The Brahmam Duofold - Big Orange

shrujaya

Dear friends...

I have resumed posting after a long long time…lots of things happened in between which kind of prevented me from posting about fountain pens on a regular basis as I was doing before…that means I was not off fountain pens as such, but somehow something went awry and this kind of lethargy engulfed me and sometimes even when I had strongly made up my mind to post pictures and write about one of the pens that I had acquired, I would sit there staring at the screen…anyway, hopefully all that would be gone with this re-start…during this time Hari would urge me to write and post something and after sometime, he too gave up…but this time, I am determined, I am sitting here in front of my laptop typing this out at 1. 30 at night…Hari, I am back…

This is the pen I’d like to call the Brahmam Duofold Big Orange. I was at Deccan Pen Stores, Abids Branch, Hyderabad, on a mission some time back; and after that, as is customary with me, I asked Mr Wasim if he had anything special to show me…and he took out his special folder and showed me this pen…I fell in love with this pen at first sight…I was shocked and surprised (honestly!!)…I asked him the price and when he told me, my face kind of fell…I wanted this pen desperately and I was in a wretched condition, financially (I still am!!); but I think I lost my senses…I was not in a position to listen to my heart, my head, my conscience…anything at all…I told him confidently that I haven’t brought the money, and that I would buy it and that he should keep it in reserve for me till I call him and tell him that I can’t buy it…Mr Wasim knows me quite well in this sense because I have enacted this drama once before, but the cost of that pen was only a fraction of the cost of this pen…so, what to do now…the only recourse was to beg, borrow, or steal…the only option that appeared sane was to borrow…and so I borrowed vehemently from different sources and managed to put together the total cost of the pen…and triumphantly went and bought the pen, without even giving a thought to how I was going to repay the loans…I had the pen with me, that was enough…

I called it the Brahmam Duofold Big Orange…it is an eyedropper, made of celluloid and looks like a Big Red…I always wanted to have a Big Red, but when I realised how much it cost, I put my desire in the backburner…and this was the closest that I could get to the Big Red…this is the Big Orange…I loved the orange colour and the natural black patterns on orange…the nib as the picture would show is Iridium Tipped Broad and is a US made nib…the name ‘Brahmam’ is engraved on the clip and ‘Brahmam Pen’ on the barrel…it has three gold coloured rings on the cap; a broad one in the middle, and two thinner ones around it…Mr Wasim told me that the clip and rings were ‘gold filled’…the cap jewel and the barrel cap are in black, and I think are made of ebonite…because discussions with a couple of fountain pen makers on celluloid fountain pens revealed that celluloid pipes are usually closed with ebonite caps to make fountain pen caps and barrels…

This pen is now more than 6 months old and you can make out by the partly faded imprint on the barrel…and in the initial days I think the cap fell on a hard surface, (I don’t know when this happened, I don’t remember) and chipped the edge…I didn’t realise this and I happened to see this suddenly and couldn’t do anything about it…couldn’t have got a replacement even if I was willing to pay for another cap…these are designer pens…only a few are made and sold out as soon as they reach the shop…I felt sad, for the pen…such a lovely pen and this chip on the cap…this made me love the pen even more…it had a flow problem initially, but the Deccan people got it rectified and it now writes like a dream…here are some pictures…

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/1BrahmamDuofoldcapped.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange capped

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/2BrahmamDuofoldposted.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange posted

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/3BrahmamDuofoldnib2.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange nib close-up

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/4BrahmamDuofoldcap-clip.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange clip

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/5BrahmamDuofoldimprintonbarrel.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange imprint on barrel

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/6BrahmamDuofoldcapjewel.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange cap jewel

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/7BrahmamDuofoldbarrelend.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange barrel cap

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/8BrahmamDuofoldcloseupofdesignonbarrel.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange close-up of pattern on barrel

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/9BrahmamDuofoldcloseupofdesignoncap.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange close-up of pattern on cap

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/10BrahmamDuofoldcaprings.jpg

The Brahmam Duofold Big Orange cap rings

Thanks for reading and seeing…and there is more to come…

Regards,

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrujaya

• hari317

• akrishna59

• Aysedasi

Beautiful pen Jai. Congratulations! Let me hope that i will get to play with this on my next visit to Hyderabad.

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Beautiful pen.

I am so curious to know how much you payed after reading this post..........but understand if you would rather not say.

www.stevelightart.com

That's a beauty Jai.

Nice to see you posting again.

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

Dear Hari, Stevlight, Taurean...

Thanks for the comments...

Hari...you can play with it when you are in Hyderabad next...we missed meeting each other the last two times...

Stevlight...I paid a lot considering my financial status at that time...ha ha ha...

Taurean...thanks for the welcome...hope to stay put this time...

Regards,

Shrujaya

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

Thats a beautiful pen you've got, Shrujaya. Is it the same size as a Duofold Sr.?

Thanks Skyline and Aysedasi for your comments...

Skyline...I havent seen a Duofold Sr. yet...only pics, so I won't be able to say directly about the size comparison between the Brahmam Duofold and the Duofold Sr...but, I have an Pelikan M800 and and if it is any help, here is a photo with both these pens side by side...I hope some conclusion can be reached...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/bambli_mass/BrahmamDuofoldwithpelikanm800-1.jpg

Aysedasi...these pens are not mass produced...only a few pieces at a time...only one piece of this pen was with the Deccan pens people when I bought this...but you can always get in touch with them and find out, they have started sending pens by mail...so. you might just be lucky...who knows...their address is Deccan Pen Stores, Orient Estate, Opp. Bata Showroom, Abid Road, Hyderabad - 500001 (040 23202306)...

Regards,

Shrujaya

• 3 weeks later...

dear jai,

one of the most beautiful pens that i have ever seen. glad that you are back, missed you very much.

hari has recently got a big red.:puddle:

and you have a big orange. :embarrassed_smile:

now i should also get something, going to make a list of things to sell (it will be a short list anyway):unsure:

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

nice nice nice nice pen! :) I think it would be even better in black and red striped ebonite!

nice nice nice nice pen! :) I think it would be even better in black and red striped ebonite!

Gem and Co. in Madras made a HR Flattop for me in Ebonite:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Gem%20Flattop/IMG_2725.jpg

More pictures here: link

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

dear jai,

post a writing sample when you have time, pls. hari, tks. for the link.

i could not find the chip on the cap, barely noticeable i suppose.

as for other things, there is always a dawn after a dusk, brother. i have not forgotten how kindly you had replied to my queries about the trinity after asking hari, though i was only a two cent worth newbie over here at that time.

cheers,

rgds and best wishes,:thumbup::thumbup:

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

• 2 months later...

Jai,

Being a fan of Duofolds and a fan of Indian pens, I have to say that is really lovely! It's nice to see you back here. I learn a great deal from your posts. It's not easy to be a lover of Indian pens here in the US. Some day I hope to take an extended tour of India, sampling as much pens and food as I can along the way!

Cory

P.S. Hari--that is my favorite pattern of ebonite! :puddle:

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

Thank you for sharing, Shrujaya and Hari! :)

It is always a great pleasure to see the beautiful results of traditional craftsmanship and old fashioned communication and transactions between pen buyers and sellers.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?