I'm Contemplating Another Purple/violet Ink...

Dark Side

I find myself enjoying purple/violet a lot lately. I have three great purples: Pelikan Violet, Everflo Orchid, and Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng. And I like them all for different reasons. But I feel like I'm missing a particularly spectacular shade of purple.

I've been leaning toward North African Violet, or another Noodler's because I'm very fond of the heavy saturation and vibrant color. I prefer opaque, non-shading, inks that have nice smooth, wet flow (I really wish the Noodler's American Eel series had a purple, I already have Eel Cactus Fruit).

I'd feel silly ordering just a sample of North African Violet so I thought I should ask here for suggestions. I've perused the Swab Shop over at Goulet Pens however I find purples to be the hardest to compare for some reason so I'm hoping to get some feedback from other purple ink users.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dark Side

• Trebster

• Alohamora

• Parker Quink Turquoise

I'll just share my own experiences. I've tried Sheaffer's Violet, Private Reserve's Ebony Purple and Noodler's Purple Wampum.

Sheaffer's Violet is the brightest of the three, with no shading and good drying. It's even a relaxing color to read, but I've never really felt drawn to it. I feel it lacks something that I want. As for Noodler's Purple Wampum, I love it but it has feathered regardless of all the pens, nib sizes and papers I've used, so keep that in mind. It's heavily saturated and draws a nice wet line with minimum smearing if you pass your finger through it by accident.

If you're into more darker purples Private Reserve's Ebony Purple flows nice and wet, too. On a fine nib, it almost looks like black. The downside is that it can smear even after drying for a minute.

There are others I want to try out, like Montblanc's Violet and Noodler's Nightshade. I'm hoping the Nightshade will be a good alternative to the Ebony Purple.

I also remember that one of the members who does a lot of reviews is an avid purple lover. I think it was dizzypen, I can't recall right now.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

Hello Dark Side,

I would suggest PR Tanzanite.

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I've been leaning toward North African Violet, or another Noodler's because I'm very fond of the heavy saturation and vibrant color. I prefer opaque, non-shading, inks that have nice smooth, wet flow (I really wish the Noodler's American Eel series had a purple, I already have Eel Cactus Fruit).

I would suggest you get a sample of NAV.

I don't mind NAV. It is opaque, relatively non-shading, wet and smooth. I use mine on a medium nib on a TWSBI. Haven't tried to clean it yet though....

I like how it lays down a nice wet line of ink (that does not feather or bleed/showthrough). However, when it dries (on certain paper)....it has a somewhat less desirable 'chalky' appearance (for what is a better description?!). Thus the suggestion to get a sample.

For a heavily saturated, opaque purple with no shading and excellent flow: Private Reserve Purple Mojo is your ticket.

Herbin makes a nice violet/purple ink.

I second Purple Mojo. But do you want a purple that tends more toward the blue or the red? Tanzanite is way over toward the blue side. I like it, but it's not a true purple. For something eye-searing, how about Concord Grape?

+1 Not only is their traditional Violette Pensee very nice, but they also have a dusky purple called Poussiere de Lune, which I like even more.

I've recently started using Diamine Violet and Diamine Imperial Purple. Violet tends very much towards blue (but not as intense as PR Tanzanite for example). IP goes the other way, towards red. I also love Diamine Deep Magenta, but that's halfway to hot pink...

The reviews on here seem pretty good with respect to colours, but if you'd like a writing sample I can do one for you.

The new Sailor Jentle Ultramarine ink is a gorgeous deep violet color with great saturation and all of the wonderful lubricating properties Japanese inks are known for...and it is only $12.50 a bottle!

The search for the perfect blue ink is a delicious and endless quest...

I 'third' PR Purple Mojo. I also have Ebony Purple, and Delphideo is right, it looks black - though I've only used it in a Sailor fine nib. I'd be happy to trade some samples with you if you want.

Sample Request: I really really want to try Diamine Steel Blue. I will trade you samples!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3937/paperzu3.png

If you are looking for a vivid purple, then I second the recommendation for Sailor's Ultramarine. It is an intense color that I find very pleasing.

Edited by bridgettt

"The pen is the tongue of the mind." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Don Quixote

Gah, my internet was down this morning so I had to wait until after class to check this thread. I'm loving all these recommendations! I now have a cart full of ink samples over at Goulet Pens for my next order. :roflmho:

Regarding Sailor Ultramarine: I totally forgot about this ink! I'd seen swabs posted up somewhere and told myself to get some samples and then forgot about it until now.

Tanzanite is another one I'd seen mentioned a lot and forgotten about.

This is what I've got in my shopping cart over at Goulet Pens right now:

INK SAMPLE - Diamine Imperial Purple

INK SAMPLE - Private Reserve Tanzanite

INK SAMPLE - Noodler's North African Violet

INK SAMPLE - Diamine Violet

INK SAMPLE - Private Reserve Purple Mojo

INK SAMPLE - Sailor Jentle Ultra Marine

INK SAMPLE - Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape

INK SAMPLE - Noodler's Purple Wampum

Anything stand out that I'm missing?

I didn't add the Herbin inks because I've tried them and they're not my cup of tea. Poussiere de Lune is pretty enough but I prefer more vibrant colors.

Unfortunately they don't have MB Violet so I'll have to find a sample of that somewhere else but I think this is enough to get me started on my quest. :ltcapd:

Diamine Majestic Purple, which was in the last Ink Drop, is pretty nice.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

I LOVE Noodler's Baystate Concord: much more saturated and vivid than Kung de Cheng. Just make sure you remove all previous ink from the pen before adding Concord, and fully remove the Concord before changing to another ink. Baystate inks do not play well with others. Other than that, it's a great energetic, purple ink.

+1 Not only is their traditional Violette Pensee very nice, but they also have a dusky purple called Poussiere de Lune, which I like even more.

another +

specially the violette pensee.

Anything stand out that I'm missing?

:ltcapd:

While Montblanc inks are not among their offerings, The Pear Tree Pen Company (no affiliation) also sells ink samples from brands including: Aurora, Omas, Visconti, R&K and Waterman.

Even though you said you didn't like the Herbin, I really have to +1 Violette Pensee

On the more expensive side, I've really come to love Yama-Budo, though that is maybe a little too red for what you describe.