Demonstrators: Pelikan M1005 Vs. Aurora Optima

Jonst

I recently acquired two demonstrators and thought I ought to offer a review since I only discovered these pens with the help of FPN! In some ways it is a slightly unfair to compare these two pens because of the difference in size. A better comparison might be with the Pelikan M800 demonstrator but since I don't own the M800 it would be difficult for me to write such a review!

1. Initial Impressions

1.1 Aurora - the Aurora comes in a heavy, attractive wooden box with brass fittings which gives the immediate impression that the pen will be something a bit special. The pen is accompanied by a bottle of ink and the usual instructions.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators002.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators003.jpg

1.2 Pelikan - the packaging of the Pelikan is a little disappointing by comparison in that it is really a glorified cardboard box, albeit it is a nice touch to have a clear lid so that you can see the pen shining out at you! Again the pen is accompanied by the usual instructions but there is no ink provided.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators005.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators006.jpg

To be honest, whilst the Optima's lovely box is nice to have and creates a bit of a "wow" factor when you first open it, packaging is not really important to me since it will just sit in a cupboard somewhere and pens.

2. Appearance and Design

2.1 Aurora - both the Aurora and the Pelikan seem to be made of the same sort of clear acrylic and both have the same clean, modern appearance which is accentuated by the white metal fittings. The Aurora seems to have more of the piston mechanim on view than the Pelikan, which makes it a little more interesting to look at. As does the "Aurora" name etched into the side of the barrel and the lovely curved clip on the cap (which feels pretty substantial). The Aurora also benefits from the hidden ink resevoir which should allow for a further page of writing when the tank otherwise seems empty. I think this is really clever and is likely to be useful to me since I spend lots of time in meetings away from a source of ink!

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators001.jpg

2.2 Pelikan - The Pelikan has a simpler more "no nonsense" appearance, particularly because the piston mechanism is covered by a silver coloured case.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators008.jpg

My preference is for the slightly more elaborate Aurora design but the straight forward, industrial design on the Pelikan is also great to look at. Of course, with both demonstrators, the real joy of the design is being able to see the ink in the barrel and particularly when the ink has a bit of vibrancy like this Diamine Imperial Purple! I have Kelly Green in the Aurora.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators014.jpg

3. Construction and Quality

3.1 Aurora - both pens feel well made when you first pick them up. As I have mentioned, the design features on the Aurora such as the curvaceous clip and the large silver coloured rim at the bottom of the cap give a real impression of quality.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators004.jpg

3.2 Pelikan - The Pelikan is noticeably longer and heavier than the Aurora. I assume the difference in weight is mainly due to the brass piston mechanism. In any event the extra size and weight gives the Pelikan a feeling of substance which is a bit lacking in the Aurora.

4. Weight and Dimensions

I don't have the exact figures for these demonstrators but the figures for the standard pens are as follows and I assume that there is not much, if any, difference with the demonstrators:

4.1 Aurora - 129mm capped and 21.3 grams

4.2 Pelikan - 147mm capped and 32.8 grams

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators011.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators009.jpg

5. Nib and Performance

5.1 Aurora - one of the reasons I wanted to buy the Aurora was the good things I had heard about their nibs. The nib on this demonstrator doesn't disappoint. It wrote wonderfully smoothly right out of the box. It is slightly on the wet side; probably 6 out of 10. Although it is a fine nib, I can't detect much in the way of feedback/friction, which I understand is a characteristic of Aurora nibs.

5.2 Pelikan - The Aurora has a large nib but it almost pales into insignificance next to the Pelikan. The truth is that the Pelikan is really a shovel, not a nib, and if we have another bad winter in the UK I am going to use it to clear snow from our driveway, and it feels as though it could take the punishment in its stride! The Pelikan also has a fine nib but it is even wetter than the Aurora. As has been noted on the Pelikan forum, Pelikan fine nibs are not particularly fine and would probably amount to a medium for other brands.

6. Filling System and Maintenance

Both pens are piston fillers with not much to choose between them in terms of smoothness of the piston mechanism.

With both pens it is possible to simply unscrew the nib unit. I think this is likely to be particularly important with demonstrators since I imagine that I will need to clean them out pretty regularly to help maintain their appearance.

7. Cost and Value

7.1 Aurora - the Aurora was $580 including postage and duty from Madrid to the UK and it came from Iguana Sell. I think the list price is around $800. I think that is far too much for this pen but I think it is worth what I paid.

7.2 Pelikan - the Pelikan was $515 including postage from the US to the UK and it came from Pam Braun. It is definitely worth this price!

Both sellers provided excellent and speedy service and I think that both deserve their excellent reputations for price and turn around of delivery.

8. Conclusion

I am a real convert to demonstrators and I love both pens. The design touches of the Aurora make it look special while the Pelikan benefits from its size and substance. If I was forced to choose between the two of them I would probably go for.....

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/GWIS/Demonstrators/Demonstrators013.jpg

Best wishes

Jon

Edited by Jonst

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonst

• Blade Runner

• kushbaby

• fabrimedeiros

That's a great review with good pictures. Is it my imagination or is the silver on the Pelikan more silvery than the Aurora? Or is it just reflecting something?

Thanks Breaker and Ouroboros.

I think both pens have the same silver finish, it's just the light which makes them look different.

Regards

Jon

Thanks for the great review. As a point of clarification if I'm not mistaken, that is not an original box of Aurora, since the demonstrator normally comes in the high tech silver one.

I'm not much for clear pens, but if I got one for keeps it would be one of these two. Thanks for the lovely comparison review!

I found this review *extremely* useful. I just received my Pelikan M1005 today, and I adore it (though it's not a surprise, since I really like the non-demo version of the pen and had been wishing there were more options, appearance-wise).

Then again, perhaps I should curse you for pointing out a pen I do *not* have that now I want. (sigh)

:::kushbaby gets out her pen and adds the Aurora demonstrator to the wish list of pens:::

:notworthy1:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

thanks for the review :thumbup: I personally prefer the pelikan m1005 over the aurora for its better nib quality and bigger ink capacity.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thanks for the great review. As a point of clarification if I'm not mistaken, that is not an original box of Aurora, since the demonstrator normally comes in the high tech silver one.

Thanks Ilya72. I was expecting the silver box and not the brown wooden one but the outer cardboard carton has a large Aurora printed sticker on it indicating that it is the Demonstrator model. The pen came with Demonstrator branded instructions and ink. I have also seen pictures on the web showing the Demonstrator with this brown box, so who knows. In any event, the brown wooden box is the nicest pen box I have received so I am not complaining!

Best wishes

Jon

I'm not much for clear pens, but if I got one for keeps it would be one of these two. Thanks for the lovely comparison review!

Thanks bphollin!

Best wishes

Jon

I found this review *extremely* useful. I just received my Pelikan M1005 today, and I adore it (though it's not a surprise, since I really like the non-demo version of the pen and had been wishing there were more options, appearance-wise).

Then again, perhaps I should curse you for pointing out a pen I do *not* have that now I want. (sigh)

:::kushbaby gets out her pen and adds the Aurora demonstrator to the wish list of pens:::

Thanks Kushbaby.

Which nib did you get?

The Aurora is lovely and would be close to perfection if it had a little more heft.

Take care

Jon

Great review and very helpful photographs. I own both the red and silver version of the Aurora demonstrator and the Pelikan M800 demo, so it's fair to say that I'm a bit of a fan! I've been trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on the M1005 and your review has eased me another inch towards it - which isn't great for my finances. One question I have concerns its balance and the degree to which the piston makes it back heavy. My M800 demo is slightly lighter than the standard M800, due, as far as I can tell, to the cut away on the piston. It's only a couple of grammes but it makes for a better balanced pen. I wondered whether you, or any other owner, can comment on whether the M1005 is any different to the standard M1000 in that respect?

As a general all round, everyday pen I think the Aurora Optima takes a lot of beating. It works great, is very comfortable, and the size is 'normal' - there's nothing too extreme about it. I figure the M1005 is going to be more likely to divide opinion so it's interesting that you prefer it. The only issue I have with the demo version of the Optima is that the ink window is effectively superfluous. That's the one element of the Pelikan design that really works better for me and makes for a neater looking pen.

But, hey, they're both pretty amazing!

Thanks for taking the trouble to review them both.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

thanks for the review :thumbup: I personally prefer the pelikan m1005 over the aurora for its better nib quality and bigger ink capacity.

i'm not so convinced that pelikan nibs are better than auroras...

...more kills the pen than the sword ... as long as the nib is very sharp ....

Wow, thanks for the nice review.

Thanks Jon, It was your review of the red tipped Optima that helped me to get mine!

Georges, personnally I prefer the nib on the Optima. I think it looks nicer and the ink flow is more to my liking, its just that,overall, I prefer the size of the Pelikan and that's what swings it for me in favour of the Pelikan if I had to choose (which fortunately I don't!).

Thanks SlipyNaricis2112.

Thanks Painterspal. Your review of your various Optimas was the other reason I got mine so I don't feel guilty if you now feel compelled to get the M1005! In your experience of the various demonstrators, have you noticed any staining of the inside of the barrel or are there any other issues which I should be aware of as a new demonstrator owner?

I don't have an M1000 so I'm afraid that I can't offer a comparison (Kushbaby might be able to help you with this). The brass piston mechanism does make the M1005 feel slightly top heavy but not uncomfortably so for me.

Best wishes

Jon

Thanks Kushbaby.

Which nib did you get?

The Aurora is lovely and would be close to perfection if it had a little more heft.

Take care

Jon

I love the heft of the M1000 series. I got one with their amazing EF nib. :cloud9: Here's a writing sample:

fpn_1305587521__m1005orange.jpg

Kushbaby

Great review and very helpful photographs. I own both the red and silver version of the Aurora demonstrator and the Pelikan M800 demo, so it's fair to say that I'm a bit of a fan! I've been trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on the M1005 and your review has eased me another inch towards it - which isn't great for my finances. One question I have concerns its balance and the degree to which the piston makes it back heavy. My M800 demo is slightly lighter than the standard M800, due, as far as I can tell, to the cut away on the piston. It's only a couple of grammes but it makes for a better balanced pen. I wondered whether you, or any other owner, can comment on whether the M1005 is any different to the standard M1000 in that respect?

As a general all round, everyday pen I think the Aurora Optima takes a lot of beating. It works great, is very comfortable, and the size is 'normal' - there's nothing too extreme about it. I figure the M1005 is going to be more likely to divide opinion so it's interesting that you prefer it. The only issue I have with the demo version of the Optima is that the ink window is effectively superfluous. That's the one element of the Pelikan design that really works better for me and makes for a neater looking pen.

But, hey, they're both pretty amazing!

Thanks for taking the trouble to review them both.

Both the M1000 and the M1005 feel the same to me. (I don't post my pens, except little mini pens, which this *isn't*...)

Kushbaby

Thanks Painterspal. Your review of your various Optimas was the other reason I got mine so I don't feel guilty if you now feel compelled to get the M1005! In your experience of the various demonstrators, have you noticed any staining of the inside of the barrel or are there any other issues which I should be aware of as a new demonstrator owner?

Best wishes

Jon

Touché! :thumbup:

Glad the review was helpful!

I'm afraid staining is pretty much a fact of life with demonstrators. Even if you're incredibly careful and meticulous about flushing them out, you'll eventually get some. Some inks are better than others - the more neutral, less saturated ones are generally the way to go - but it's hard to keep the pen perfect. The only way I know is not to use it! It's an issue that troubled me initially, but now I just use the pens and don't worry too much. The piston part of my Auroras seems to be the only bit that has discoloured so far (thankfully only very slightly) - presumably because it's a softer material. Not staining exactly, but Pelikans have an annoying little recess in the section that traps ink. There are threads here somewhere that discuss how to remove it. Ink also finds its way between the nib/feed unit and section on both pens - again hard to avoid unless you remove the nib and fill with an eye dropper, which rather defeats the whole object of having a piston!

M1005... must resist, must resist...

Edited by Painterspal

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Thanks Kushbaby.

Which nib did you get?

Take care

Jon

Dear Jon,

Your review and photos are excellent. What was the nib size of your Aurora ?