Noodler's Ottoman Azure

manythings465

My first review!

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7554/dsc00955nl.jpg

The water resistance is pretty good. If your envelopes or papers get wet somehow you WILL still be able to read them with ease.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/4112/dsc00959l.jpg

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/451/dsc00957h.jpg

The dry time is actually between 5 and 10 seconds but it was fully dry at 10.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9230/dsc00958j.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7785/dsc00962cet.jpg

Subtle shading is shown in the above photo. The camera makes the ink look darker than it should in this picture; sorry about that.

Pens I currently own:

Esterbrook LJ, and an Esterbrook J

Pens in red are my go to pens.

Pens on my wish list:

A nice Pelikan; M200 or higher

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• manythings465

• welch

• Sandy1

• The Royal Pen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it just my monitor, but is it a teal-ish colour?

trpofapprobal.png

Is it just my monitor, but is it a teal-ish colour?

There is a teal tone to it but it is more blue than it is green.

Pens I currently own:

Esterbrook LJ, and an Esterbrook J

Pens in red are my go to pens.

Pens on my wish list:

A nice Pelikan; M200 or higher

Hi,

Many thanks for the Review! :thumbup:

Did you notice any bleed- show-through with that paper?

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I have this ink and it is nothing short of fantastic. I takes on more blue the broader the nib. As for bleed through-- I have not noticed on both cheap and nice paper.

My brain hurts!!!

how is this ink maintenance wise. i.e nib creap, gumming up nib/feed, how long does it take to dry out in the nib if left uncapped unwritten with....

if it doesn't behave badly this could be my next blue

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Noodlers Ottoman Azure for several months and the only complaint I have is that it bleeds through the Blueline notebooks I use at work. For some reason Noodlers Bulletproof Black never bleeds through so I do most of my note taking with it.

how is this ink maintenance wise. i.e nib creap, gumming up nib/feed, how long does it take to dry out in the nib if left uncapped unwritten with....

if it doesn't behave badly this could be my next blue

On a Lamy Al-Star, chrome fine point nib:

Nib creep = 0

I had it uncapped for 6 minutes, 15 seconds (while I warmed up my leftovers) and it wrote within 1/4 inch after touching paper.

In what could be related: unlike other Noodler's inks (Cayenne in particular), this ink doesn't evaporate from the pen nearly as fast as others. Baystate Blue is also good in that regard. I know some of it could be pen-dependent.

Overall, what I like about this ink is that it's dark enough in my pens to not be "turquoise" (my samples are darker than the OP's and not nearly as teal), yet it is still "blue." When someone looks at it, it is blue. It's a nice change to all the dark royal, near navy blues that you get out of ballpoints, gel pens, etc. yet still maintains "business appropriateness." So far, it's just been fantastic.

Here's a scan off the office copier, I tried to color adjust (I do a lot of image work here, so I like to think I'm pretty close to calibrated)

post-49467-0-49448000-1303840494.jpg

Edited by inksmears

Here's a scan off the office copier, I tried to color adjust (I do a lot of image work here, so I like to think I'm pretty close to calibrated)

looks about right to me. one of my favorites.

This is one of my favorite blues. It was the first noodler's I bought and it is one of the nicest I have.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

• 7 months later...

I too really like this ink. To me, it is much more blue than teal and a touch darker than the scans appear - more like the shading shot from the review. It's a great color.

Edited by robinzim

The scan looks the most accurate of the images. I don't see any green it at all. Nice ink, I've been using it for years as my non-waterproof blue.

Peter

I've found that the color of this ink really varies with what pen it's put in. Through a pilot 78g <F> it looks more teal. In my ahab a beautiful blue. The color looks a bit off to me, but that could be due to different pen/paper combinations.

If I could only have one blue ink, this would be it. Just slightly to the green side of blue, i.e. a thin hair greener than PR DC Supershow Blue, and every time I use it I end up staring at the page in amazement at its color. Slightly slower drying than some, but otherwise flawless performance in all my pens. I prefer it in its darker shades, so I don't put it in my Pilot 78Gs, but love it in my Parker 45 (F or M nibs). I don't consider it water-resistant enough to use in my lab notebook (where Walnut, Tahitian Pearl [RIP?], and Aquamarine [RIP?] live) but wonderful for note taking.

I like this ink too, by itself or for mixing with e.g. Shah's Rose.

Just slightly to the green side of blue, i.e. a thin hair greener than PR DC Supershow Blue, and every time I use it I end up staring at the page in amazement at its color.

That color is apparently not easy to achieve:

Comments from Nathan Tardif, owner of Noodlers Ink, LLC*

December 21, 2004... There can be as much as a 5% variation in some of the more complex colors - and Ottoman Azure is one of the most tricky and detailed to make... (...The Azure... is aiming for the tiles of the famous Blue Mosque in Istanbul - not quite a lapis, not a turquoise, not an ocean or sky blue...but a shade unto itself - and being that it is matched by hand and not by computer there is a potential of a 5% variance in my estimation).

(* I'm glad that the Fiorellas have saved some of the information that has come and gone over the years on the Noodler's website!)

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

As the other poster commented, your scan represents Ottoman Azure's color well. I use this ink with Lamy Safari EF (this pen is inked with this ink for some time now).

I find this ink is well behaved; but, I find this is rather saturated ink which makes it difficult to wash ink off my fingers.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I found Ottoman Azure to be well behaved, but too teal for my taste.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight