Where To Buy Affordable Vintage Flex?

tweexcore

The very kind antiques pen seller at the Art Brown pen fair let me try out quite a few lovely flexible vintage pens today for the first time, and now I am a bit enamored yet at a loss, as every pen I tried cost well into the hundreds of dollars. I would really my own vintage flexi pen--but where to look and what to look for? I am looking for something below $100, with a fair amount of flex. I prefer small and slender pens and am slightly picky about appearance. I like marbled celluloid finishes, but perhaps that's too much to ask.

I would love some more information on where/what/how much on vintage pens. Brands, specific models, what to look for, where to buy and price points would all really really help!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• djkpens

• tweexcore

• discopig

Your quest may prove illusive, because the only real flexible nibs can be more commonly found for use in dip pens. Manufacturers of fountain pens since the turn of the 20th century designed pens for not only portability but to be durable. A true flex can only be achieved using steel, to make them more attractive and corrosion reistent gold plating was used. Even these proved to fail and frequently replaced, or owners purchased a new pen.

The "Grail" pen a lot of members are seeking can only be obtained by sending nibs to "Nib Meisters" who can grind a nib to achieve a compromise flex.

I've been using pens for over 65 years, some I inherited from relatives who had bought them from the well known quality makers. I've yet to find a semi flex or true flex nib.

The only manufacturers who have come near to achieving a durable semi flex nib are the Japanese. I recently bought a fountain pen on ebay by a pen maker named Kutsawa under the name "Hoover". The nib has exceptionally long tines. It is a very attractively made pen, although the company has long since since ceased.

There is a similar set on ebay a seller has been trying sell for $75.00 {I got mine for $10.00}. You might like to take a look at it under Kutsawa.

I suspect Art Brown's vintage pen nibs have been "Tuned" to cater to those seeking a flexible nib.

What I've cited is only my personal experience, there will probably be others who have discovered what you're looking for.

Best wishes,

Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Swan pens have full flex nibs, 'flexi', and semi-flex. Restored and pretty are going to cost more than $100. Black can be had for @ that price.

I have a lot @ 32 of semi-flex German pens and 7-8 slightly flexible/'flexi' German pens.

A full flex and a wet noodle.

I think Pickwick and I have completely different definitions of flex.

What sort of ' :gaah: :bonk: :gaah: flexi pen do you want?

Semi flex, Some what flexible/'flexi', Full Flex/super flex, Wet Noodle or Weak Kneed Wet Noodle.

Outside of Swan

For a semi-flex a Pelikan 140 is good.

For slightly flexible/'flexi' Osmia with a Supra Nib, buy them cheap needing re-corking on German Ebay.

Waterman 52? has flexible nibs.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Full flex of a nib is when th tines split apart when pressure is applied to obtain a broad width of a letter on the down stroke. Swan did offer different nibs according to preference. Idid have a Waterman's "Ideal" eyedropper with a very flexible 14K nib, I had inherited from a relative purchased in 1910. Unfortunately the nib split in half. I didn't think about German manufacturers, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made a good durable felxible nib.

I'm afraid my definition goes along with my age, my relatives using dip pens in the late part of the 19th century and on into the Edwardian era! I'm probably prejuduced.

Wistfully sighing,

Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

The one I really liked was an Eversharp Stenographer's pen? I think it had a fair amount of flex. I'm really not looking for a dip pen level nib, as I've tried that and found it really hard to write, but something that isn't too hard to get line variation from that can be used as an everyday writer, too.

Full flex and at the same time clean and free of issues enough to serve as a everyday writer?

Sure, but most of them will be more than $100, especially if you are appearance- picky.

Check the sites of Mauricio Aguilar ( FPN member): http://www.vintagepen.net/ and Ross McKinney (http://www.rosspens.com/).

Also interesting: Rick Propas (http://www.thepengui.../home/home.html) and the several vendors under penboard (some of them are FPN members): http://www.penboard.de/shop/

Sometimes great pens can be purchased right here.

Good luck

Edited by handwriter

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

Speaking from experience, if you want vintage flex under $100, you're going to have to sacrifice in the looks dept. unless you happen upon a deal. My small collection of pens is pretty fugly overall, but then, my writing is beautiful :blush:

I have found that flex pens are less expensive at Pen Shows and you can try the pen before purchase.

Full flex and at the same time clean and free of issues enough to serve as a everyday writer? Sure, but most of them will be more than $100, especially if you are appearance- picky.Check the sites of Mauricio Aguilar ( FPN member): http://www.vintagepen.net/ and Ross McKinney (http://www.rosspens.com/).Also interesting: Rick Propas (http://www.thepengui.../home/home.html) and the several vendors under penboard (some of them are FPN members): http://www.penboard.de/shop/Sometimes great pens can be purchased right here.Good luck

I went over to the different sites mentioned. I just saw some "German no name" pens with flexible nibs selling for $95 at thepenguinpen.com. Check out the "Others" category.

Regards,

Issy

Prowl Ebay for beat up Waterman 52's with flexi nibs.

Lots of them out there and if you don't mind the chasing worn off, or faded brown or with a cap lip crack/chunk gone you can easily get under $100, maybe under $50

Not pretty, but great user flexis here.

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Another vote for Swan.

Swan pens with flexy nibs are common on ebay UK and usually in decent condition. The sac replacement is an easy task in these pens and the prices are reasonable, sometimes very cheap. :thumbup:

You said you liked an Esterbrook, and that you like slender pens. Get an LJ, the slender version of the J. You should be able to get one that is in nice shape with a new sac for $50 or less. If you aren't too picky, you can get a nice looking one for that price. (Yes; you've got to look around a bit. If you look on flea-bay, it will take longer. Look for Estie sellers here.) Don't worry about the nib. Then, look on the sites that offer ReNew Point nibs. More than one of these have the 9048 (extra flexible fine) 9128 (extra flexible extra fine) or 9788 (extra flexible medium) for $50 or less. Put the flexible nib in the LJ, and you've got your nice looking, slender, vintage Esterbrook with a flexible nib, and you paid $100 or less for it.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

I've gotten most of my vintage flex pens cheap on Ebay -- and some even cheaper at flea markets. It's good to be able to re-sac your own pens and do minor nib adjustments if your are on a super-tight budget. I'm not too fussy about looks... more focused on how the pen writes. Wahl ringtops are my favorite for flex fountian pens. I like Watermans too.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4768683908_64d81fb298_b.jpg

Edited by jbb

The one I really liked was an Eversharp Stenographer's pen? I think it had a fair amount of flex. I'm really not looking for a dip pen level nib, as I've tried that and found it really hard to write, but something that isn't too hard to get line variation from that can be used as an everyday writer, too.

Laura..Consider ..Waterman..Conklin..Wahl-Evrshp....et alii..have some patience and perserverance and you will find what you want...I

did a quick search..found at Richard Binders' site a BCHR Waterman 42 1/2 v ringtop with a flexie nib..which sold for under a C-note and

properly restored to writing condition...

Fred

ask pier gustafson --or david nishamura

-----------

its about the nib

if you like some kind of celluloid

fit in a warranted 14k

suggestions about waterman no 2 are good [52]

--------

suggestion no 2 -------- spend $$$$$$$ or spend the time finding a cheepo

The very kind antiques pen seller at the Art Brown pen fair let me try out quite a few lovely flexible vintage pens today for the first time, and now I am a bit enamored yet at a loss, as every pen I tried cost well into the hundreds of dollars. I would really my own vintage flexi pen--but where to look and what to look for? I am looking for something below $100, with a fair amount of flex. I prefer small and slender pens and am slightly picky about appearance. I like marbled celluloid finishes, but perhaps that's too much to ask.

I would love some more information on where/what/how much on vintage pens. Brands, specific models, what to look for, where to buy and price points would all really really help!

I find the most flexible pens are ladies pens- smaller sizes- and from the 1920's and before especially. If you serf antique stores often enough, eventually you will find one. It will probably need re sac ing but it is easy to learn how to do that yourself. As someone else said, later Eversharp pens often have flexible nibs too. You can test them in the field by pressing the nib to your thumbnail to see if it flexes or not.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Prowl Ebay for beat up Waterman 52's with flexi nibs.

Lots of them out there and if you don't mind the chasing worn off, or faded brown or with a cap lip crack/chunk gone you can easily get under $100, maybe under $50

Not pretty, but great user flexis here.

Having gone that route myself, I'd say that's definitely worth a shot. Just bear in mind that it is crapshoot in terms of the degree of flex you may end up with in the #2 nib. If you are prepared to pick up more than one or better yet actually have use for a semi-flex nib should you end up with one I'd say go for it.

Edited by lamder

you can try fitting a flexi nib into a a colored pen you like

---------------

the REAL FLEX NIBS -- dip pens -the super thin long tines no irridium

in gold ----extremely flexible --takes a light touch

--------

sometimes the flex ones crack stress

• 3 years later...

i wonder how flexy looking is the Esterbrook 9048??? Any writing samples? i have 5 Esterbrooks with one J that would look very nice writing "flex", if that is possible. All my Esterbrook nobs are stiff, which i like for sketching, but never thought about this "flexible" nib.

i wonder how flexy looking is the Esterbrook 9048??? Any writing samples? i have 5 Esterbrooks with one J that would look very nice writing "flex", if that is possible. All my Esterbrook nobs are stiff, which i like for sketching, but never thought about this "flexible" nib.

I have a 9128 (similar to 9048 but EF instead of F) and it's semi-flexible a best. You have to push down really hard to get it to flex at all and I didn't like it for sketching.