Omas Sepia

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the scans, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Gray Scale below.

As the patches are neutral gray, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Gray Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576.jpg

- = ◎ = -

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/ccb4c0fc.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' down-stroke width and pens' relative wetness.

Link:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/th_c3d63335.jpg

Pens: L → R: Somiko, P99, C74, 45, Phileas & Prelude.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Private%20Reserve%20Chocolate/86f3378c.jpg

L → R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo white, Royal, Staples 20 lb.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling is 8mm. ↕

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/803ea546.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/0f18f7eb.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/c0cb6d4e.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/2ba7926d.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi use.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/5506eecb.jpg

Figure 9.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/e7bc7cd3.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times

Wet Tests

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/01b47fc2.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Bottle.
  • Ah me, gone is the iconic design box. :bawl: Mercy Raphaele! Abbia misericordia!

Availability:

• Current production.

Daily writer?

• Possible.

A go-to ink?

• Yes - when a tactile lustrous Brown is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• In the highest densities shown, OS could be used for lateral and downward internal correspondence. Possible for those working in team or egalitarian organisation.
  • Lacks the substance and gravitas for the Conference Room or external correspondence.
  • Like most inks with a strong yellow component, their appearance is very susceptible to perceived colour shift induced by artificial (unbalanced) light sources, so I would be hesitant to use this for personal work product. (Oh my!)
  • It could be used for ephemera/drafts that will be subject to being recycled/superseded in the very near term.
  • Not enough zip for mark-up or editing.
  • Not enough zap for error correction or grading.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• Certainly a welcome addition to many palettes.
  • May replace a colour that was previously mixed.
  • Provides a warm ground colour that can easily be shaded to invoke distance / atmospheric perspective.
  • Not so enthusiastic about OS as a complementary colour, so just as a transitional / gradient perhaps.
  • Line quality can be quite high, but requires a smooth paper for tight narrow lines, cross-hatching, etc. (Typical of a dry ink.)

Students:

• As indicated in Business use, the perceived colour can shift, hence the legibility may be reduced.
  • Good for ephemera / drafts.
  • As ink can be easily removed with water, paper may be re-used.
  • Not enough oomph for written assignments.

Personal:

• Oh yes!
  • A great pick when one can choose their pen and paper to work with this ink.
  • Another 'on purpose' ink.
  • Definitely not for anything remotely pro forma.
  • Personally, I find it best suited to shorter missives of say five or fewer A4s.
  • Takes to the smaller format sheets with ease; or if one chooses wide margins on A4/Letter.
  • Can easily handle the shaped nibs; I prefer a narrow Cursive Italic nib of average wetness. (I also like that sort of writer with the OMAS Turquoise. Coincidence?)
  • Some practitioners may prefer to push OS into the higher densities; a move which OS will support with aplomb.
  • Biglietti galanti? 'fraid not.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Quite dry.
  • (Unexpectedly so.)

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubrication:

• Quite good.
  • Ran smoothly from all pens on all papers.

Nib Creepers:

• Not seen.

Staining:

• Not seen.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Not seen on papers used.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Not seen on papers used.

Smell:

• Slightly sweet; very faint.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not seen.
  • Considering the transparency of this ink, I would guard against contamination of the writing surface.

Clean Up:

• Thorough and very prompt with plain water.

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.
  • I see no reason to mix into this ink.
  • Some may prefer to increase flow by adding a surfactant. (Tsk.)

Archival:

• Not claimed.

Water Resistance and Smear/Dry Time are shown in Figure 10.

Nota Bene:

• Time out of mind some OMAS inks were reported to have low pH levels, LINK
  • Not wishing to carry-forward old information, I contacted OMAS regarding the pH levels of their current production inks. I received a kind reply from Raffaele Rispo, Operations Manager at OMAS, stating that OMAS Sepia has a pH of 7,1 ± 1.0.
  • There are numerous threads on FPN and other sources on the topic of pH of inks, so I invite dear readers to address that issue outside of this Ink Review, where a wider audience may read & contribute.
  • I have created a Topic for such posts: FPN Inky Thoughts Topic for OMAS Ink pH Levels: LINK

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Tactile.
  • Softness of Chinese silk coloured with natural dyes.
  • The warmth to be found in a dog's fur on a crisp morning.

Saturation:

• Quite low.

Shading:

• Oh yes!
  • Needs hard smooth surfaced paper to show-off.
  • Narrow nibs can show shading too! (See the Hi-Res scan of the C74 on Rhodia below.)

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • A bit higher than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Also a bit higher than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• High.
    • It is somewhat uncommon, but I suggest the wily practitioner would select the paper first: base-tint, surface characteristics and format, prior to selecting a writer.
    • The dry nature combined with low saturation and good shading potential give considerable range before unacceptable results may be encountered.
    • Personally, I consider the results shown on the G Lalo to be marginal, but I don't doubt that some will enjoy the way OS is so pale, yet manages to remain well-seated upon the page.

Hi-Res Scans:

Links only.

Somiko on HPJ1124 :

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/th_fe143582.jpg

C74 on Rhodia :

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/th_0adf20a5.jpg

45 on G Lalo :

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/th_d6d95ebb.jpg

Prelude on Royal :

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20OMAS%20Sepia/th_f224609e.jpg

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

Not quite, but I won't argue the toss.

Are swatches accurate?

Quite close actually.

SIMILAR COLOURS

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• From smooth crisp neutral white to textured natural white.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Any paper not sufficiently absorbent - G Lalo apparently the outer marker - unless an unusually wet writer is used. (e.g. My Targa with its stubbie B.)
  • Any that are 'cool white'. (The warmth of the ink is lost.)

Tinted Papers:

• Hmm. I'm not all so convinced to use a tint. OS is rather transparent, and I would not like to have the colour of the tint, certainly nothing Blue-Cyan, interfere with the ink colour.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms:
    • Pleasantly do-able.
    • The dry nature of the ink should allow good performance on 'lowest bidder' paper, and when tiny writing is required.

[*]Charts & graphs:

• I would go for a more saturated ink, especially if underlying grids, etc. show through the ink. (Also limits its use on Quadrille / Seyès ruled paper.)

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Quite possible.
  • I think that OS has the potential to exploit the high-end papers; certainly for generating shading.

ETC.

Majik:

• Not quite. Certainly capable of routine marvels and more.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• The 45 on the Rhodia.
    • Definitely my preferred paper of the lot.
    • Ink has a good range of density from shading; the M nib width not generating a distracting amount of shading, and gives a comfortable % of ink coverage.
    • (As ever, results from the C74 were tempting!)

Yickity Yackity:

• Not for everyone, not for every occasion. A welcome ink that will be used on purpose - not by default.
  • Ah kushbaby, is this one a bit slow for you, or is it lurking on your second shelf?

======

NUTS & BOLTS

______

Pens:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/th_1541b447.jpg

Written Samples:

• Sailor Somiko + TIGP F nib.
  • Pelikan P99 + steel F nib.
  • Pilot Custom 74 + 14K SFM nib.
  • Parker 45 + g-p steel M nib.
  • Waterman Phileas + steel B nib.
  • Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel B stub nib.

For lines & labels:

• Noodler's Lexington Grey from Pilot 78G + F nib.

On these papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Staples 20lb. multi use.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Hi-Res Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted post-capture, so went straight to Photobouquet.

Densitometer Readings (FWIW):

(HPJ1124)

• Red 176
  • Grn 129
  • Blu 117
  • Lum 135

FINE PRINT

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff in the bottle I used, and that in bottle/s you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

TAGS: Fountain pen ink review OMAS Sepia Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• lovemy51

• Pensible

• JefferyS

Hi,

OMAS Sepia is the fifth ink to be reviewed in the 'One of the Eleven' (OOTE) group of Brown inks.

When complete, the intention is to have the OOTE inks reviewed in the same manner, to the maximum practical extent.

Hopefully the OOTE reviews will assist practitioners in choosing their Brown/s, and avoid unintentional purchase of equivalent ink/s.

The Written Samples' format and scans are designed to support comparisons through manipulation of 'net browser windows. Consequently, for the OOTE series, comparison post/s will be generated only from material included in the Ink Reviews when the OOTE series is complete as I see fit, and upon Members' request.

I will be the first to admit that my experience with Brown inks is somewhat lean, so OOTE may be an interesting voyage of discovery - for me at least.

Bye,

Sandy1

==========

Prior OOTE Ink Reviews:

[deleted]

Edited by Jeffery Smith

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Thanks for the extensive review. About that pH value... Since pH is a log scale plus/minus 1.0 represents a very large range of (essentially) hydrogen ion concentration. 7.1 is basically neutral like water but 6.1 is acidic and 8.1 is basic. Interesting quality control. Be careful with mixing and in old pens.

Thanks for the extensive review. About that pH value... Since pH is a log scale plus/minus 1.0 represents a very large range of (essentially) hydrogen ion concentration. 7.1 is basically neutral like water but 6.1 is acidic and 8.1 is basic. Interesting quality control. Be careful with mixing and in old pens.

Hi,

You're welcome!

In the Inky Thoughts Topic for OMAS ink pH levels, LINK, our dear SamCapote raised the issue of certain biocide/s' effectiveness at various pH levels. I suppose pH also influences what sort of critter could take hold and grow in inks of various pH levels.

Bye,

S1

Great review. Green figs in honey? I've never had a fig I liked. With honey reminds me of Baklava...but I usually get the pistachio brand made by a wonderful local Greek family run restaurant.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review. Green figs in honey? I've never had a fig I liked. With honey reminds me of Baklava...but I usually get the pistachio brand made by a wonderful local Greek family run restaurant.

Reaches for a green fig to give it a hug.

• 1 month later...

I just got this ink recently and I like it. I was looking for a yellowish brown, something that reminded me of old time yellowed pictures and old reading materials. I also wanted a brown that popped a little more off the page than the darker browns. I had to sit and look at swatches on the Goulet site and came upon this ink, it seemed close to what I wanted so I ordered it. It is exactly what I was looking for, I will be using this brown more often than the darker browns.

Great review, thanks.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j432/Rodera/Images%20to%20Use/signature2.jpg

-Mauri

I just got this ink recently and I like it. I was looking for a yellowish brown, something that reminded me of old time yellowed pictures and old reading materials. I also wanted a brown that popped a little more off the page than the darker browns. I had to sit and look at swatches on the Goulet site and came upon this ink, it seemed close to what I wanted so I ordered it. It is exactly what I was looking for, I will be using this brown more often than the darker browns.

Great review, thanks.

Hi,

Many thanks for chiming in. :thumbup:

It is not so clear to me what range of Browns can be considered as Sepia. And the oracle of Wiki seems tongue-tied on this one.

Hopefully as the OOTE series lurches along, there may be a few more Sepia inks discovered, regardless of their name/s.

Bye,

S1

thx, Sandy, it looks like a very nice sepia! noticed you don't have a similar colors listed... anyone wants to add/comment, i will appreciate it.

Great review, thanks.

this sounds good. i use diamine sepia for this same reason.

Actually mine is the Diamine too. I was going to fix the response but got distracted by activity in the house and forgot to fix it right away. I got the link from the Havana review and thought it was the Diamine that was being reviewed on this thread, I didn't see the title until it was already posted. Sorry about that.

I have two browns, Diamine Sepia and Waterman Havana Brown, eventually I will get another brown, something in between. I'm very happy with the Diamine Sepia.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j432/Rodera/Images%20to%20Use/signature2.jpg

-Mauri

thx, Sandy, it looks like a very nice sepia! noticed you don't have a similar colors listed... anyone wants to add/comment, i will appreciate it.

HI,

I have purposely not mentioned Similar Inks. Why?

Pardon the long answer, but I believe you have raised an important point.

I have few Browns with which to compare, but that's not all. (Oh Oh!)

With the advent of online sources to compare colour swatches / swabs from Vendors such as The Writing Desk and Goulet Pens, what I have on my scantily populated ink shelves pales in comparison. (Likely over 1,000 inks are widely available.)

But clearly similarity does not stop at colour: colour is but one property of an ink. However, it is the primary factor generally used for determining similarity. (Not water resistance, flow rate, etc., etc.)

Until I have done my own wee Reviews, I do not think it overly wise to make claims about similarity that go beyond colour. (Well, maybe not in the Ink Review Forum.)

That said, my recent Ink Reviews are set-up to support comparison through manipulation of web browser windows. So the emphasis of comparison is written samples - not swabs / swatches; and after most other performance profile characteristics have been addressed.

Even though I have done and will continue to do simple swab colour comparisons, those are sometimes intended to show differences / contrasts, rather than similarities of colour.

When I did the OOTT series of ten Blue inks, I found that doing full Comparison posts was far too time consuming, and had few viewers. Consequently, I leave the task of comparison and finding similar inks to the readers.

However, when inks of very similar colour are encountered, I'll often do Reviews and a Comparison of the inks. e.g. JH Eclat de Saphir to PR Cosmic Cobalt, LINK; and Pilot Kon Peki to Sailor Sky High, LINK.

I believe that providing enough consistent written samples and other data, the reader can determine what inks are similar - based on whatever criteria they choose.

By using a strike-though on the heading text, I intend to show that I chose not to address the topic, rather than dropping the heading - which indicates I ignore/eliminate the topic. Perhaps that is just a matter of me being consistent within my template.

Thanks for asking!

Bye,

S1

This is how it reads from the sugestions from the sub-forum moderator:

(Folks like to know how an ink will act with a fountain pen, thus the use of an FP(s) as opposed to a dip pen is preferable for reviews.)

A photo/scan if possible is most helpful...*

Does the ink dry quickly? (i.e. in 3 or 4 seconds if rubbed lightly with your finger)* It's helpful if you show this smear test on your review.*

Does it seem to flow particularly fast or slow? *

Does it tend to dry up in pens quickly if the cap is off for awhile?

Any start-up problems with the pen, either in a short time or if not used for a few days? *

How does it lubricate the nib? (sufficiently, or like "skating on the paper")

Is it highly saturated?

Does it feather and/or bleed through the paper? *

Does it shade? *

Is there a phenomenal difference in appearance coming from different pens?

Is it particularly sensitive to hand oils?

Is it considered archival? (pH neutral & lightfast per manufacturer)

Is it waterproof/bulletproof? *

Are there some papers that it works especially well on? Or doesn't work well on?

Are there other ink colors that you know of that are very close to this color?

Is it sold in both bottles and cartridges?

Is the bottle designed to be "user friendly" and/or does it have an ink well?

If it isn't widely available, where did you purchase it?

... hence my question...... but.......

... never mind........ i'll start another topic about the two inks and ask the question there!!!!! :P

Edited by lovemy51

This is how it reads from the sugestions from the sub-forum moderator:

snip

Are there other ink colors that you know of that are very close to this color?

... hence my question...... but.......

... never mind........ i'll start another topic about the two inks and ask the question there!!!!! :P

Hi,

Yes indeed - I am not in compliance with the IR Guidelines; my Review is data deficient.

And I've dropped the entire 'Other Than Ink' section, which addressed the bottle, cap, label, box, insert, etc. :o

I appreciate your thoughts, but this tearaway angel will wait for [another] yellow card from Ann before mending my ways. ;)

Bye,

S1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the really detailed review! It encouraged me to try Omas Sepia again, and I've been pleasantly surprised.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'm glad you like this one.

It has an aspect that gives it that bit of extra something, which just doesn't come across on the monitor.

Bye,

S1