My problem is that trying to reformat them into the review would take quite some time adding them individually like that. I wish I could just copy and paste them... glare.gif

Oh well. I'll try some things out and see what I get! wink.gif

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Great review, Tyler!

Question - did yours have a really tight piston? When I first got mine, the piston was frustratingly tight. It loosened up a little as I used it, but I just couldn't get used to that.

I bought a 1.1mm gold stub nib and replaced the steel M nib it came with, then had the gold nib smoothed by Pendleton Brown to his Butter~Line Stub specification - great writer and a cool look. Still, for me the pen just didn't do anything my Pelicans couldn't do, so I sold it last month.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Awesome review for an awesome pen!

your photos look great and make me want to order this pen!

I personally like how a person can take it apart and reassemble it.

CTF

Great review, Tyler!

Question - did yours have a really tight piston? When I first got mine, the piston was frustratingly tight. It loosened up a little as I used it, but I just couldn't get used to that.

I bought a 1.1mm gold stub nib and replaced the steel M nib it came with, then had the gold nib smoothed by Pendleton Brown to his Butter~Line Stub specification - great writer and a cool look. Still, for me the pen just didn't do anything my Pelicans couldn't do, so I sold it last month.

Hey David!

The piston was bit tight at first but after taking it apart and giving it some silicone grease it was perfect. Not as smooth as my M805 but perfectly acceptable.

I like mine cause' I can't afford a Pelikan M800 demonstrator. Plus, I think silver trim looks better than gold on demos. This is like a Pelikan M805 demo for $40.00! There's no such thing as an M805 demo though. At least I think...

Also, replacement nib units cost only $18.00! Compared to a Pelikans $150.00 +- nib units this pen is very appealing for me.

Of course, it's still not a match for my M805... cloud9.gif

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Awesome review for an awesome pen!

your photos look great and make me want to order this pen!

I personally like how a person can take it apart and reassemble it.

CTF

You should get one! They are fabulous pens.

I'm going to take mine apart on camera in part 4 of the review. You'll want to see that. - It shows how easy it is to do. It's a lot of fun being able to take it apart like that... :)

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Many thanks for your in depth review which I am following with great interest! I had ordered a TWSBI some months ago and I am very happy with it, as a matter of fact it is one of the pens I keep making use of regularly and is one of the pens I often use.

Many thanks for your in depth review which I am following with great interest! I had ordered a TWSBI some months ago and I am very happy with it, as a matter of fact it is one of the pens I keep making use of regularly and is one of the pens I often use.

You're most welcome for the review. It's a lot of fun to put it together and hear people are enjoying it. :)

The TWSBI has also stayed in my rotation now and I don't think it will ever leave. It's just a great workhorse pen!

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

The best TWSBI 530 review, in my opinion! Thank you!

One of the your pics shows the manual and how to disassemble the section. I think this picture is new on TWSBI 530 manual. I guess when people re-assemble in the wrong way, it has been causing many cracks on section. Probably, it's a warning to avoid section cracks.

Regards,

Fabricio

A brilliant review.

I own four TWSBI pens and I am over the moon with the quality of workmanship, in fact they are my new "best pens".

I've just signed up for your blog as I find your articles very interesting and informative so thanks everso much for that.

Keith E Bartlett

The best TWSBI 530 review, in my opinion! Thank you!

One of the your pics shows the manual and how to disassemble the section. I think this picture is new on TWSBI 530 manual. I guess when people re-assemble in the wrong way, it has been causing many cracks on section. Probably, it's a warning to avoid section cracks.

Regards,

Fabricio

Glad you like the review! Thanks for the kind words! :)

Yes, there is a new insert for the packaging. It was indeed because of people incorrectly inserting the feed/nib assembly into the section, and thus cracking it.

Regards,

A brilliant review.

I own four TWSBI pens and I am over the moon with the quality of workmanship, in fact they are my new "best pens".

I've just signed up for your blog as I find your articles very interesting and informative so thanks everso much for that.

Keith E Bartlett

Hello Keith,

Glad you're enjoying the review. Part 3 is coming soon hopefully.

Wow, 4 TWSBI's!?! You really do like them. ;) They deserve it too. Such awesome pens and for such a price!

Glad you are liking the blog as well. I hope you will continue to find it useful, fun, and informative.

Regards,

777 :)

FPN%252520banner.jpg