Parker Duofold Big Red - Permanite

hari317

I regret, I delayed purchasing a Big Red for so long. I had bought a nice streamlined celluloid junior last year and I own a couple of modern Centennials that I like very much. I had started looking for a nice Big Red a few weeks back and noticed a nice one on ebay. Finally, I received it today, my first Big Red.

This pen is simply superb. period. Full sized pen, fits my hand perfectly and I love the large solid handsome nib. The flow is very wet, I love the pen.

Some pictures:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/BigRed/IMG_5756.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/BigRed/IMG_5759.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/BigRed/IMG_5760.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/BigRed/IMG_5761.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/BigRed/IMG_5762.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/BigRed/IMG_5763.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/BigRed/IMG_5764.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/BigRed/IMG_5765.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/BigRed/IMG_5766.jpg

The pen writes superb so far. It might need a resac sometime in the future which I will do myself.

In conclusion, I can say that this is not going to be my last Big Red, I am already on the lookout for more. The pens are not inexpensive, I paid approx 310USD ahipped for this example and I know they can be bought for much less, but I wanted to be sure about my first one. But the expense was well worth it. The construction quality of the pen is awesome but for some clip ball brassing and as far as I have experienced, the current nibs are no longer made to this standard.

Cheers!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• jar

• georges zaslavsky

• kcunvong

That's a beautiful example, Hari. Congratulations.

My own should be on its way from the UK after I purchased it last week. It's very similar to yours but it does not have the Lucky Curve banner, and it has 2 cap bands. Can't wait now that I've seen yours.

Thank you all for your kind comments!

@Mr. Ink: Do post some pictures of your Big red when you receive it.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

:notworthy1:

no words, hari. simply GREAT. you have a piece of fp history in your hand now.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

you have a piece of fp history in your hand now.

Very true Krishna, Thanks!

An incredibly handsome pen Hari.

Congratulations on the acquisition.

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

Dear Hari, I really envy you for this pen! :puddle:

Enjoy this classic beauty!:thumbup:

Best

Abhik

Great pen in great condition!!!

Congrats!!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/michelim/DSC_0157.jpg

There are only a few pens I own that garner more comments when I pull them out to sign the chit at the Quick-Stop than the Big Red, maybe my near mint Jade Sheaffer Flat top, but those two always get a standing ovation.

Great pen in great condition!!! Congrats!!

Thank you Michelim!

There are only a few pens I own that garner more comments when I pull them out to sign the chit at the Quick-Stop than the Big Red, maybe my near mint Jade Sheaffer Flat top, but those two always get a standing ovation.

Yes Jar. I own only the classic era Sheaffers and almost no vintage ones. The oversize Balance and the Flattops are on the to get list, only problem is that I find the Sheaffer lever fillers slightly difficult to operate-stabs under the fingernail.

Best

Hari

Yes Jar. I own only the classic era Sheaffers and almost no vintage ones. The oversize Balance and the Flattops are on the to get list, only problem is that I find the Sheaffer lever fillers slightly difficult to operate-stabs under the fingernail.

Best

Hari

Yup, definitely a toss up. Bamboo under the fingernails or bloody thumb from that little brass button. But they sure are pretty pens and a joy to write with.

Put a classic Conklin Endura on your list as well. Another contender in the "Wow" category.

Yup, definitely a toss up. Bamboo under the fingernails or bloody thumb from that little brass button. But they sure are pretty pens and a joy to write with.

Put a classic Conklin Endura on your list as well. Another contender in the "Wow" category.

Thankfully, no bloody thumbs yet, the pen seems to be in good nick with a crisp button action...

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the Conklin. Also some Onotos.

Thankfully, no bloody thumbs yet, the pen seems to be in good nick with a crisp button action...

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the Conklin. Also some Onotos.

The Onotos also deserve to be in there but at least all the ones I've found from that era are far more the tall slim matinee idol than the chunky hero of the Parker, Conklin, Sheaffer style.

They are sweet though. Makes me want to get one out and ink it up.

The Onotos also deserve to be in there but at least all the ones I've found from that era are far more the tall slim matinee idol than the chunky hero of the Parker, Conklin, Sheaffer style.

Aptly put Jar. The graceful aspect of the Onoto section, where it narrows down nearly equal to the width of the base of the nib and then the outward flare of the oversize nib is beautiful to behold. Do pull out those DeLaRues...

Best

Hari

congrats hari :thumbup: I own two big reds and they are among my favorite writers. Enjoy yours.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

congrats hari :thumbup: I own two big reds and they are among my favorite writers. Enjoy yours.

Thank you Georges. Another one is on its way to me as speak. Really amazing nib.