Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

Diamine Steel Blue, in Noodler's Ahab on unknown cardstock:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0293-1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0294-1.jpg

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Diamine Steel Blue, in Noodler's Ahab on unknown cardstock:

WoW! That's quite spectacular. I will always remember you as the "Queen of Sheen" !!! :wub:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all these lovely pictures! Now that Goulet's currently undergoing an "Ink Samplepalooza", I'm stocking up on Iroshizuku and Sailor inks to test out the same effects. :wub:

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

Hello sheen fans. Do any of you have suggestions for a very dark black with a sheeny/shiny surface when dry?

Hello sheen fans. Do any of you have suggestions for a very dark black with a sheeny/shiny surface when dry?

Sailor Kiwa-guro, which is a carbon ink designed for fountain pens. With 'microparticles,' I think (I threw out the box). This gives a dark grey sheen at certain angles, much as an 8B pencil does. Some people dislike the sheen, saying it looks like a xerox, but I can't see this myself.

Some people worry about the fact it's tiny carbon particles in suspension. Hasn't been a worry for me: just flush more often if you need to.

I suspect the Platinum black carbon ink is similar, but I haven't seen it

Edit. BTW, thanks to Shaylen for this thread. I've returned to it countless times over the last six months!

Edited by brunico

• 2 weeks later...

Edit. BTW, thanks to Shaylen for this thread. I've returned to it countless times over the last six months!

You are quite welcome!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Here is Rohrer and Klingner Solferino (many thanks to Laura N for the sample!!!)

Paper is Rhodia dotpad, pen is Pelikan P58 B nib.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0343.jpg

The Poor Connoisseurs

Sailor Kiwa-guro, which is a carbon ink designed for fountain pens. With 'microparticles,' I think (I threw out the box). This gives a dark grey sheen at certain angles, much as an 8B pencil does. Some people dislike the sheen, saying it looks like a xerox, but I can't see this myself.

Some people worry about the fact it's tiny carbon particles in suspension. Hasn't been a worry for me: just flush more often if you need to.

I suspect the Platinum black carbon ink is similar, but I haven't seen it

Thanks for this suggestion. I do not have any inherent prejudice about nanocarbon inks and I practice good pen hygeine with regular flushing. I will see if I can find a source of Sailor ink to give it a try. That is always a problem, due to my location. One of the problems with black, is that it is black because it absorbs all the light, so asking for a shiny black is sort of contradictory. I am starting to like the idea of inks that are reminiscent of a snails trail, with reflective and even iridescent surfaces. Because such things require lacquers or ink components that settle out into layers when dry, it tends to be contradictory to fountain pen use.

Here is Rohrer and Klingner Solferino (many thanks to Laura N for the sample!!!)

Paper is Rhodia dotpad, pen is Pelikan P58 B nib.

<snip>http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0343.jpg<snip>

This is beautiful. I love all things in the Purple/violet range. Along with scabiosa this is now on my must have list.

Every ink has sheen as long as you take enough water out of it and leave it more concentrated.

This is a really DEFINITIVE POST. Thanks for those photos. It's nice to see my inks in another light! :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the mediocre photo, but I get quite a bit of sheen from Sailor Seiboku. The writing in the photo was with a Pilot Custom 74 F adjusted to be a bit wet.

post-25375-0-99341500-1328859746.jpg

Edited by XiaoMG

Robert.

Sorry for the mediocre photo, but I get quite a bit of sheen from Sailor Seiboku. The writing in the photo was with a Pilot Custom 74 F adjusted to be a bit wet.

Nice catch! This looks very similar to Sky High, which has a very apparent sheen.

I recently acquired some onion skin paper, and WOW! do the sheens show up on that stuff. I'll take pictures when I can.

The Poor Connoisseurs

• 4 weeks later...

So is Tanzanite a better Penman Sapphire imitation? I thought DC Electric was the one that was supposed to do it, but I get no sheen.

BTW, I remembered I had this old pic from when I was doing home photo printing as a hobby, and working at an ink cartridge refilling store. It's probably the same thing as we're asking for here, and was definitely not desirable. I tried to help out by telling the mfg. of the refill store's ink that their black was having this problem (the OEM did not), and boy were they peeved off at me instead of being thankful. They criticized my test method instead of trying it themselves (easy effect to replicate). Sigh. Well, at least I kept my job, I just bought different black ink (InkTec) for my own refills. Now I've given up on home photo printing almost entirely. I don't need the hassle of getting into using a spectrophotometer to "color profile" my fountain pen ink like I was feeling I should with the photos (and still might have got frustrating results).

The pic:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7070/6953928917_34d421c7c4.jpg

Top is a photo at an angle of the printed photograph. Bottom is the original digital image - the shirt should be solid black.

Re: the Tanzanite as a Sapphire replacement:

Having not used Sapphire, I can't say for sure. That said, Tanzanite is pretty darn purple, and the sheen is gold, not red. I did get sheen from PR Electric DC Blue, but it was red, and the blue was a pretty standard med-slightly dark blue.

The Poor Connoisseurs

Nice catch! This looks very similar to Sky High, which has a very apparent sheen.

I recently acquired some onion skin paper, and WOW! do the sheens show up on that stuff. I'll take pictures when I can.

Can't wait to witness the results Shaylen! :clap1:

Gobblecup ~

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add another, since I just picked it up this afternoon and noticed it was a sheener. The background writing is the same ink and exhibits some sheen, but it's only super obvious with the larger tip.

http://i.imgur.com/i4T2r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0BYyN.jpg

Edited by XiaoMG

Robert.

I'll see what I can do with Platinum's Carbon Black and Sailors Carbon ink. With the nekid (Benny Hill) eye you geta sheen that is dark black on the Platinum CB, while Sailors CB has the slate grey sheen. Both are quite beautiful to me and I'll be inking up a bold Safari next with the Platinum CB. :) see if I can get a good shot of it.

Just thought I'd add another, since I just picked it up this afternoon and noticed it was a sheener. The background writing is the same ink and exhibits some sheen, but it's only super obvious with the larger tip.

http://i.imgur.com/i4T2r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0BYyN.jpg

I cannot see a name for the ink….

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif