Pages Allowed For 1 Stamp

scaevola

I've tried looking up the answer to this, and I haven't found much on the web. How many pages can I fit in a stamp for a letter?

I've got 10 light notebook paper pages, and I just want to make sure they'll be okay for it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Octo

• scaevola

• Enai

• professionaldilettante

Top Posters In This Topic

How about you walk it to your post office? The 44 cents or so now is overkill for something like a check, but at least then you would be paying exactly how much was needed instead of letting the post keep the change. We would never know how much it costs, since it's based on weight. Priority mail has its own rate too for letters I think, but I don't know when the jump in rate is. Weight my dear Watson, it's elementary.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

How about you walk it to your post office? The 44 cents or so now is overkill for something like a check, but at least then you would be paying exactly how much was needed instead of letting the post keep the change. We would never know how much it costs, since it's based on weight. Priority mail has its own rate too for letters I think, but I don't know when the jump in rate is. Weight my dear Watson, it's elementary.

I'm not in the city for two months. It's a pain to get to the post office.

Edited by scaevola

The 44-cent domestic first class rate is for up to 1 ounce. Ten sheets of even 16-lb notebook paper (assuming 8.5x11 inches) plus the envelope would probably weigh more than 1 ounce, by my calculation. Seven sheets of this paper plus the envelope would be about the limit for the 1-ounce weight. To be safe, affix 64 cents worth of stamps to your mail.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Six sheets of 20# paper and one business envelope of the same weight paper go for one one-ounce stamp. If you use a larger envelope like 6x9 or 9x12 inches there will be a surcharge for the larger size. You can adjust for different paper weights. A reference is the "Writer's Market" section on mailing manuscripts.

depends on the size and weight as others have said, this is why airmail stationery was developed.

politician and idiot are synonymous terms - Mark Twain

Like others have said, it depends on the weight of the paper. I happened to inherit a postage scale so I just throw my letters on there before they go out. Assuming you haven't come by such a device, the next best thing is to take a pad of the paper and envelope you intend to use to the post office when you go and have them weight some sheets. I did that with one of my heavier papers and just made a note that 5 pages of that was safe for the 44 cents. USUALLY, I'm safe with 5 sheets. Another thing you can do is buy a few stamps for the next ounce which is now 20 cents, I believe. Maybe someone will correct me or check with you mail carrier or post office. If in doubt, throw on the postage for another ounce.

One person that wrote to me liked to use HP 32# paper and I was always having to pay the extra postage on the letters. On top of that, she'd paint on the paper with acrylic paints and add a wax seal! :ltcapd:

Cedar

You can get a good estimate of an ounce by placing a U.S. quarter on one side of a pivot and your filled envelope on the other. So long as the quarter is heavier, you're OK.

You can get a good estimate of an ounce by placing a U.S. quarter on one side of a pivot and your filled envelope on the other. So long as the quarter is heavier, you're OK.

Um, by my reasonably accurate kitchen scale, a U.S. quarter weighs 2/10 of an ounce, so five quarters is about an ounce.

Inked and ready to write: Montegrappa Espressione, an Aurora, a Waterman Phileas, a Rotring 600, a Pelikan 205 and a Pelikan highlighter, a couple of Lamy Safaris, Al-Star, and Studio, and a couple of Levengers.

Tantum malorum religio suadere potuit.

Um, by my reasonably accurate kitchen scale, a U.S. quarter weighs 2/10 of an ounce, so five quarters is about an ounce.

Ditto.

Stacked 5 U.S. Quarter Dollar (25 cent) pieces on my kitchen electronic scale and it weighed out at 1.0 ounce.

YMMV

Domestic US in a standard letter envelope is 44 cents for 1 ounce. Depending on the weight of the paper and envelope, maybe 4 pages.

Chris

Very much interested in Life, Liberty, and especially the pursuit of Happiness!

I've tried looking up the answer to this, and I haven't found much on the web. How many pages can I fit in a stamp for a letter?

I've got 10 light notebook paper pages, and I just want to make sure they'll be okay for it.

Ten pages are probably going to be more than one ounce.

When you walk to the post office to mail your letter, pick up some 20 cent stamps. The second and other ounces of a 1st class letter are 20 cents, not 44 cents.

If your household has a kitchen scale, use that. I've got digital and it's very accurate; when in doubt, I round up one ounce.

You can also order stamps online from USPS dot com.

Ditto.

Stacked 5 U.S. Quarter Dollar (25 cent) pieces on my kitchen electronic scale and it weighed out at 1.0 ounce.

Right! Five is the correct number for one ounce. The USPS website will give the cost of postage for additional ounces.