Anyone Tried Lost Crates?

StyloBug33

Lost Crates

This looks really fun. It looks like you sign up for an account, pay a monthly fee, and get a surprise package in the mail filled with paper, pens and similar fun things. I am just wondering if anyone has tried it.

I suppose, if I must, I could be the guinea pig for everyone and try it out :thumbup:

It's a good excuse, anyway.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chief Crate Officer

• StyloBug33

• GreenVelvet

• vans4444

Ooo! That looks neat! If I could spare the extra cost every month I would totally go for it! Alas... My college budget is vastly overspent on tuition and what little I scrounge up goes to more inks. :gaah:

I'm in too. It looks like each person gets something different, so it will be fun to see what comes.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

Hi!

I saw this thread about Lost Crates and wanted to introduce myself, as I am the co-founder of said company. I've actually been checking out the fountainpennetwork.com as a non-participant for the last several days as I scour various places for great products to put in our crates. I am thrilled that a couple of you have signed up and would love to hear any and all feedback from you about the experience. Please feel free to email me directly at danny@lostcrates.com (Chief Crate Officer is just a fun alias). Furthermore, as many members of this discussion board are so knowledgeable about a vast array of products, I ask that you let me know if you have any ideas for products to include. We want to provide a blend of brands already established in the US with small shops and companies that lack a significant US presence. We are making great progress with our inventory currently, but we are always open to feedback and suggestions. Again, we are really excited about our company and having customers like you - so please don't hesitate to send me an email.

Thanks!

Danny

Interesting concept. I think I'd rather pay $38 per month on whatever stationery items I choose at the time, but for people who really like surprises in the mail, it seems pretty neat.

I think Danny makes the point above on what interested me: the chance to try products I wouldn't otherwise consider. I'm an unabashed Rhodia fan, so when I'm looking for a paper I'm most likely to look at Exaclair's site to see if I can find what I need, or what I can adapt to my needs, before looking elsewhere. It's sort of like the Ink Drop in that most months I don't find inks of interest, but every now and then one bowls me over. Again I'll see how it goes.

And welcome to Danny. You can probably count on seeing reviews of your items here on FPN, especially the more unusual ones. We can be brutal, but we look out for each other. Love it or hate it well always let you know what we think.

Huh. It actually does look pretty cool.

I'll be excited to hear what people have to say about it. The graphic design of the site seems great and the personality quiz is cool. I like that the packages are customized.

It seems like exactly the sort of thing I shouldn't do (accumulate paper products for the sake of accumulating paper products), but it is tempting.

... and the personality quiz is cool.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess... I was actually considering it before I clicked that personality quiz. I found it rather insipid, and thought for almost all of the items that I'd rather pick "none of the above."

Like the others, though, I'm curious to see what you get out of the deal if you do sign up.

... and the personality quiz is cool.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess... I was actually considering it before I clicked that personality quiz. I found it rather insipid, and thought for almost all of the items that I'd rather pick "none of the above."

Like the others, though, I'm curious to see what you get out of the deal if you do sign up.

I was signing up but got turned off by the quiz as well. I didn't feel like I was best described by the choices either. I was also very insulted that no American car was there to choose. Thought about e-mailing them about that. I know it's silly to some but important to me...

Hint lostcrates: swap the subaru for an explorer...or something.

Having said all of that I am quite curious how this works out for those that did join. I could still be persuaded to try it.

I really liked it, other than wishing the personality quiz was cleverer, but when the deal was spelled out at the end I was offended.

A marketing technique I have a particular aversion to is to make the potential buyer invest time and effort in something, utilizing cognitive dissonance to cause him to increase his valuation of the product. Once I have made a significant investment of time and effort, it would be dissonant to realize the object was not worth my effort, and this colors more favorably my perception of its value.

That is why those magazine contest offers have us pouring over a bunch of brightly colored stamps, and searching for the right box to cut and paste the right stamp in. I am not saying that this was the marketing intention, but that was how it came across to me.

At at the end, I was offered "a pig in a poke" without a guarantee.

I apologize if I "disremember" the details of the offer, but I don't believe there is a provision for refunds for dissatisfaction.

It would be a great deal if one could return unwanted packages. Even better, make the offer

"cancel any time and keep the last package free. You have nothing to lose."

I would have no sales resistance to that offer, and unless the packages were offensively inane, I would be happy to be surprised each month.

There are good surprises and bad surprises. Fear of the surprise of being ripped-off was the deal breaker. Not because of the money, obviously this deal is for people who have discretionary funds for non-essential addictions hobbies. But the fear of being surprised by junk keeps me from signing up. Not because of the expense, but because I would feel embarrassed of being so foolish.

Sorry to be such a cynic.:embarrassed_smile:

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Well, I had no fear of being ripped off. I have been a member of of a cross-stitch Fabric of the Month club for years (really need to stop that one, SABLE has long since been reached) and am currently doing Ink Drop. But like Green Velvet and WinBagel, the quiz was a deal breaker. I didn't like ANY of the choices for ANY of the questions, but the TV shows were the last straw. I wouldn't be caught dead watching any of them. If this quiz was designed by a marketing expert, they failed. And this led me to fear that if their tastes ran to the TV shows, bags and cars pictured, I would also hate what was in the crate.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Well I missed this month's cut-off of the 15th, so would someone please let us know what the next crate contains? I'd love to give it a go too, but I have so many unused journals and notebooks stored up already, I'd love to know that there would be more of a diversified list of crate items then just notebooks..

As for the quiz, I agree, they could really do without it and maybe replace it with a feedback form of different paper and office supply companies around the world.

Take care,

Tim Verpoorten (Surfbits)

http://www.surfbits.com : Blog

http://www.macreviewcast.com : Podcast

I thought that this sounded fun, but I was surprised that there weren't concrete examples of items they had sent in the past. The FAQ says that they ship one to four items per month. I don't want to pay $38/month to get a 12-pack of Bic crystals and a composition book -- and no guarantee if what they send isn't up to par. I also agree with the above posters about the quiz. There simply weren't any choices that applied to me for most questions or enough information about how they pick the items for the boxes. The television shows WERE all just terrible, and the clothes were yawn-worthy. I'd be more comfortable if it gave me pics of 4 pens or notebooks and asked me which I preferred. Or even asking me if I'm a FP, ballpoint or rollerball sort of person. At least with ink drop there are parameters that let the client know what the $10/month will get.

Danny, I appreciate that you dropped by to ask us for ideas. I hope that the feedback helps. Will someone who signed up for it please let us know what comes in the first box? Thanks!

And this led me to fear that if their tastes ran to the TV shows, bags and cars pictured, I would also hate what was in the crate.

True that!

Then you cancel the first time. Its no different than ordering a meal you've never tried and being disappointed with it.

Well, I think it looks fun. I didn't think the personality quiz was great, but I didn't find it offensive. I also wrote quite a bit in the comments section so they would get a sense of what I like. I am sure that some of what is sent won't be to my liking, but I am pretty sure those things will at least make good gifts.

I think it is a neat idea. Sometimes I think all I ever buy is black notebooks, so some variety will be a good thing. And I have seen lots of things like this where you sign up for something that comes every month, but usually it is for children. I think we belonged to the Lego Club for a while, and every month a surprise lego set would show up. Why not something similar for paper and pen products?

Edited by StyloBug33

-Bill Waterson

Well, I think it looks fun. I didn't think the personality quiz was great, but I didn't find it offensive. I also wrote quite a bit in the comments section so they would get a sense of what I like. I am sure that some of what is sent won't be to my liking, but I am pretty sure those things will at least make good gifts.

I think it is a neat idea. Sometimes I think all I ever buy is black notebooks, so some variety will be a good thing. And I have seen lots of things like this where you sign up for something that comes every month, but usually it is for children. I think we belonged to the Lego Club for a while, and every month a surprise lego set would show up. Why not something similar for paper and pen products?

Agreed, a little bit of randomness makes it interesting and I'm looking forward to see what they send, which I think is the point. I'll give it a try for awhile to see how it goes.

I was tempted for a few seconds and then thought better of it.

Firstly, I assume they do not deliver to the UK.

Secondly I wanted to take the quiz first, not after I set up an account. If the quiz is poor I would not want to have an account.

Thirdly, the pictures of example boxes were not encouraging. I already have more ballpoints and pencils that I know what to do with, so a few more would be a valueless addition to my collection. Also there were quite a few note books in some of the boxes. I certainly do not need a couple of new notebooks each month.

Personally I think it would be worth it if the box contained just one or two quality items. Also, for me I would have to be able to put in background information, like "no rollerballs or ballpoints of any description, ever"

I collect fountain pens so I'm well acquainted with buying and accumulating things I don't *need*. This scheme I would describe as buying and accumulating things you don't even *want*.