Noodler's Bad Green Gator Review

fiberdrunk

I've never been a fan of the color green, but I was in the mood for something different. I'm really glad I bought this ink. It has excellent flow in a Platinum Preppy .05 nib. It writes on the wet side, which I like, and it also dries very fast. I'm left-handed and have had no smearing issues, despite this being a wet ink. I like that this bulletproof ink is in the $12.50 price range, unlike many of the others that are around $18.50. A real bargain! And I even like the color. It's a nice forest green.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/5766468157_014110a270_b.jpg

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• alvarado

• Viseguy

• jkbd52

Thanks for the review. :)

I think I might have to pick up a sample of this ink with my next order from the Goulets. (Whenever that happens... Inevitably, sometime soon... :blush: )

Edited by RookSeven
http://i.imgur.com/05HpL.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ifi8V.png

Dang...had this one on my radar for a while, but it looks like now is the time to get it. LOVE the shading :) Thanks for the review.

Tamara

Thanks for the review! Is this ink waterfast, or is there runoff as with Bad Belted Kingfisher?

Viseguy

I like it! Looks like a pine green on my monitor - which even works for Christmas!

Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review! Is this ink waterfast, or is there runoff as with Bad Belted Kingfisher?

I don't have Bad Belted Kingfisher (yet) to compare it with, but when I dunked a sample, there was no run off of the ink.

I don't have Bad Belted Kingfisher (yet) to compare it with, but when I dunked a sample, there was no run off of the ink.

Thanks, good to know.

Viseguy

• 2 weeks later...

I got a sample of Bad Green Gator from Goulet pens a while back, I didn't like it due to its behavior.

It is far to wet - It gushed from my pen like a fire hose. It was not as green as the above scan shows, it had a strong grey component, although still very green. It dries very quickly.

More water resistant than Bad Belted Kingfisher - I saw no runoff like you get with BBK.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a sample of Bad Green Gator from Goulet pens a while back, I didn't like it due to its behavior.

It is far to wet - It gushed from my pen like a fire hose. It was not as green as the above scan shows, it had a strong grey component, although still very green. It dries very quickly.

I found that it was very prone to feathering and bleedthrough on most paper. As for the color, I'd describe it as a green-black.

I like the color and would probably buy a bottle if it were better-behaved.

got this, Green Marine, Sequoia and Vert Empire as samples from Goulet. I'm noticing a little nib creep with this but other than that really enjoying the ink. That said, though, don't know if I need "bulletproof" ink. Green Marine is almost an exact match, also excellent flow, but is water-proof. So may settle on that one.

But my all-time fave so far is Sequoia: dark, shades well in my Italifine nib and is somewhat water-resistant. Tossup between this one and Green Marine I suppose

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

Thanks for the review. Nice ink! Sort of reminds me a bit of White Forest, just a half a touch bluer.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 10 months later...

One of my favorite inks. Very wet but dries quickly. Nice sophisticated color that doesn't bleed on my cheap Zerox copier paper.

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Einstein

the color of this ink is good, but it tends to feather and bleed substantially :headsmack:

Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.../JFK

the color of this ink is good, but it tends to feather and bleed substantially :headsmack:

What papers have you tried it on? It's worked fine for me on several papers, even though it's on the wet side. I tend to use various brands of sugarcane papers, which seem to hold up well to this ink.

By the way, I've also had very good results using this in the Noodler rollerball pen (the one that came in some of the 4.5 oz boxes of ink).

Based on the sample I got from the Goulets, this ink performs well but I didn't like the color much. I was looking for a darker green, and got a LEGO brick green (out of multiple nib sizes in an Ahab.)

Edited by P.A.R.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

I use it in an EF Pilot Grance and agree with the review above. Still, a well-behaved ink that starts up each time I use it.

I'm a regular patron of The Barrel and the Nib. Pull up a stool, order a good ink, and make yourself at home.

• 3 weeks later...

What papers have you tried it on? It's worked fine for me on several papers, even though it's on the wet side. I tend to use various brands of sugarcane papers, which seem to hold up well to this ink.

By the way, I've also had very good results using this in the Noodler rollerball pen (the one that came in some of the 4.5 oz boxes of ink).

I use it with my pelikan b nib and mb b nib pens on clairefontaine, rhodia and mujii writing pad. All of them do feather and bleed.

Edited by alvarado

• 2 weeks later...

the final fate of my bottle is flushed to the toilet. this gives me a lesson that I need to get some samples before going for a whole bottle :unsure:

I use it in a Pilot C74 with a fine nib and it behaves very well on most paper for me. Soft papers dont do well with that nib so I naturally don't use them with that pen.

Great review, Thanks for the review, I have been interested in a green ink. This review helped me decide. Thanks again!

“Left-handers are wired into the artistic half of the brain, which makes them imaginative, creative, surprising, ambiguous, exasperating, stubborn, emotional, witty, obsessive, infuriating, delightful, original, but never, never, dull" James T deKay and Sandy Huffaker