#1 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:40

...Rhodia No. 18, Noodler's Ink: Apache, Private Reserve Ink: DC Supershow Blue, and the Pilot Custom 823 BALLPOINT (just kidding) fountain pen.

The Pen Performance: Page 1

Posted Image

The Pen Performance: Page 2

Posted Image

Photo 1

Posted Image

Photo 2

Posted Image

Photo 3

Top to bottom: Montblanc 149, Pilot Custom 823, Pelikan 800 Old Style
Posted Image

Photo 4

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 21:06

Thank you for this review and for taking the time to include the photographs! Great job.

One question. You said the nib was smooth but I am wondering if the nib is tolerant of wrist turning. Is it picky about how it is held to the paper or do you think it would be tolerant of someone who threw his elbow out a bit and turned the pen while he wrote?

Again, thanks, j

#3 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:57

You must be a lefty overwriter. I tried writing with the elbow out and wrist turning. The 823 will write. Below is a sample using your two conditions. I suggest you visit a store or pen show to try the 823 pen first prior to buying.

Posted Image

Edited by Signum1, 01 June 2011 - 02:59.

Posted Image

#4 APHK

APHK

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:03

Thanks for the review, the 823 is such a great pen for the money.

I'd just tried that technique for maximising the ink capacity - works like a charm. One thing I'd like to add though is that some pressure needs to be kept on the plunger immediately after expelling the air and before doing the second dip as it seems to want to push itself out.

#5 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• 1,807 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 13:24

Hello, S1!

Thanks for the review! I really like your Italic handwriting, and, in my opinion, It's the most beautiful in the FPN. My italic handwriting is very close to yours! :lol:

I don't have the Pilot 823, but I'm very tempted about this pen. The only drawback is that there is no broad Music (or Italic or stub) nib. :glare:

I've purchased a Visconti Homo Sapiens, and since then the Vacuum Filling System have become my first option! I also used to fill my pen using this really clever technique. Maybe it works in all Vacuum Fill pen. I don't remember, where I've read this technique, but certainly was on FPN.

All the best,

Fabricio

#6 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 00:11

Thanks for taking the time to experiment for me. I appreciate it!

J

#7 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:09

Very nice pen!

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:26

Very nice review :thumbup: I had an opportunity to buy one but missed it. Next time maybe.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#9 bjcmatthews

bjcmatthews

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:47

I love demonstrators, but for some reason don't like this pen in a demonstrator. Or a demonstrator in this pen.

Excellent review mate. I haven't noticed any scratches on the 823 that I bought new but they may also be harder to see as I bought the smokey one. When the smoke clears I'll let you know.

I also have Apache Sunset, and never thought of using it in that pen. I didn't think the shading would be as good as it actually is. However, did you have to clean the pen extra well considering that it probably has had darker inks in it at some point, and Apache is very very sensitive to other inks discolouring it?

even after a thorough cleaning the lubricant in my pens barrel will forever remain blue/black so I think my chances of putting a light colour ink into it are now fairly poor

Nice review and excellent choice of inks used

#10 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:40

@ bjcmatthews

I actually first loaded the 823 demo with Noodler's Kung Te Cheng with 25% dilution of water. The purple ink didn't look so nice in a demo, so I flushed the Kung Te Cheng in a container for future usage. Cleaning the barrel of the pen require three flushes to remove traces of Kung Te Cheng. As a result, no stains were detected in the barrel of the 823 demo pen after flushing. The previous owner either did an excellent job practicing good pen hygiene or ONLY dipped the nib to write a few lines. The barrel was squeaky clean when the 823 came into my possession.

I have not taken my 823 pen a part for through cleaning yet, so I can't comment about consequences of dark inks reaction with the Apache. As you stated, when the SMOKE clears, you let me know how it (dark ink mixing with Apache and not about scratches as noted in your remarks) turns out . LOL

I know with certainty that Noodler's Baystate Blue WILL stain a demo because I've loaded the Baystate Blue into the Noodler's Creaper and it stained the Creaper.

@ Fabricio

My friend if your Italic is close to mine, then I highly recommend you remove the cap on your pen and FLASH me some curves with your handwriting. LOL

You can always acquire a broad nib 823 pen and sent it to someone to re-grind it to a cursive Italic. There are other individuals who can re-tip an 823 pen and re-grind the nib to a stub.

Edited by Signum1, 03 June 2011 - 22:33.

Posted Image

#11 young.1429

young.1429

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 18:33

Thanks for the review! I'm waiting for the black 823 in the post, and I'm excited! For awhile all I could find was the brown, which was my least favorite. I also got the M nib, so your review was great.

#12 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2011 - 21:29

@ bjcmatthews

You can always acquire a broad nib 823 pen and sent it to someone to re-grind it to a cursive Italic. There are other individuals who can re-tip an 823 pen and re-grind the nib to a stub.

Exactly what I did (used John Mottishaw) :thumbup:
This post contains 100% recycled electrons
Posted Image

#13 geirhelle

geirhelle

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 00:03

This is the coolest and the best pen review I’ve seen. It is great to include some contrasting pens.
The comment about “The nib is as smooth as a baby’s bottom” connotes a flaw in the nib:) In reading your review, I think you really liked the nib.

#14 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2011 - 15:51

HUGE photos! Nice closeups and I love that 823!!!! :puddle:

#15 coppilcus

coppilcus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:15

Beautiful pen, amazing review :notworthy1: !

The 823 is definitely going to be in my collection, I´m doing a little research on where to buy it... but I am not going to be able to ignore the itch for long.

Posted Image

#16 sexauerw

sexauerw

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,565 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:44

The 823 is definitely going to be in my collection, I´m doing a little research on where to buy it... but I am not going to be able to ignore the itch for long.

I did the same as WOBentley (above) did. I bought mine from John Mottishaw, mostly because I wanted a .7mm cursive italic nib. John ground one for me and it's wonderful. That was almost three years ago and I've never taken that pen out of rotation. It's the only pen I own that stays inked and never gets rotated out, it's that good! And it's not like I don't have much choice, there are well over 300 others in my collection to choose from. Std. disclaimer: no connection with John other than as an extremely satisfied customer.

Bill Sexauer
PCA+++Logo+small.jpgBlk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpgCP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

#17 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:30

I love the filling mechanism with this pen. I got one from that store in Japan that had the FA nib installed. It works beautifully with the Iroshizuku inks.

Posted Image Posted Image
With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#18 coppilcus

coppilcus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:49

I did the same as WOBentley (above) did. I bought mine from John Mottishaw, mostly because I wanted a .7mm cursive italic nib. John ground one for me and it's wonderful. That was almost three years ago and I've never taken that pen out of rotation. It's the only pen I own that stays inked and never gets rotated out, it's that good! And it's not like I don't have much choice, there are well over 300 others in my collection to choose from. Std. disclaimer: no connection with John other than as an extremely satisfied customer.

Thank you for the advice!

I´ve been thinking on getting a Pelikan M420 at nibs.com, and from what I´ve read and heard, Mr. Mottishaw work and customer service is quite something, hopefully on the short term I´ll personally experience nothing but happiness knowing the worth of every penny you got charged for; unfortunately I can´t afford an extra or customised nib right now...

On the waiting list of "itchiness" is a Pelikan M420, the Pilot 823, M90 and a Custom 74... oh, and another Lamy 2000 EF nib before the price increase announced to happen on February. I can´t cope acquiring two pens at a time, so I am having an awful time deciding which one is going to arrive at my desk.

:headsmack:

Edited by coppilcus, 08 January 2012 - 05:51.

Posted Image

#19 Toolattack

Toolattack

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 16:22

I didn't know this pen before, but it's a great review.

#20 Hex

Hex

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2012 - 23:08

Yeah, a great review. I can feel my wallet getting all itchy.
I looked at nibs.com and all they seem to have are demonstrators. That seemed a bit odd. Does it come in other styles other than the see-through ?
Hex, aka George

#21 coppilcus

coppilcus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 00:37

Yeah, a great review. I can feel my wallet getting all itchy.
I looked at nibs.com and all they seem to have are demonstrators. That seemed a bit odd. Does it come in other styles other than the see-through ?

No, only demonstrators, cristal clear, smoke and amber.

Posted Image

#22 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• 2,022 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2012 - 00:44

I just got mine from Todd yesterday (amber demo with a broad nib). It's killing me but I have not inked it yet. I am going to relish your review before I do so I can savour it all. Posted Image

You inked with Apache Sunset. Nice choice. I am going with Lie de The, starting off mild and slow. I am really sparking with anticipation.

Edited by Fabienne, 09 January 2012 - 00:51.

monamonamonalil.jpg

#23 Levatio

Levatio

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:19

Excellent review and photos.

I have one Pilot Custom 823, clear amber translucent body with a medium nib 14kt gold. The nib is quite large, beautifully crafted with nicely balanced tines and a perfectly polished round tip directly from the factory that glides softly over the paper as you write. I verified mine with a 30X loupe triplet magnifier. These nibs are very handsome, high quality. The japanese medium nib writes closer to the european fine nib. Very close to a Pelikan fine nib. The Pilot Custom 823 with its plunger ink pump system holds a ton of ink so you don't have refill it as often. This is a great daily writer and good looking pen.

These pens can be found in eBay (search fountain pens or Pilot Custom 823). A good eBay seller is Taizo d/b/a Engeika directly in Japan: http://stores.ebay.c...nese-pen?_rdc=1

John Mottishaw, an american nibmaster, is a distributor of Pilot/Namiki and other fine japanese pens: http://www.nibs.com/...ikiPensPage.htm John Mottishaw and his nibsters will customize your japanese nib if you want to convert it into a beautiful cursive italic.

Another great nibmaster, Richard Binder, also sells japanese Pilot/Namiki, german Pelikan, american Bexly and other quality fountain pens. He too do magic customizing nibs: http://www.richardspens.com/

#24 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• 2,022 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2012 - 19:23

Inked that 823 yesterday and chose Syo-Ro (it's a Pilot ink). Oh, it was fine. So fine. Even my husband (he who has the 149 MB) said he loved it. I saw him turn green. Heh. I really want to try to do a big review of it in video (because I can).Posted Image

I am a real fan of Pilot.

monamonamonalil.jpg

#25 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Antique

• Moderators

• 2,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2012 - 20:26

The 823s are what turned me on to Pilots in the first place. I absolutely LOVE my two Custom 823s. I know it's ridiculous, but I bought two back-ups; one smoke, one clear. JUST IN CASE.

where to get the ink & info about my reviews!

KWS-flyingwhale-small_zps5c2158cd.jpg

now on Tomoe River paper!

#26 akafridi3

akafridi3

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 00:59

Beautiful pen! Just got my vac 700 and love the vac filling system

#27 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:14

The 823 is on my wish list. However, I wonder how consistent it is, out of the box. I read mixed comments about the 823 - probably about 70% positive and 30% with some type of problem - dryness, ink flow, etc., again right out of the box.

Edited by Blue_Moon, 31 August 2014 - 10:15.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#28 Apotheosis

Apotheosis

A Gathering Of All

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2014 - 17:21

The 823 is on my wish list. However, I wonder how consistent it is, out of the box. I read mixed comments about the 823 - probably about 70% positive and 30% with some type of problem - dryness, ink flow, etc., again right out of the box.

There's never a 100% guarantee in any pens you buy out of the box.

With the 2 problems you've listed it appears that the ink may be the cause and not so much the FP..and pen hygiene is important too to avoid problems.

Pilot FPs are generally reliable with little to no problems (that I know of or have experienced) out of the box.

Posted Image
"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

#29 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2014 - 17:40

There's never a 100% guarantee in any pens you buy out of the box.

With the 2 problems you've listed it appears that the ink may be the cause and not so much the FP..and pen hygiene is important too to avoid problems.

Pilot FPs are generally reliable with little to no problems (that I know of or have experienced) out of the box.

I'm currently in the market for an 823, and have been for about six months. Thus, I've read everything I've seen about the 823 in the last six months, and it just seems like there's a significant minority (about 30% in my best estimation) of comments about the pen that indicate problems out of the box. However, most people love the pen, and those who have difficulties manage to get them fixed. That's why I'm writing. In my current Pilots, I use nothing but Iroshizuku, so the ink won't be an issue for me.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#30 lehrer07

lehrer07

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2014 - 14:48

My amber Pilot Custom 823 F just arrived from Goulet today. I will try to put together a photo-review with several ink types as well (Iroshizuku, Lamy, and maybe Rohrer u. Klingner or Diamine) over the weekend along with some comparison photos next to Lamys, Platinums, and Sailors.