Photo

I'm Contemplating Another Purple/violet Ink...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Side

Dark Side

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:20

I find myself enjoying purple/violet a lot lately. I have three great purples: Pelikan Violet, Everflo Orchid, and Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng. And I like them all for different reasons. But I feel like I'm missing a particularly spectacular shade of purple.

I've been leaning toward North African Violet, or another Noodler's because I'm very fond of the heavy saturation and vibrant color. I prefer opaque, non-shading, inks that have nice smooth, wet flow (I really wish the Noodler's American Eel series had a purple, I already have Eel Cactus Fruit).

I'd feel silly ordering just a sample of North African Violet so I thought I should ask here for suggestions. I've perused the Swab Shop over at Goulet Pens however I find purples to be the hardest to compare for some reason so I'm hoping to get some feedback from other purple ink users.

#2 Delphideo

Delphideo

Part-time Indexer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:52

I'll just share my own experiences. I've tried Sheaffer's Violet, Private Reserve's Ebony Purple and Noodler's Purple Wampum.

Sheaffer's Violet is the brightest of the three, with no shading and good drying. It's even a relaxing color to read, but I've never really felt drawn to it. I feel it lacks something that I want. As for Noodler's Purple Wampum, I love it but it has feathered regardless of all the pens, nib sizes and papers I've used, so keep that in mind. It's heavily saturated and draws a nice wet line with minimum smearing if you pass your finger through it by accident.

If you're into more darker purples Private Reserve's Ebony Purple flows nice and wet, too. On a fine nib, it almost looks like black. The downside is that it can smear even after drying for a minute.

There are others I want to try out, like Montblanc's Violet and Noodler's Nightshade. I'm hoping the Nightshade will be a good alternative to the Ebony Purple.

I also remember that one of the members who does a lot of reviews is an avid purple lover. I think it was dizzypen, I can't recall right now.
In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

#3 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Location:No one will tell me & I've never been good at geography
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:56

Hello Dark Side,

I would suggest PR Tanzanite.

All the best,

Sean :)

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org

#4 antidote3

antidote3

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:07

I've been leaning toward North African Violet, or another Noodler's because I'm very fond of the heavy saturation and vibrant color. I prefer opaque, non-shading, inks that have nice smooth, wet flow (I really wish the Noodler's American Eel series had a purple, I already have Eel Cactus Fruit).

I would suggest you get a sample of NAV.
I don't mind NAV. It is opaque, relatively non-shading, wet and smooth. I use mine on a medium nib on a TWSBI. Haven't tried to clean it yet though....
I like how it lays down a nice wet line of ink (that does not feather or bleed/showthrough). However, when it dries (on certain paper)....it has a somewhat less desirable 'chalky' appearance (for what is a better description?!). Thus the suggestion to get a sample.

#5 Trebster

Trebster

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:11

For a heavily saturated, opaque purple with no shading and excellent flow: Private Reserve Purple Mojo is your ticket.

#6 Parker Quink Turquoise

Parker Quink Turquoise

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:22

Herbin makes a nice violet/purple ink.

#7 funkypeanut

funkypeanut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:56

I second Purple Mojo. But do you want a purple that tends more toward the blue or the red? Tanzanite is way over toward the blue side. I like it, but it's not a true purple. For something eye-searing, how about Concord Grape?

#8 anaximander

anaximander

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:03

+1 Not only is their traditional Violette Pensee very nice, but they also have a dusky purple called Poussiere de Lune, which I like even more.

#9 MCWB

MCWB

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 13:34

I've recently started using Diamine Violet and Diamine Imperial Purple. Violet tends very much towards blue (but not as intense as PR Tanzanite for example). IP goes the other way, towards red. I also love Diamine Deep Magenta, but that's halfway to hot pink...

The reviews on here seem pretty good with respect to colours, but if you'd like a writing sample I can do one for you.

#10 Triplet Mom

Triplet Mom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 13:39

The new Sailor Jentle Ultramarine ink is a gorgeous deep violet color with great saturation and all of the wonderful lubricating properties Japanese inks are known for...and it is only $12.50 a bottle!
The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...

#11 niccig

niccig

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 13:48

I 'third' PR Purple Mojo. I also have Ebony Purple, and Delphideo is right, it looks black - though I've only used it in a Sailor fine nib. I'd be happy to trade some samples with you if you want.
Sample Request: I really really want to try Diamine Steel Blue. I will trade you samples!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 bridgettt

bridgettt

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:06

If you are looking for a vivid purple, then I second the recommendation for Sailor's Ultramarine. It is an intense color that I find very pleasing.

Edited by bridgettt, 18 May 2011 - 14:06.

"The pen is the tongue of the mind." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Don Quixote

#13 pelman

pelman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:10

MB violet or PR Ebony purple. I would get MB if you have the chance.

#14 torstar

torstar

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2011 - 14:20

Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Tanzanite

:thumbup:

#15 Dark Side

Dark Side

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:44

Gah, my internet was down this morning so I had to wait until after class to check this thread. I'm loving all these recommendations! I now have a cart full of ink samples over at Goulet Pens for my next order. :roflmho:

Regarding Sailor Ultramarine: I totally forgot about this ink! I'd seen swabs posted up somewhere and told myself to get some samples and then forgot about it until now.

Tanzanite is another one I'd seen mentioned a lot and forgotten about.

This is what I've got in my shopping cart over at Goulet Pens right now:

INK SAMPLE - Diamine Imperial Purple
INK SAMPLE - Private Reserve Tanzanite
INK SAMPLE - Noodler's North African Violet
INK SAMPLE - Diamine Violet
INK SAMPLE - Private Reserve Purple Mojo
INK SAMPLE - Sailor Jentle Ultra Marine
INK SAMPLE - Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape
INK SAMPLE - Noodler's Purple Wampum

Anything stand out that I'm missing?

I didn't add the Herbin inks because I've tried them and they're not my cup of tea. Poussiere de Lune is pretty enough but I prefer more vibrant colors.

Unfortunately they don't have MB Violet so I'll have to find a sample of that somewhere else but I think this is enough to get me started on my quest. :ltcapd:

#16 TWRDO

TWRDO

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 812 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:30

Diamine Majestic Purple, which was in the last Ink Drop, is pretty nice.
Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

#17 RobbW

RobbW

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:20

I LOVE Noodler's Baystate Concord: much more saturated and vivid than Kung de Cheng. Just make sure you remove all previous ink from the pen before adding Concord, and fully remove the Concord before changing to another ink. Baystate inks do not play well with others. Other than that, it's a great energetic, purple ink.

#18 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:15

+1 Not only is their traditional Violette Pensee very nice, but they also have a dusky purple called Poussiere de Lune, which I like even more.

another +

specially the violette pensee.
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#19 Trebster

Trebster

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:12

Anything stand out that I'm missing?
:ltcapd:

While Montblanc inks are not among their offerings, The Pear Tree Pen Company (no affiliation) also sells ink samples from brands including: Aurora, Omas, Visconti, R&K and Waterman.

#20 Dauphni

Dauphni

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:32

Even though you said you didn't like the Herbin, I really have to +1 Violette Pensee

On the more expensive side, I've really come to love Yama-Budo, though that is maybe a little too red for what you describe.

#21 Dark Side

Dark Side

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 16:43

Even though you said you didn't like the Herbin, I really have to +1 Violette Pensee

On the more expensive side, I've really come to love Yama-Budo, though that is maybe a little too red for what you describe.

I really want to try the Iroshizuka but I don't dare, not at their cost and excellent reputation! :roflmho: I'm too poor to play with that financial fire.

Regarding J. Herbin inks, I've tried Violette Pensee, Poussiere de Lune, and Eclad de Saphir and honestly.. they're just too blah. Not enough spark in them, not to mention none of them were what I'd call really opaque except maybe Poussiere de Lune in the right pen. The inks themselves were well behaved and all, but the J. Herbin colors just aren't for me.

#22 tnmike1

tnmike1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 17:52

I really want to try the Iroshizuka but I don't dare, not at their cost and excellent reputation! :roflmho: I'm too poor to play with that financial fire.

Regarding J. Herbin inks, I've tried Violette Pensee, Poussiere de Lune, and Eclad de Saphir and honestly.. they're just too blah. Not enough spark in them, not to mention none of them were what I'd call really opaque except maybe Poussiere de Lune in the right pen. The inks themselves were well behaved and all, but the J. Herbin colors just aren't for me.

How much purple are you using? If it isn't alot, you could order several samples of Iroshizuka from Goulet. Like, for example, four vials of one color and four of another. Would last through several fills in your pen. I've done thisbefore for several colors I don't use alot and find that's an ideal solution instead of buying large bottles that would sit unused for awhile

Edited by tnmike1, 20 May 2011 - 17:52.

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

#23 mstone

mstone

Pensive Penman

• Member - Gold

• 1,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2011 - 18:06

waterman purple is a nice, bright simply-purple purple. see also: http://www.thewritin...ink&subr=purple

#24 Alohamora

Alohamora

Inkoholic

• Member - Gold

• 838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2011 - 18:17

Noodler's La Reine Mauve is a lovely violet/purple. It's one of the bulletproof inks which makes it more expensive, maybe not justified if you don't actually need the water proof and everything-proof feature.

Mont Blanc Violet (aka Lavender Purple) is another great one, more violet than purple.

Sailor Ultramarine is great, definitely on the bluish side. I'm really impressed with the quality of all the Sailor inks I've tried.

And you all ready have another of my favorites, Pelikan Violet.

#25 usqview

usqview

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 18:17

PR Plum! Not quite a true purple but very nice and highly saturated.

#26 Dark Side

Dark Side

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 19:23

How much purple are you using? If it isn't alot, you could order several samples of Iroshizuka from Goulet. Like, for example, four vials of one color and four of another. Would last through several fills in your pen. I've done thisbefore for several colors I don't use alot and find that's an ideal solution instead of buying large bottles that would sit unused for awhile

I've considered doing this for the more expensive inks, but then I worry that I'll like it so much I'll use it a lot and then I'll be stuck buying a $30 bottle of ink, which I've already done once with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng (though at least it's a 4.5 oz bottle rather than a 30ml :yikes: ). I could see myself getting drawn into Iroshizuka way too easily. :doh: My solution? Avoid them until I'm out of university and into a real paying job.

I keep hearing a lot about Montblanc Violet, next time I make a purchase from a site that carries this ink I'll have to order a bottle.

Private Reserve Plum looks like a darker version of Noodler's Eel Cactus Fruit, I may have to try that! Cactus Fruit is my all time favorite... fuchsia? pink? eye-searing color?

#27 soleilo

soleilo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:10

I ditto the Waterman purple. I use it in all my old pens and it looks different in each one, from the safety pen, lever filled, to piston (and each pen is a fine or extra fine point) but I love this ink and it's a comforting color to me.

#28 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Antique

• Moderators

• 2,380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2011 - 17:10

I'm all about De Atramentis Aubergine. I think it is a highly underrated ink. :)

where to get the ink & info about my reviews!

KWS-flyingwhale-small_zps5c2158cd.jpg

now on Tomoe River paper!

#29 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2011 - 18:30

I'm a fan of Montblanc Violet/Lavender Purple, which is redder than most purples I have and well-behaved as MB inks generally are.

PR Ebony Purple is a good ink to get if you want something that's really unlike anything else, too.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#30 liapuyat

liapuyat

Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• 897 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:19

And now there's the Goulet Pens exclusive, Noodler's Purple Heart - it's marketed as a lubricating ink.
"Luxe, calme et volupte"