Baoer 8 Horses

Muncle

Unfortunately, my camera is on the fritz, so pictures won't be coming to this review. I tried taking them, but I can't get a focus on the pen, so I ended up with wonderful shots showing the fine grain of my desk; with blurry gold areas where the pen is laying. Pictures are available at Hisnibs.com (No affiliation).

This was purchased by a friend while on a business trip to India. They did a remarkable job of picking a pen out that suits my style and taste, while also fitting within a very reasonable budget. It was purchased at a store called Odyssey, in the Express Avenue Shopping Centre in Chennai.

First Thoughts:

The Chinese lettering and the heavy metal feel to this pen give it away as a "cheap" Chinese pen, and I admittedly was ready to feign enthusiasm at my new gift. I do like the design on it, and even though it's a longer pen (as long as a Safari, both capped and posted), it's still balanced quite nicely. The pull-off cap is secured nicely, and provides a satisfying click when replaced. The nib is a very attractive two-tone steel nib that suits the rest of the pen.

Writing:

This was the moment of truth. I filled it with Noodler's Zhivago, an ink I felt suited it, and prepared for the worst. I thought maybe nothing would come out, or it would scratch and tear, or that I would show an look of disappointment on my face. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. This pen turns out to be one of the smoothest pens I've ever had the pleasure to handle. It's up there with broad nibs, an MB 149, and a Lamy 1.1 stub. I think a look of obvious pleasure stood on my face as I started to play with my new pen. I've taken it to the local pen club, and seen the same look of amazement on the faces of other members. Even now, putting it through the paces, trying to scribble circles as fast as I can,the pen keeps up without skipping.

Further Thoughts:

This has been a pen that has been within reach since I first received it. It lays down a smooth, wet line. I llike the look, the feel and the balance of it. It's easy enough to use for long-term writing without getting any fatigue. This pen has blown that cost=quality argument completely out the window. It was purchased for 170 rupees, or roughly 3.75 Canadian $, and is better, and more attractive, then the cheapest Preppy or V-pen. One single caveat: When left standing for a day or two, it will write a couple of lines at full strength before the line drying up. It's an easy enough fix by squeezing a drop out with the C/C filler, and it's only happened once since I received it.

The other Chinese pen I have is a Duke, and it has given me far more trouble than this guy. I love the 8 Horses, from design to actual execution of writing, and would recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive pen, a way to scratch that "need to buy another pen" itch, or anyone who thinks that more expensive pens means much better writers. I would suggest it for people looking for a giveaway pen, except that it's likely to never leave your collection! :rolleyes:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• empyrean

• Muncle

• BillyL

• Lorna Reed

I recently bought a "cheap" chinese pen from ebay (like $4 shipped!). Wow! I filled it with Legal Lapis, and its practically become my favorite pen!!! It writes so well, much juicier and better lubricated than my others (to be fair, it is a broader and wetter nib). It is rather large and heavy, but it feels great!

When it comes to writing, you can't judge a pen till you write with it.

Edited by River

Fountain pens ~ a stream of consciousness flowing effortless onto paper.

the Baoer 8 horses is one of the first FPs I bought and it became my daily use pen until my Twsbi came along. I love it and have never had any problems with it. Its out of my rotation at the moment, but I'm sure it will be back in use before long.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

• 6 months later...

It is a beautiful pen indeed. I have just started out collecting fountain pens, and the Baoer 8 Horses is only my third. In fact, after reading this thread I just went out to the same book store and bought one of them. Rs 200 (roughly $4). Worth ever line and curve you can make. Flow is superb.

Must admit, I have sighted only 7 of the eight horses. Staring hard.

I have an 8 horses pen and it is a smooth, wet writer. It begins immediately after sitting a few days. No scratchiness, no babys bottom, no skipping.

My two Visconti's each have the skipping on the downstroke syndrome. I love my Esties, but the fine point nib could be used to sew on buttons.

For anyone who wants to experience the pleasure of writing with a good fountain pen, the 8 horses is the way to go. Another example of a fountain pen in which "buying a good pen" doesn't necessarily mean big name with a big price.

At the xFountainpens.com website, they now sell Chinese pens with oblique nib choices. I wish the 8 horses had a choice of stub or oblique.

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

Unfortunately, my camera is on the fritz, so pictures won't be coming to this review. I tried taking them, but I can't get a focus on the pen, so I ended up with wonderful shots showing the fine grain of my desk; with blurry gold areas where the pen is laying. Pictures are available at Hisnibs.com (No affiliation).

This was purchased by a friend while on a business trip to India. They did a remarkable job of picking a pen out that suits my style and taste, while also fitting within a very reasonable budget. It was purchased at a store called Odyssey, in the Express Avenue Shopping Centre in Chennai...

What size nib is on your 8 Horses? Is it a Baoer pen?

What size nib is on your 8 Horses? Is it a Baoer pen?

Yes, it is a Baoer pen with a medium nib. Only size they have on this particular pen to my knowledge. It gives a nice line. I have some Jinhao pens with a medium nib that is a bit thicker than the Baoer.

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

I just received my Baoer 8 Horses, with a Baoer fine nib. While, I'm not ecstatic with the pen, it's probably one of the best pens, in it's price group. The threads on the barrel have a lot of play, which gives it a cheap feel. I doubt that the converter is going to last very long, as the plastic seems pretty soft. The nib is pretty good, I only had to do a little bit of smoothing. Sometimes, the nib hesitates at the beginning of a stroke, but generally, it writes well. All in all, the Baoer is nice eye candy and a decent writer.

I just received my Baoer 8 Horses, with a Baoer fine nib. While, I'm not ecstatic with the pen, it's probably one of the best pens, in it's price group. The threads on the barrel have a lot of play, which gives it a cheap feel. I doubt that the converter is going to last very long, as the plastic seems pretty soft. The nib is pretty good, I only had to do a little bit of smoothing. Sometimes, the nib hesitates at the beginning of a stroke, but generally, it writes well. All in all, the Baoer is nice eye candy and a decent writer.

Gee, that's too bad about your pen, BillyL. Mine feels and looks well-made; didn't know you could get a fine nib with it. Mine is a medium and has never skipped or hesitated on the downstroke. The nib on these pens is very pretty~!!

hmmm interesting... I bought on of these and bloody hate it. the nib part detaches from the body of the pen too easily and the nib was horrible. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Interesting to see this topic pop up again. I've been using this pen as a general daily writer, filled with Noodler's Zhivago. I still like it, although I find it needs a start in the morning. I usually give the C/C filler a little twist, just to flood the feed a little. After that, we're good to go.

Full disclosure: it may have something to do with my fiddling with the feed a little while ago :rolleyes:

I still like it. I find it a sturdy pen, no play in the threads. I also don't mind lending it for the occasional use, since the nib is pretty safe

• 2 weeks later...

I received this pen in the mail today and am very pleased with it. I bought it mostly because I like the looks of it and because of the review in this thread. I took it to a meeting this evening and positive comments. Those who saw it assumed it was an expensive pen. I used it to take notes and was able to write quickly without any skipping. The nib is a medium but writes like a wet fine IMO.

I bought a lot of 4 of these on ebay to give a couple to friends. I realized too late that every single one of them had a bad case of baby bottom. It was bad enough that they wouldn't write at all unless under a HUGE amount of pressure or flooded to the point of dripping. My husband fiddled with a couple of them with some micromesh and got them writing, and now they're lovely. They do take priming every so often. I've got R&K Scabiosa in mine now and it goes along fine for a while and then I end up having to prime it again after about half a page. It would probably do better with a wetter ink. I'm currently using Staples Arc paper with it most of the time. Either way, they're pretty pens and I believe that they're better quality than they sometimes get credit for, but I would have been much happier if they could have written out of the box.