Pelikan Blue Black Discontinued In The U. S.

Black Rose

Every time I think I've found my favorite ink...

No more favorite inks for you! From now on, just LIKE them.

Oh, never mind. Just read the rest of the thread, and Pelikan will still make the ink; it will just be harder for people living in the U.S. to get it. I suppose that's fair play.

OK so I think I understand. I must only write with it instead of drinking it. That could explain a few things I've noticed...

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• Phormula

• piembi

• Black Rose

With Pel Blue-Black out of the way, what ink will take up the mantle of Most Boringist Ink Evar?!

(hey, I *like* those boring inks, bub)

With Pel Blue-Black out of the way, what ink will take up the mantle of Most Boringist Ink Evar?!

I thought that was already taken by WM Florida Blue?

I always liked how Pel BB wrote one color and dried another. It was "interactive" ink. Eventually I did get bored with it. But eventually I got bored with all blue-black inks.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

This thread title scared me for a bit :mad: Don't do that to me. :mad:

It's just the universe balancing things out. Since Noodler's is hard to find over there, Pelikan decided to shut out the US and give y'all a break on their B/B ink. :blink:

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Pelikan Blue-Black includes an ingredient not listed in the US TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act). That inventory list includes all allowed ingredients. (Must be a rather long list.) However, exclusion does not mean that PBlBk is toxic.

What ingredient is this? Is a MSDS that lists it available?

politician and idiot are synonymous terms - Mark Twain

This thread title scared me for a bit :mad: Don't do that to me. :mad:

It's just the universe balancing things out. Since Noodler's is hard to find over there, Pelikan decided to shut out the US and give y'all a break on their B/B ink. :blink:

It's still pretty unbalanced though. Now, maybe if a US authority banned J Herbin or Diamine as well, that would even things out....

Skrip Blue, I think.

of all the colors pelikan has, they decide to discontinue a classic? i'll never understand ANY company...it seems like so many companies have GREAT products, and then they discontinue them and produce something that is not as good...

Hello Jniforat,

I'm not saying that this is the case here, (although it could very well be); however, many companies discontinue successful products because of the cost to make it. Spikes in sugar commodities is what caused all of the soft drink manufacturers to switch from sugar to corn syrup back in the '80s. Good Humor's Toasted Almond bars used to be covered with a thick coating of genuine toasted almonds- now they're covered with almond flavored cookie dough crumbs.

The only other reason is the product is no longer politically correct, i.e., an environmental issue of some kind or anti-woman. :rolleyes:

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

well there have been people predicting the world would end tomorrow, maybe this was what they were referring too? :roflmho:

I hope this gets sorted out. Im not a B/B kind of guy but it sucks to see a good product get discontinued.

I'll fess up and admit to ordering a spare bottle of Pelikan Blue Black. I don't write with blue black often, but when I do I prefer Pelikan blue black. :thumbup:

Ken

Arrrrgh, Pel BB was my mediocre, non-waterproof, bone dry, super scratchy ink that I never used in any decent pens!

Now I'll have to fill my cheap pens with apple cider vinegar and copper sulfate!

Greetings all,

From what I've gathered, re-reading this thread; it sounds like Pelikan will still be making their infamous 4001 blue-black- it just won't be available in the U.S. Neither is Quink Permanent Blue- so just do what I do for that... buy it from an overseas supplier and import it yourself.

Problem solved. :D

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

... buy it from an overseas supplier and import it yourself.

I guess many suppliers will not deliver to US, to avoid issues TSCA or seeing packages returned because they cannot be cleared at the custom.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

Arrrrgh, Pel BB was my mediocre, non-waterproof, bone dry, super scratchy ink that I never used in any decent pens!

Now I'll have to fill my cheap pens with apple cider vinegar and copper sulfate!

LOL!

Yeah - Not the ink for everyone. It certainly wouldn't work in all pens - too dry. But in my vintage Pelikan that dripped ink like my dog drools for treats, it was a great ink. :thumbup:

Still, so is CdA Storm. Great ink for drooling pens.

KCat

Pelikan inks are the worst inks I've ever used! (Excluding Pelikan Brown, which I've never used).

They are boring, watery and after some months I wrote, they turned more clear. almost erased (maybe the U.V. light?!)

Rats. I finally try a sample, love it, delay in ordering a bottle, and then find yet one more favorite bites the dust.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png