Inks With A "sheen"

shaylenwilliams

R&K Alt-Goldgrun, PR Copperburst, Levenger Cobalt(IIRC),Noodlers Golden Brown,Diamine Majestic...Those are few I can remember as possessing some sheen.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• attika89

Here are some shots of Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku. The Staples Bagasse pad I tried to use is newer, and the paper feels a bit different from older bagasse, so I'm REALLY hoping they didn't change their process/formulation. :crybaby: It is not as FP friendly, and doesn't show sheen :bawl: .

Anyway, these were taken on Rhodia Dotpad. The pen used is a Noodler's Ahab.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0204.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0208.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0205.jpg

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6043/6363564965_ceb3148769_z.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6032/6363565063_a35868e5c6.jpg

Sailor Jentle Grenade ink as the ink has a greenish sheen that is only visible when the line is laid on wet. Unfortunately not all paper get this effect but it does on G. Lalos Verge De France. Here is a close up of what I mean.

Its also versatile ink. The color goes from hot pink to dark burgundy depending on paper and how wet the line is.

Sailor Jentle Grenade ink as the ink has a greenish sheen that is only visible when the line is laid on wet. Unfortunately not all paper get this effect but it does on G. Lalos Verge De France. Here is a close up of what I mean.

I've noticed a very similar greenish sheen with Diamine Wild Strawberry.

I've noticed a very similar greenish sheen with Diamine Wild Strawberry.

I just had Wild Strawberry inked up, and I wondered about it, but apparently I didn't have it in a wet enough pen to catch it. I'll try and set it for sheening next time I ink it.

Edited by shaylenwilliams

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

I just had Wild Strawberry inked up, and I wondered about it, but apparently I didn't have it in a wet enough pen to catch it. I'll try and set it for sheening next time I ink it.

Mine's in a Noodler's flex pen at present, so very wet indeed. :)

Mine's in a Noodler's flex pen at present, so very wet indeed. :)

Ah. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the heads-up! If you can manage to take pictures, feel free to add them here!

The Poor Connoisseurs

Great thread; here's a few shots from a few inks you may not have done yet:

Appears that Iroshizuku Chiku-Rin (middle) has some sheen:

Fuyo-Syogun%252520Chiku-Rin%252520Ina-Ho%252520Close%252520Up.jpg

Sheen from (Left to Right) Edelstein Aventurine, Jade, Topaz

Aventurine%252520Jade%252520Topaz%252520Close%252520Up.jpg

Sheen from (Left to Right) Edelstein Topaz, Mandarin, Iroshizuku Ajisai

Topaz%252520Mandarin%252520Fuyo-Syogun%252520Close%252520Up.jpg

Colors in this test (check out the transparency of the inks)

All%252520Sheen%252520Inks.jpg

Edited by stevesurf

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Most of my inks have a sheen, though it's rare that they come out in any spectacular way on paper. However, there is a pretty easy way to get a hypothetical view of what the sheen color is.

I think the real-world testing that Shaylen and others have been doing is much more useful if you want these sheens to show up in real life, but if you're curious about what the ink COULD produce, use a thin glass surface with a black backing. Use a cotton swab to lightly rub the ink on the glass surface and dry quickly (do not use dollops...just a smear from a slightly wetted swab). Photograph using a white wall or surface as a reflector (picks up colors while leaving the black fairly black). Neither lighting angle nor shooting angle should be very oblique.

I apologize that I don't have time to set it up to be pretty at the moment, but here's a quick and dirty snap from my dusty coffee table with a few ink smears.

Addendum: another benefit of doing this if you're curious is that it uses quite little ink (you can probably just get your swab sample from under the cap). Oh, and it's very easy to clean.

post-25375-0-91156200-1322997206.jpg

Edited by XiaoMG

Robert.

Most of my inks have a sheen, though it's rare that they come out in any spectacular way on paper. However, there is a pretty easy way to get a hypothetical view of what the sheen color is.

I think the real-world testing that Shaylen and others have been doing is much more useful if you want these sheens to show up in real life, but if you're curious about what the ink COULD produce, use a thin glass surface with a black backing. Use a cotton swab to lightly rub the ink on the glass surface and dry quickly (do not use dollops...just a smear from a slightly wetted swab). Photograph using a white wall or surface as a reflector (picks up colors while leaving the black fairly black). Neither lighting angle nor shooting angle should be very oblique.

I apologize that I don't have time to set it up to be pretty at the moment, but here's a quick and dirty snap from my dusty coffee table with a few ink smears.

Addendum: another benefit of doing this if you're curious is that it uses quite little ink (you can probably just get your swab sample from under the cap). Oh, and it's very easy to clean.

Amazing! Thanks so much for this!

The Poor Connoisseurs

It's a good excuse to smear ink all over an iPad screen. hmm1.gif

:roflmho: That's what technology gets for being all uppity and whatnot!

The Poor Connoisseurs

It's a good excuse to smear ink all over an iPad screen. hmm1.gif

Watch you don't trip the moisture sensors on the iPad ;)

There's one in the headphone jack and one in the dock!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

• 2 weeks later...

Montblanc Lavender Purple (from a cartridge, to be specific), Pelikan P58 Style B nib, Staples Bagasse.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0266-1.jpg

The Poor Connoisseurs

Diamine Wild Strawberry on Rhodia. Pen used was a defunct Ahab. (I tried to white-balance, but it made matters worse.)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0271.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0272.jpg

Edited by shaylenwilliams

The Poor Connoisseurs

So...I had to try the Shin-ryoku (green color) that I had, and pleasantly discovered that there is a red sheen to that one as well! Having a sheen makes the shading stand out so much more than other inks.

I hadn't read this, but was pleasantly surprised when I wrote my Christmas cards in Shin-Ryoku. I used a very wet-writing full-flex Eversharp Skyline, onto some not hugely absorbent cards. When the ink dried - which did take a while - it came out a very deep dark green, but with a purple sheen reminiscent of that which has been reported from Penman Emerald. Maybe the sheen colour is dependent on exactly how wet a writer is used?

I have heard that sheen called brassing with calligraphy inks. Beautiful but random.

Erring; for he with this rebellious rout

Fell long before; nor aught aviled him now

To have built in Heaven high towers; nor did he scape

By all his engines, but was headlong sent

With his industrious crew, to build in Hell

Never knew about sheens, this is quite amazing! I know I'll be getting PR Tanzanite soon.

post-36902-0-82024400-1324491377.jpg TWD Majestic Blue

This is quite a contrast in colors. What does TWD stand for, by the way?